External and simple Desktop software for create instruments

I remember the old Awave, was awesome to convert or create from scratch your own banks and instruments. Cause Its so tedious and time consuming create a instrument with tons of audio layers and details on a iPad screen.
A simple Desktop aplication would do that...
just dreaming, who knows?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Renoise
    Ableton Live
    Reason
    FL Studio

For something simple maybe Caustic
  • edited September 2017

A simple text document instrument defi ition file is needed in BM3, SFZ or their own variant.
    Creating a huge instrument in a text document is very very quick.

Then anybody could create an app, but onviously SFZ being the native instryment is obviously a much better option, its a free completely open standrard, you can support as many of its features as you want, there are tons of editors for creating them already.

But this may not run with Intuas goal of making the store a constant money spinner because of all the free SFZ.
    (And we all want that store to be a money spinner, we all want never ending monthly updates for BM3 ;) a succesful store will make that viable i suspect, just my own personal opinion of course)

• edited September 2017

+1 for Renoise XRNI compatibility.

It's just a 'zip file' with an *.xml file the specifies the instrument and there's no cryptic headers :)
    Samples can be optionally compressed to .flac to save space.

• Renoise style is a good idea, not sure supporting XRNI helps anybody though, while we both love Renoise, neither of us can say that XRNI has a robust enough set of parameters to work with Beatmakers sampler or even a free library worth using.

But yes i agree in the way that it is just a renamed zip file with samples and definition file inside, that works well.

• +10 for .SFZ support

;)

• +1 to THAT!

or... at least a way to load a batch of samples that will auto populate pads. So I could, for instance, have a batch of drum sounds in a zip file or folder, drop it on pad 1 and have the samples fill up the pads.

I have been slow to make banks from my many drum sounds...dreading the process of navigate, audition, drag drop, navigate audition, drag drop... ughh.. the horror... might be a LITTLE quicker to do this in BM2, then open the BM2 preset in BM3.. dunno tho...

• This probably needs splitting off in to its own feature request.

• edited September 2017

Hey guys, after some work here, i was able to convert a old giga sampler instrument here (Using Awave) to .xi instruments. After that i used the Jeremy Evers free tool. to convert .xi to .bmk2 intruments.
    Loaded into Beatmaker 3 and worked!
    The fastest way i found to convert a instrument by now

• Thats absolutely brilliant Mirandah
    So awave is now the number 1 add on for Beatmaker users haha
  • @Mirandah ...yikes! $80 us for Awave!?? Does the free version do what you described?

• Any hints on how to get this working @Mirandah, looks like it is working and says it is doing ist thing, but no sample folder with bmk2 is created.
  • Nevermind, got it working and it just creates garbage wavs of noise, probably because im on win 10
  • Nevermind, it cant do 8 bit wavs, 16 work fine ;)

• No idea if this works or has been mentioned but here is a thing... https://github.com/mpvillada/sfz2bmk2

• I just did an sfz using the awave route, might have to install python and try that out though.

• @Audiogus said:
    No idea if this works or has been mentioned but here is a thing... https://github.com/mpvillada/sfz2bmk2

Thanks, no idea how to run a .py stuff :(

• edited September 2017

@5pinlink said:
    I just did an sfz using the awave route, might have to install python and try that out though.

Tell me if worked. I will try more samples and examples here. Maybe when i have time i will create some templates for use as start. Cause takes really so much time to create a decent sampled instrument

• @mre8 said:
    @Mirandah ...yikes! $80 us for Awave!?? Does the free version do what you described?

I really dont know if the free version does man :( i have an old version and still works fine. I have a lot of instruments here, i worked in a studio for years and got a decent library for me

• @Mirandah said:

@5pinlink said:
    I just did an sfz using the awave route, might have to install python and try that out though.

Tell me if worked. I will try more samples and examples here. Maybe when i have time i will create some templates for use as start. Cause takes really so much time to create a decent sampled instrument

Yes it works, but obviously there is a restriction on opcodes, so things like sustain samples will be ignored, nothing can be done about that.

• Yes, the translation canot be that perfect! Maybe chick system or awave could put bmk3 instruments on their softwares, since they beatmakers users are growing! Or maybe Intua could make that for us. Dont hurt anyone, just will help a lot :D

• Even if they supported it, the conversion wouldnt be any better, the sustain samples as an example, Beatmaker does not support any kind of articulation or layer switching for that sort of thing, things like random/round robin would disappear.

Conversion is fine for simpler things, but at the moment, while it is one of the better samplers on IOS, it is still ridiculously basic compared to a desktop format like sfz or giga.

• The key word for me personally is SIMPLE.

I'm not looking to recreate KONTAKT level sampling, or do round-robins or anything like that.

But a SIMPLE way to load a folder of multi-samples that are properly labeled with ROOT NOTE and convert to .bm3 instrument format mapped out across the keyboard in a single layer.

For years I use this SIMPLE program (http://carrieres.free.fr/sfz.htm) to convert a folder of samples into a properly mapped out one-layer .SFZ instrument which can then be converted into many other formats (akai, soundfont, kontakt, giga, etc) using something like Extreme Sample Converter....

Something SIMPLE like this that would convert into a loadable .bm3 instead of .SFZ would be a GIGANTIC TIME SAVER (for me personally)...

• Just use sfz and convert it to bm2k, there are two options for that above, for simple stuff like that its 3 clicks and done ;)
  • @DeanDaughters said:

But a SIMPLE way to load a folder of multi-samples that are properly labeled with ROOT NOTE and convert to .bm3 instrument format mapped out across the keyboard in a single layer.

Didnt know that man! I really prefer 3 layers or even more...I remember i made a detailed bass for my .bm2 and could use it live and worked well.

• @5pinlink said:
    Just use sfz and convert it to bm2k, there are two options for that above, for simple stuff like that its 3 clicks and done ;)

Did i miss some options? Did you mean:

The Python Utility (I do not use Python)
    The $80 Awave Utility (I do not wish to spend $80)

lol

• Thats no problem, get visual studio and start coding ;)

• Suppose we could always try compiling the python script as an exe, so you dont need to use python.
    See if i have time in the future.

• @5pinlink said:
    Suppose we could always try compiling the python script as an exe, so you dont need to use python.

That would be awesome!

• @5pinlink said:
    Suppose we could always try compiling the python script as an exe, so you dont need to use python.

<3 <3 <3

• Don’t get too excited, I know nothing about python, so would be guesswork haha