iMPC Pro 2 by Akai and Retronyms is out, they got a lot of catching up to do!

Nice to see we have a choice and some competition in the Beatmaker category!

iMPC Pro 2 by Akai Professional

Comments

• It's Retronyms, as far as they are concerned they are already better, they will be around to hype the release for a week or two, a few bugs will show up and Retronyms will disappear, nothing changes hahaha.

I am interested in the Audio track warp though, if they have nailed that it could be awesome, Beatmakers audio tracks are.....lets just leave it st Beatmakers audio tracks are lol

Then again, no audioshare and no files support and no AU effects kind of makes me think WTF ???

• I’ll give it a shot once the bundle is out...
    They managed to add input monitoring to iMPC Pro 2 but left it out from AudioCopy 4. Wonder if they integrated AudioCopy 4 to iMPC Pro 2 for direct access without the need to duplicate the samples. Guess we’ll see soon...

And well, AUv3 s supported but what about their automation?

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    It's Retronyms, as far as they are concerned they are already better, they will be around to hype the release for a week or two, a few bugs will show up and Retronyms will disappear, nothing changes hahaha.

I am interested in the Audio track warp though, if they have nailed that it could be awesome, Beatmakers audio tracks are.....lets just leave it st Beatmakers audio tracks are lol

Then again, no audioshare and no files support and no AU effects kind of makes me think WTF ???

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

@triton100 said:
    Wow looks good

@triton100 @samu @KING IMPC PRO 2 -yeh looks good but for me the only difference to impc pro1 is it has audio tracks - still no auv3 effect support just auv3 instruments.
    No dropbox support /multi stem export/Audioshare export/fx per pad or track..not much new except the UI
    To add the ADSR should by now have knob controls
    I gather AKAI will only allow Retronyms to do the bare minimum or thier other maintream products will not be needed.

• If the sound engine is the same then it's the same app with a paint job. MPC pro drops played notes. It's default mixer settings have the gain jacked up too high making everything extremely loud and over compressed. Compared with BM3 I have zero use for it.

I don't know about their new AudioCopy. Does it integrate with other apps any better now? If it doesn't I'll continue to stick with AudioShare exclusively. I am impressed by the sample content however.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    If the sound engine is the same then it's the same app with a paint job. MPC pro drops played notes. It's default mixer settings have the gain jacked up too high making everything extremely loud and over compressed. Compared with BM3 I have zero use for it.

I don't know about their new AudioCopy. Does it integrate with other apps any better now? If it doesn't I'll continue to stick with AudioShare exclusively. I am impressed by the sample content however.

i hear ya - the IMPC PRO envelopes ADSR was seriously lacking - and don't think I will be in a rush to go for impc pro2 -and sample content wise I been sampling my own sounds for years

• I've not downloaded iMPC Pro 2 yet but I do feel that the integrated Spotify sampling will be a blast but without clearing the samples it will just be for personal amusement :)

• As an existing (and, since BM3, former) user of iMPC Pro, the bloody upgrade pricing structure is a little confusing. By the looks of it, the special upgrade offer allows me to purchase iMPC Pro 2 at a discounted rate of £15 but only if I spend £23 on the sample packs.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

• edited December 2017

@cstep4444 said:
    As an existing (and, since BM3, former) user of iMPC Pro, the bloody upgrade pricing structure is a little confusing. By the looks of it, the special upgrade offer allows me to purchase iMPC Pro 2 at a discounted rate of £15 but only if I spend £23 on the sample packs.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I have no problems with paying for upgrades. I want to give developers incentives to maintain and improve musical apps. With subscription services becoming prevalent, it's only fair that every major update should get some license key upgrade, but I don't think Apple permits that.

This bundle price is steep though.

• @samu integrated Spotify sampling!? That sounds killer! Need to investigate.. Never used Spotify so I don't know how obscure stuff gets on there, like old african/Turkish Lps etc.. Wonder if it has that kind of stuff? but guessing a ton of stuff at fingertips.....

