Infinite encoder knobs not working as expected

Support of MIDI knob increment/decrement (“infinite” encoders), via MIDI RPN/NRPN. This also extend the range of MIDI CC’s to 32766.

I think I might be missing something.

I have 2 Behringer DJ midi controllers that have "infinite encoders" (knobs) and was hoping that this meant I could use them with BM3 now.

Currently, when I map either one of their infinite encoder knobs to a macro, it only moves the macro the tiniest amount no matter how much I turn the knob. Hopefully this video will show up so you can see what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ge8ry3uc72a3bb/2017-12-12 00-28-59 RKEX 1920x1080 30fps.mov?dl=0

Comments

• Thanks @DeanDaughters ! More refinements will be coming this way, there are many ways to handle infinite encoders, I just need more MIDI devices to try this out.

• edited December 2017

We should probably setup a "MIDI gear donation program" haha! I fear for my office space though, and not even talking about the cable spaghetti!

• @DeanDaughters said:
    Support of MIDI knob increment/decrement (“infinite” encoders), via MIDI RPN/NRPN. This also extend the range of MIDI CC’s to 32766.

I think I might be missing something.

I have 2 Behringer DJ midi controllers that have "infinite encoders" (knobs) and was hoping that this meant I could use them with BM3 now.

Currently, when I map either one of their infinite encoder knobs to a macro, it only moves the macro the tiniest amount no matter how much I turn the knob. Hopefully this video will show up so you can see what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ge8ry3uc72a3bb/2017-12-12 00-28-59 RKEX 1920x1080 30fps.mov?dl=0

Same here.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    We should probably setup a "MIDI gear donation program" haha! I fear for my office space though, and not even talking about the cable spaghetti!

What if we had some sort of send out a controller rotation for you like once or twice a month? Like a borrow a controller thing. Do you need specific controllers? New designs old designs?

• edited December 2017

@DeanDaughters @mathieugarcia

I wanted to elaborate on this because I originally tried this on tempo Focus action (was trying fine tempo control) way back and the situation wasn't any different. So I opened up midwrench to diagnose this and my infinite encoders seem to send random values of 0-127 so it never touches the same value as you turn it. BeatMaker 3 currently only looks at the Macro value of 0 or 127 for CC messages on a pad and 0-127 in incremental/decrementals for knobs. Not random values. This is why I think it's not working for certain controllers that use random values to generate the idea of an infinite encoder. Don't know if that explanation helps.

• Thanks @mefisme for the clarification, incremental support is now only added for macros, as you describe. I'll give it a closer look soon :-)

Cheers!

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Thanks @mefisme for the clarification, incremental support is now only added for macros, as you describe. I'll give it a closer look soon :-)

Cheers!

I stand corrected on random values. Im still learning. My infinite coder depends on how fast I turn it. Is this how RPN/NRPN works? RPN universal? NRPN device specific?