How can I add a new track to a bank in BM3

Hello,
I haven't really been able to use BM3 though I got it when it first came out and this is due to school and a heavy work load. Now that I have some down time I have been playing with BM3 and it seems to be a very powerful app. However one thing I can't find is the new track button. I know how to add new instruments and know how to add new patterns but I don't use the pattern work flow. What im looking for is a way to add a track so I can record a new pattern with the same instrument under the first one I recorded or even layer the patterns if I wanted too. Im sure there is a new track button but I can't find it.

Comments

• Go to mixer view, at the bottom you will see Add Track.
  • edited November 2017

You can currently not create extra tracks that point to a bank/pad.

This is one feature I really liked in BM2 and I think it will come back sooner or later to BM3.

Each pad in a bank already has a dedicated track but there are no tools on the time-line to 'explode' a bank to show each track as an individual object which would be super handy for arrangements.

Also pure-midi tracks that could be used to reference a pad in a bank are still missing.

• In order of icons on the left hand side.....
    In pad view you can hit the + icon at the top and that will create a new bank (That is a track, read below)
    In the arranger you can add tracks by hitting the + icon, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to add bank/add audio track/add send track.
    In the mixer (As @cstep333 advised) you can add tracks by hitting the + Add Track, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to add bank/add audio track/add send track.

You may be getting confused by BM3s abilities though, you cant assign individual tracks to individual pads in a bank, each pad has a lane within the pattern assigned to that bank, so when you move the pattern, every lane controlling a pad will also move.

That being said, I think what you want to do can be done, it is just in a slightly weird way, for each new track you want you just create a new bank (Unless you want an audio track or send track obviously) this will give you an individual track (Pattern) in the arranger for each new bank you create.
    So if you want a new synth track, create a new bank, add the synth to pad 1, now you have a track just for that synth, if you want another synth just create a new bank and put another synth in that and so on and so on.

It is a bit messy because you have two gain stages for everything loaded, it also means you have no bussing without loss of individual track control, no idea why Intua are not seeing that, but they haven't implemented MIDI tracks that can be assigned at this point :(

• edited November 2017

I always loved how Nanostudio lets you explode a midi track into (up to) 4 lanes. This became incredibly useful for layering drum parts, and more complicated overlapping melodic sequences.

Note - none of the 'current' range of iOS DAWs have this feature, including Cubasis - but Nanostudio 2 may change this.

A possible solution in BM3 (and other DAWs) would be if it were possible to de-couple midi tracks from banks, allowing you to choose precisely what bank a midi track plays (or change it later on). This way you could have multiple midi tracks playing through the same bank. In fact, you could easily build a whole song with just Bank A!

• @tk32 requested a lot
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4788/bank-vs-instrument-track-concept#latest
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4797/instrument-tracks#latest

Probably the first ever requested feature for BM3 and definitely across forums the most requested feature.
    Hopefully we get this at some point down the line.

• gonna shout out @DeanDaughters and link to his latest video, which is a fantastic overview of using BM3, including recording in patterns, adding a bank, effects, and mixing! gonna have to recommend this video to anyone who needs help getting going in BM3.

• Hey @ronji - Thank you very much for the kind words <3

• Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

@cstep333 said:
    Go to mixer view, at the bottom you will see Add Track.

@5pinlink said:
    In order of icons on the left hand side.....
    In pad view you can hit the + icon at the top and that will create a new bank (That is a track, read below)
    In the arranger you can add tracks by hitting the + icon, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to add bank/add audio track/add send track.
    In the mixer (As @cstep333 advised) you can add tracks by hitting the + Add Track, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to add bank/add audio track/add send track.

You may be getting confused by BM3s abilities though, you cant assign individual tracks to individual pads in a bank, each pad has a lane within the pattern assigned to that bank, so when you move the pattern, every lane controlling a pad will also move.

That being said, I think what you want to do can be done, it is just in a slightly weird way, for each new track you want you just create a new bank (Unless you want an audio track or send track obviously) this will give you an individual track (Pattern) in the arranger for each new bank you create.
    So if you want a new synth track, create a new bank, add the synth to pad 1, now you have a track just for that synth, if you want another synth just create a new bank and put another synth in that and so on and so on.

It is a bit messy because you have two gain stages for everything loaded, it also means you have no bussing without loss of individual track control, no idea why Intua are not seeing that, but they haven't implemented MIDI tracks that can be assigned at this point :(

Thanks guys but that's not the feature I'm looking for. In BM2 you could use one bank and from that one bank/drum machine you could layer multiple tracks using the same sounds and drum machine. This makes drum programing and recording synths a lot easier imo. For instance say I have a synth loop going that I recorded then I wanted to add a new track so I can record another phrase with that same synth keyboard instrument. This is what I'm looking for, in BM2 it was in the record screen, I would press +track and it would add a track.

@samu said:
    You can currently not create extra tracks that point to a bank/pad.

This is one feature I really liked in BM2 and I think it will come back sooner or later to BM3.

Each pad in a bank already has a dedicated track but there are no tools on the time-line to 'explode' a bank to show each track as an individual object which would be super handy for arrangements.

Also pure-midi tracks that could be used to reference a pad in a bank are still missing.

Damn it! yeah I hope they add this feature then because it was in BM2. The explode a bank feature sounds like a nice addition too. Hopefully they add that.

• @ronji said:
    gonna shout out @DeanDaughters and link to his latest video, which is a fantastic overview of using BM3, including recording in patterns, adding a bank, effects, and mixing! gonna have to recommend this video to anyone who needs help getting going in BM3.

@DeanDaughters said:
    Hey @ronji - Thank you very much for the kind words <3

Awesome, I'll check it out later when I get a chance. Thanks for the tutorial in advance @DeanDaughters !