@mathieugarcia guessing akai paying some kind of big premium to host this feature, but if not... ;)

• @cstep4444 said:
    As an existing (and, since BM3, former) user of iMPC Pro, the bloody upgrade pricing structure is a little confusing. By the looks of it, the special upgrade offer allows me to purchase iMPC Pro 2 at a discounted rate of £15 but only if I spend £23 on the sample packs.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

that does seem a bit crazy for real -

• I mean think about it 'Lazy Chop'(if it has that feature) while listening to tracks on Spotify and if iMPC Pro 2 ever gets Files.app integration it will be a nice 'side-kick' to BM3 ;)

• edited December 2017

‘For me’ I’m just sticking with what I got, if fact I’m slowly whittling it down even more. But it seems I get rid of one, and get another lol tut tut.
    Today alone I email two separate iOS developers (and 1 yesterday) about where they are taking their product —>’AUv3’. So I can know if I should keep them.
    I have a folder, let’s say it’s called - ‘Should I delete This’ .. lol.
    I think Impc Pro 2 would soon be in there.

There are so many App’s IAP’s I would Love to get too..
    I guess it’s never enough or too much, but it can be adequate and sufficient.
    But in all fairness “My cup runeth over”.

How many sounds do I need, I can’t use all the ones I already have.

Spent enough cash on apps now. Time for ‘Major’ payback!

For me there are only a few I’m looking forward to:
    1) SynthMaster One!
    2) SynthMaster Player (as AU)
    3) And my dream, would be Fabfilter as AU. (I can dream about whatever I choose)

Apart from those, I’m full (feels that way anyway).. and happy! even if they ^ don’t happen.

I had (past tense) Impc Pro on my iPad for a short time, but still found BM2 fullfiled my drum machine/pad performance needs.

For me, this would just be another time consumer... I wish them all the best though.

BM3 is my mpc! I waited for this a long time, now it’s here, why look for more.
    I was making some powerful tracks on my iPhone 4 with BM2, so..

Too many apps to have em all, I want to get rid of about 10+ more.
    Free up my memory (and my mind). “Minimalism’ Hehe.

I have too much choice already and sometimes that stops me from choosing any. Then I just waste time doing other non music related stuff.
    Time passing very quickly, need to focus! Must focus!

I’m not saying never, I’m just saying, not now! Haha

Hope you all enjoy!

BM3 App of the Year! ..what else do I need... “all/most of the other apps I’ve got”.. lol

King

• edited December 2017

@samu I hear ya :) worth copping this for that workflow alone if it's smooth sailing. Not in a rush to grab it atm but firmly on radar...

• @Heyez said:
    @samu I hear ya :) worth copping this for that workflow alone if it's smooth sailing. Not in a rush to grab it atm but firmly on radar...

I will download it once the bundle is ready...
    (I need to keep track of BM3's 'competition' hehe).

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@cstep4444 said:

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I have no problems with paying for upgrades. I want to give developers incentives to maintain and improve musical apps. With subscription services becoming prevalent, it's only fair that every major update should get some license key upgrade, but I don't think Apple permits that.

This bundle price is steep though.

I don’t have a problem with upgrade prices, but developers should keep it straight forward. I forgot to mention that purchasing the iMPC Pro 2 app is £24.

• I saw posts from retronyms on the audio bus forum that said the price for existing IMPC pro users would be $15. There will be a bundle version released soon that will reflect that price. I am mildly interested in IMPC pro 2 for all of the premade kits. But I am also skeptical because IMPC pro is so buggy that it’s nearly useless. Also a lot of the sounds in IMPC pro are not trimmed correctly, they have a lot of dead air before the sample starts. So overall I’m not getting my hopes up, they generally don’t seem to do very good work over there at retronyms.

• edited December 2017

ADSR Envelope shaping of sounds is a key factor in tight beats specifically on drums Helps to eliminate need for noise gating and increases many variations of a sound - especially if your a sample heavy producer cutting up old breaks etc From what I see impc pro2 still has the weak ADSR - no way as precise a Bm3 - I come from many years on AKAI MPC hardware and Bm3 has really coded ADSR well.

