Easy mastering app for IOS

Hey guys what's a good easy mastering suite sort of app in IOS? I use to use T-Racks but don't have a PC anymore - well a decent one that is lol. Got access to a Mac though but its like 2011 or something.

Comments

• Final Touch by Positive Grid

2011 Mac is extremely powerful still, just downgraded to a 2011 MBP myself ;)

• Interesting maybe I'll hook my old Focusrite soundcard up to it and get hold of T-Racks for Mac and get my tunes properly mastered!!

• I also use Final Touch for quick mastering on iPad. You still need to know some things about mastering, and perhaps some trial and error, but it works pretty well. I can still churn out some badly mastered tracks with it if I'm not careful =)

• Personally i am in the super minority, i think most mastering is complete nonsense, i have no interest in the super loud silliness, most of it is your typical producer wanting something else they can do to an already finished song.

• edited October 2017

I have zero experience here but Audio Mastering is 50% off right now and the devs other apps are top quality: Audio Mastering by iMusicAlbum
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/audio-mastering/id640515541?mt=8

[Edit: there’s actually a bundle of his mastering apps: Audio Mastering series by iMusicAlbum
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app-bundle/audio-mastering-series/id945960166?mt=8]

• Also, the DDMF/Christian Siedschlag apps get good reviews. AU too. Here’s his EQ: 6144 equalizer by DDMF by Christian Siedschlag
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/6144-equalizer-by-ddmf/id1127457881?mt=8

• I've read reviews comparing Audio Mastering and Final Touch, and both of them do a lot of the same things with very similar results, so either should work well. I think I'm gonna grab Audio Mastering today, cuz that's a great price. I've also been considering getting the DDMF nycompressor.

• I have to be honest, I wouldn't actually buy any of them at this point, but I have a desktop, the only reason I grabbed Final touch was they had that deal where it was 70% off, my thoughts right now are not to support any developer who does not update to AU (Again this a very personal choice, not suggesting others do the same)

• With Audio Mastering does anyone know how you get a track created in BM2 into the app? :smile:

• Just downloaded Audio Mastering. Want to master the track 6db RMS. Any clues how to achieve that? Thanks. :smile:

• @The_Bro said:
    With Audio Mastering does anyone know how you get a track created in BM2 into the app? :smile:

It looks like it's limited to general paste board or Dropbox, but it's not working with Dropbox for me. If you can get the audio out of bm2, you should either be able to use "copy to mastering" in the share menu (in audioshare for example), and it'll put the file into the Files section of Audio Mastering, or choose copy from the share menu and then in the Files section of Audio Mastering tap the Share file button at bottom right and finally choose paste at the far right. I have to admit I prefer Final Touch to this app just in terms of UI and file integrations.

@5pinlink what would you recommend in terms of finalizing a track on the iPad? I have a desktop Mac with ableton live, but I don't have any idea what to do to get a finished and polished track (Or the closest thing I can get to that), and I don't have any additional mastering tools there. I do typically take it into Final Touch on my iPad.

• edited October 2017

Personally I think to much thought goes in to mastering nowadays, too much influence is given to the lowest common denominator, phone speakers and crap headphones.
    Some people think a great master is loud as hell, others think it is dynamic, so you need to choose who your audience is, personally I just go old school Rumble/Hiss/Ceiling, that is..
    Rumble - Cut out the lows you don't want
    Hiss - Cut out the highs you don't want
    Ceiling - Very very light limiter to raise the ceiling a little.
    I used to get my glass masters cut at Loud mastering and he did me a discount because he had to do hardly anything at all, because I did hardly anything at all to the master hahaha.

There is an old saying that everybody should keep in their mind at all times when mixing a song down.
    A bad mix can not make a good song bad.
    A good mix can not make a bad song good.

Oh and that doesn't mean I am great at mixing down or mastering or engineering in general, far far far from it, but then neither is your average listener ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A good mix cannot make a bad song good... kind of a subjective statement. I've written tracks where I had given up on them for reasons that I thought I messed up the mix. The original idea seemed lost to me as I had to continually boost channels. Magically days after I heard it fresh the mix sounded great.
  • edited October 2017

Because the EQs and compressors and stuff in these mastering apps are better than most of the tat available as AU hahaha, you could use them as normal effects in your songs ;)

A mastering EQ is just an EQ, a mastering compressor is just a compressor, a mastering limiter is just a litter.
    The UI on Final touch for instance is superb, as an AU it would rival Fabfilters plugins.

• edited October 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:
    A good mix cannot make a bad song good... kind of a subjective statement. I've written tracks where I had given up on them for reasons that I thought I messed up the mix. The original idea seemed lost to me as I had to continually boost channels. Magically days after I heard it fresh the mix sounded great.

But that has nothing to do with the song being good or bad, you are confusing the two, you thought you had a bad mix, it was actually OK, thats not a good or bad song.
    Example, go and listen to most of the songs from the 60s that are so called "Classics" the mix is horrendous on lots of it, we don't notice, why, because the song is good and who cares.

But I am going to step away from this conversation now before somebody accuses me of thinking I know everything or whatever else is normally thrown at me.
    I was asked, I gave my opinion, it is nothing more than that, just opinion.

• IK Multimedia has Lusissen. It's a lot of $ but it comes with presets that take the guess work out of mastering.

I'd love to use it but just not in my budget at all. My approach to mastering these days is getting it up to -6 and cutting the bottom end. The rest of the mix is done in the latter stages of production using the built in tools of whatever app I'm working with.

Soundtestroom and HaqAttack might have some reviews on effects you can get for IOS.
  • Opinion appreciated as always, @5pinlink!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Here's something I just mastered using Audio Mastering. Not really sure about the result. Let me know what you think.

Listen to The Bro - Take me there (4th demo) [Master 1] by The Bro #np on #SoundCloud