BM3, AudioShare and samples?

edited September 2017 in General

I'm primarily using BM3 but I also want to be able to get samples from BM3 into Samplr and Borderlands and back in again.

Is AudioShare the best way to do this? How do you do it? And do I keep all my samples in BM3 or AudioShare?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    That is an interesting question. For me, until I get around to iOS 11 and explore the new Files capabilities, I must admit that I'm finding difficult to decide what to use for file management. For a long while, and probably for a long while moving forward, I will likely use AudioShare, AUM and to take and store recordings, offloading to iCloud (or any other storage provider) as needed. At the same time, BM3 sample editor is the best out there (that I know of). I suppose it's really a matter of commitment- is BM3 ready to be used as a file silo? I'd like to think it would be in the future.

From a workflow perspective, until I know more about yours, I'd be inclined to suggest to use AudioShare as your silo, and use AUM (or AudioBus) to make jams and live takes. Do your housekeeping in AudioShare and export what you need and want to fine edit to BM3, using cloud storage as your buffer for overspills.

That said, BM3 has all of the above features, it's just a bit unreliable at the moment and it's filesystem and conventions need a little more work IMHO (far too much file duplication is possible and "too many folders" can confuse flow, for me at least).

I probably didn't answer your question there, but I hope it was something to bounce off. Could you give an example and I'll see if I can walk you through the BM3 approach for comparison?
  • I stuck all of my samples into Audioshare for iOS. It seems to be one of the most compatible and user friendly of the locally stored apps (vs Dropbox). I then just pull specific banks I want to make into BM3 rather than duplicating the whole sample library.

• I just store everything in Beatmaker, I cant be bothered with anything else anymore.

• I think Audioshare’s still easier to drop into other apps like ApeSoft FX, reslice, sector, etc.

• Yeah i just dont bother using anything else anymore, so doesnt effect me, any heavy work editing samples is done on the desktop because a touch screen is useless compared to a mouse for accuracy of fine sample editing, and i have given up on Cubasis and stuff, although i have been enjoying Samplebot lol

• edited September 2017
    Background to this is I just bought an iPad mini 4 to give producing back on an iPad another go after getting fed up with file management and inter-app communication a few years ago.

The release of BM3 and Files in iOS11 triggered this.

Since posting my question I bought BM3, Samplr, Borderlands and AudioShare. I updated to iOS11 too.

First I tried Files. I thought it was going to be true drag and drop from desktop straight to iPad. It isn't. So I bought some extra iCloud space and tried doing it via the cloud. Very long winded and cumbersome. I didn't like it and I didn't like getting my files from the cloud every time I wanted a different hi hat or something. Awful.

So then I tried dumping all my samples into BM3. 50GB via iTunes file sharing. This for me is the best way of doing it. Everything I need immediately at hand in BM3 where I do most work.

Then I tried getting samples from BM3 into Borderlands. So easy. Just select sample, click the export button in bottom right and the sample is dumped into AudioShare. Open Borderlands, choose import from AudioShare and it's there ready to work with. 5 second job. Then to avoid duplication just delete any samples from AudioShare when done.

Love the simplicity!

Next challenge is to record the output of Borderlands and get that audio file back into BM3.
  • @henryo Yeh man, if you have the harddrive space then BM3 is a solid 'base' for samples. And making music in ios in general. I threw all my samples straight in to BM3 too and has proven fast/convenient. I recently also gave ios 2nd chance like you describe, after BM3 release. No regrets so far... It's a way better experience/environment than the one I remembered.. Still frustrating in 'apple' ways, but overall it's no more hassle than getting stuff in/out of most other hardware samplers/synths..
  • edited September 2017
    @Heyez yeah gotta say I'm very impressed coming from running Battery in Logic. Couldn't really ask for more. It's all a massive improvement on the iOS experience a few years ago. BM3 in particular is very impressive.
  • @henryo said:
    Then I tried getting samples from BM3 into Borderlands. So easy. Just select sample, click the export button in bottom right and the sample is dumped into AudioShare. Open Borderlands, choose import from AudioShare and it's there ready to work with. 5 second job. Then to avoid duplication just delete any samples from AudioShare when done.

Good tip, thanks!

• edited March 2018

Its just a fun toy looper thing.