• Not sure how useful ADSR is with short sounds like drums, there is virtually no sustain and the release is either ignored (one shot) or cut off by itself (monophonic) which is exactly how real drums act unless you are doing a choke, which cant be achieved with an envelope anyway.

So i can see why ADSR is not included in pretty much any drum machines.

Not saying there is no use at all for ADSR on drums, but on such short hits, unless you are using looping, I wouldn't avoid a drum sampler for not having ADSR.

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    Not sure how useful ADSR is with short sounds like drums, there is virtually no sustain and the release is either ignored (one shot) or cut off by itself (monophonic) which is exactly how real drums act unless you are doing a choke, which cant be achieved with an envelope anyway.

So i can see why ADSR is not included in pretty much any drum machines.

Not saying there is no use at all for ADSR on drums, but on such short hits, unless you are using looping, I wouldn't avoid a drum sampler for not having ADSR.

@5pinlink Well i'am happy it's in Bm3 for a reason -sometimes drum sounds i.e snare need attack at front of the short hit you speak of - If I'am making laidback type beats an want smooth movement in the loop chops - all drum machines and samplers I use have ADSR
    That's just me though maybe -

• Oh i agree there, ADSR is awesome for sure, but AHD is doozy too ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Oh i agree there, ADSR is awesome for sure, but AHD is doozy too ;)

ADHD even more so.

• As far as I can tell the only "update" audiocopy got was a link to a store where IMPC Pro "2" can be bought.

Retronyms gives lip service to listening to their users. Well we waited for an update and we got it. Surprise nothing new!

• edited December 2017

@Heyez said:
    @samu integrated Spotify sampling!? That sounds killer! Need to investigate.. Never used Spotify so I don't know how obscure stuff gets on there, like old african/Turkish Lps etc.. Wonder if it has that kind of stuff? but guessing a ton of stuff at fingertips.....

@mathieugarcia guessing akai paying some kind of big premium to host this feature, but if not... ;)

• Did you forget to post something there ?
    It's just a quote, is the forum acting up again ?

• edited December 2017

@triton100 said:
    @KING oh wise chilled buddha of the beat maker forum I hear you, and agree. And at the risk of sounding completely dull and repetitive I love bm3 to the hills. I would seduce and marry bm3 in a heartbeat, and have invested a lot of time that I don't readily have, but I guess competition is good etc. And at the end of the day, there's no point trudging up a hill to try and create music, if you can find a smoother work flow elsewhere that gets you where you want to go more easily. But I'm openminded, and have major respect for all of these talented developers.

:)
    100%

Yeah some very good/talented developers around, for realz.
    One thing I’ve noticed (and that is very important) is: the developers who connect with their customers on a real connected level (as much/far as they can) that they are top of this game - (not all developers can do this for various reasons)
    I could call out a few names who do, but it’s not my point, (anyway they know who they are). ;)
    Quick to react, as in; update for a major bug etc, giving customers what ‘they’ want, not what the developer thinks the customer wants, ‘there can be a big difference’ (we don’t all eat/enjoy the same types of food) etc.. ;)
    ... but through emails, forum(s), social meadia etc.. listening, open, and willing to see the customer is always right (right?) lol

Anyway they are top roun these parts! and some very great apps are with us.

Competition is great, some say healthy (not always sure about that) but good yes!
    Complacency in this game is a NoNo, staying a step or 2 ahead - yes yes.
    Anything that drives BM3 forward (customers and or competition) is good.

I’ll no doubt watch a few videos for IMPC Pro 2 and read info here n there etc.

Side note: I always preferred the colour scheme of IMPC’s first version. Some apps, especially those modelled after real hardware, should (or could) look real-ish. Version 1 had that, and ‘felt better’ (to me).
    I guess if it didn’t start that way I wouldn’t miss it, and there wouldn’t be a strong comparison to 2 ‘n’ 3.
    ^ It’s just a side note :)

I wish everyone well, not just developers, but also the customers, and not just the customers - ‘Everyone!’

Bless up!

King