Controlling BM3's tempo and start/stop

edited October 2017 in Support

Hi everyone,
Perhaps this has been dealt with already but I couldn't find a suitable thread.
I can't find a way to use an app-based midi controller (link to midi, AUM, MidiBus, Midiflow) to control BM3's tempo. I can get it to start and stop via MIDI, but is it impossible to control the tempo?

Cheers

Comments

• ah, nevermind, i'll just work in-app. I'd delete this pointless message should I know how... :disappointed:

• Ableton Link?
  • Isn’t that something you can do with focus actions? The last option in the list says ‘tempo’. Or maybe Imisunderstand your question...

• Ableton link.
  • Thanks, I realised a more pressing problem is I cant figure out how to run, for example, Ruismaker (or any other beat/loop app thingy) inside BM3 so that it would start and stop with BM3, and play in tempo.

Why I want to do this is I prefer using drum machines so that they let me easily modify a loop and create patterns while they're playing in sync with other stuff, instead of writing separate midi notes or playing the notes by pressing pads.

Do you know what I'm after here?

• Alot of those standalone apps have no extrnal control over their transport.
  • edited October 2017

@HazardHazard said:
    Thanks, I realised a more pressing problem is I cant figure out how to run, for example, Ruismaker (or any other beat/loop app thingy) inside BM3 so that it would start and stop with BM3, and play in tempo.

Why I want to do this is I prefer using drum machines so that they let me easily modify a loop and create patterns while they're playing in sync with other stuff, instead of writing separate midi notes or playing the notes by pressing pads.

Yea, currently not possible with BM3 which is really a shame cause I have a song going in BM2 right now were BM2 syncs/starts/stops Patterning, Elastic Drums, SeekBeats, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Troublemaker as IAA Instruments. There at least 45 other apps that can do this with BM2, I still scratch my head why the capability was not implemented in BM3. I mean Ableton Link is great for live jam but there's no way to start all connected apps at the same time. INTUA had said they would add this functionality back into BM3, not sure what the timeline is for this much needed update.

• edited October 2017
    Yeah ok starting all apps at the flick of a switch is maybe not possible.

Ableton Link compatible apps can match tempo based on any change in any app.

Also you should be using Audiobus if you're not already. Apple IAA is very buggy.
  • edited October 2017

@philowerx said:

@HazardHazard said:
    Thanks, I realised a more pressing problem is I cant figure out how to run, for example, Ruismaker (or any other beat/loop app thingy) inside BM3 so that it would start and stop with BM3, and play in tempo.

Yea, currently not possible with BM3 which is really a shame cause I have a song going in BM2 right now were BM2 syncs/starts/stops Patterning, Elastic Drums, SeekBeats, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Troublemaker as IAA Instruments. There at least 45 other apps that can do this with BM2, I still scratch my head why the capability was not implemented in BM3. I mean Ableton Link is great for live jam but there's no way to start all connected apps at the same time. INTUA had said they would add this functionality back into BM3, not sure what the timeline is for this much needed update.

Im missing something here, those apps you mentioned can be triggered to start and stop via MIDI, so you can create a pattern, and then trigger it, basically like a loop ?
    That is awesome if so !!
    I should really read manuals.

• @5pinlink said:

@philowerx said:

@HazardHazard said:

Im missing something here, those apps you mentioned can be triggered to start and stop via MIDI, so you can create a pattern, and then trigger it, basically like a loop ?
    That is awesome if so !!
    I should really read manuals.

No loop/pattern triggering, BM2 is a linear audio recorder/sequencer. Using BM2's transport control I can start all these IAA apps at the same time and their clocks stay in sync and will stop when I press stop on BM2's transport.

• So just MIDI clock then, yeah they already mentioned that would be back at some point.
  • WOW! Quite interesting. If I turn off Ableton Link in all apps, IAA host SeekBeats, Patterning, ElasticDrums, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Troublemaker in BM2, I can start and stop BM3's transport from BM2 and all apps including BM3 start/stop/sync to BM2's clock. There are so many IAA apps that function extremely well with BM2. The only caveat is the IAA zombie app syndrome. After exiting BM2 I check in MIDI settings to see which apps are zombies, open them manually and close them out but I can live with that for those unique apps that have not made the full transition to iOS AU.