Does BM3 support samples in FLAC format?

I’m trying to drop a FLAC file onto a pad but no go.

Comments

• I don't think you can for now drop it on a pad directly.

Since iOS11 now has 'native' support for FLAC I suppose @mathieugarcia could add similar conversion for FLAC files as there currently is for *.m4a files in the file-browser? (I've not checked all the support filetypes yet).

• @samu said:
    I don't think you can for now drop it on a pad directly.

Since iOS11 now has 'native' support for FLAC I suppose @mathieugarcia could add similar conversion for FLAC files as there currently is for *.m4a files in the file-browser? (I've not checked all the support filetypes yet).

Thanks. I have converted a lot of vinyl to FLAC over the years so would like to make that a feature request. Audioshare has a convert to WAV function so will use that for now.

• @GusGranite said:

@samu said:
    I don't think you can for now drop it on a pad directly.

Thanks. I have converted a lot of vinyl to FLAC over the years so would like to make that a feature request. Audioshare has a convert to WAV function so will use that for now.

If you're already running iOS11 you could try to see how BM3 treats those *.flac files?
    (Files that are not directly supported will get a 3 dot vertical menu in the file browser with conversion options).

• As per the desktop, converting files to wav (uncompressed) is the option to take vs using a compressed file type directly, the file will always have to be uncompressed internally for use anyway, which means longer load times and extra resource usage.
    If at all possible an uncompressed file is the way to go (PS i do love FLAC by the way, great format)
  • edited October 2017

@5pinlink bit of a pain having to convert to WAV just from a storage POV but that makes sense.

• edited October 2017

Yeah unfortunately, the more you automate (In this case converting from compressed to uncompressed) within an applications running process itself, the more you start to turn the application in to a resource hog, it is just good practice to work with wav files, even if the app is creating temp offloaded conversions and not storing them directly in RAM, it is still going to slow the app to a crawl if used a lot.
    On the desktop it was always the case of "Well storage is cheap" and while that is not the case on IOS devices just yet, you still have to consider working practices vs resource usage, to be fair I am talking about traditional sampling here, such as loops/drum hits/phrases/multi sampled instrumentation, if we are talking about putting a 50 minute audio file on the timeline I can kind of see the point, but then I would never put a 50 minute audio file on the timeline.
    Anything in the traditional use case as listed above, you should be converting through to wav (That is not to say that BM3s browser could not have a convertor built in of course)

A quick analogy..
    Compressed
    Nurse "Doctor we have found the cure for this patient, but it is written in Klingon"
    Doctor "OK get the translator"
    Translator "Hmmm ack back Magack, hmmm, hmmm"
    A minute later, Translator "You need to hold his hand higher than his head"
    Doctor "Too late he's dead"

Uncompressed
    Nurse "Doctor we have found the cure for this patient, hold his hand higher than his head"
    Doctor "that did it"

Hahaha

• edited October 2017

@5pinlink lol