Requesting overwrite prompt / need help / tons of duplicates (SOLVED)

edited December 2017 in Support

I am saving an individual bank in an pre-existing session and copying samples to it's own directory. Then if I save the actual session using save as with the existing name and copy samples to existing session directory I keep getting duplicate samples with [001], [002], [003]. Am I doing something wrong or could BeatMaker 3 look at the session contents (including saved banks) to check for duplicate names and prompt to overwrite duplicate samples if there are any?

Currently it asks if I wish to overwrite the current project because I'm using the same name. But it isn't overwriting the banks inside as expected and creating alot of duplicate files. At least I think this is what happening.

I no longer have this problem as I understand how the file management works in BeatMaker 3

Comments

• House keeping, now you can see why I tell people to create full folder structures and only save with samples when you are ready to archive the project.

• @5pinlink said:
    House keeping, now you can see why I tell people to create full folder structures and only save with samples when you are ready to archive the project.

Yeah this is going to keep me nice and busy for awhile.

• i'm going to have to work this out pretty soon or it's going to turn in to the equivalent of a floordrobe

• @5pinlink said:
    House keeping, now you can see why I tell people to create full folder structures and only save with samples when you are ready to archive the project.

@canister said:
    i'm going to have to work this out pretty soon or it's going to turn in to the equivalent of a floordrobe

It also happened to replace the samples in my session with the copies and I deleted the copies. Since it has an alternate name BM3 can’t find the original file even though it’s right there in the folder structure. So now it’s time to go each pad that had the original sample and and re-load to existing layer. In my case I can’t use replac sample because colors change when you do that. This is really bad in my opinion. Oh well.

• edited December 2017

Yeah again, i cant stress the importance of structuring and full file naming, house keeping is terrible in BM3 and IOS in general.

• edited December 2017

Another word of warning that may avoid future catastrophes...

This may be obvious to many, but if you create a new blank session then start recording (or editing) samples before saving the session with a name... all those samples are stored, and remain, inside the 'unsaved sessions' folder structure.

If you later delete that folder you'll likely get the dreaded 'missing samples' error message - which means your precious track will probably be missing half its sounds!

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    Yeah again, i cant stress the importance of structuring and full file naming, house keeping is terrible in BM3 and IOS in general.

I downloaded your forum resources file structure just now. How does this alleviate this by having a custom directory?

• edited December 2017

It doesnt aleviate anything, that structure is to make it easier loading/using the forum resources.

The only recordings you should have saved with your sessions are ones you record specifically for that session, if you plan on doing recordings, like TK32 has said, you need to save the session.
    Now saving the session is great and its in the session folder and.......wait, BM3 is already deciding where youre files go by putting everything in the session folder.
    This should be a massive flashing red light warning to everybody "BM3 is trying to tell me, where MY files should go"

1 load BM3 and create new session.
    2 Immediately save the session with a name and then create new session (Yes stupid i know, like i say, BM3 housekeeping is horrible)
    3 Open BM3 browser, go to documents and create yourself a session folder for this saved session, where YOU want your session files and recordings to save to.
    4 Go to the session folder and move the saved session file to YOUR folder (starting to realise how much of a mess BM3s saving is yet ? its designed for saving and shipping sound store content)
    5 Now when you record in that session, everything should record to your session folder and be nice and tidy, just make sure you save this session ALWAYS before closing BM3, otherwise you fall again in to the horrible world of unsaved sessions.

The problem BM3 developers have is this, most IOS users are, for want of a better wording, dumb as dog shit, they do not want to ever do any housekeeping, because "This is IOS, I am too busy, Everything should just work without me doing anything, Everything should always save/load on its own, and if i need to do anything, you better supply me with step by step instructions, or just do it for me instead, when it doesnt work exactly how i expectbit to work i am going to give you bad reviews and stomp my feet at whatever spoilt child forum i can"

So while they have given us the tools to do our housekeeping, it is still a ball ache, because they have to pander to the lowest common demonkeynator.

• Totally understand.

• @5pinlink this may seem really silly but they should bring ftp file transfer back for advanced users. I would use this to manage my files this way in BM2 all the time.

• FTP is great, but the new files app shows you the full folder structure, this is accessable via ifunbox or imazing etc on the desktop, which is no different to FTP really other than you cant do it wireless.

If FTP is worth the development time with that in mind is neglible.
    On the desktop do you use an FTP to sort your files, not really.

Being able to access external NAS drives, now that i can get on to massively :)

• edited December 2017

FYI if you accidently do create an unsaved session you need to recover, as long as your samples are named well, you shouldn't have any issues.

1 load the unsaved session.
    2 Save the unsaved session with samples/audio.
    3 Create your session folder and move all the files there (probably just as easy to rename the session folder and move it where you like)
    4 Open the session folder and delete all the duplicated samples.
    5 Reopen the session, let it search for missing samples, then save the session.
    (again, importance of sample naming that i stress regularly)
    6 now you should have a session folder with recordings, but samples should be located in their original location in the folder structure, so no duplication.

The difference between samples and audio recordings is something that needs noting here, both the same thing technically, but samples should be stored in a permanent folder structure, recordings are session specific.
    People who dont differentiate between the two end up with never ending duplication and storage issues.

• @5pinlink said:
    FTP is great, but the new files app shows you the full folder structure, this is accessable via ifunbox or imazing etc on the desktop, which is no different to FTP really other than you cant do it wireless.

If FTP is worth the development time with that in mind is neglible.
    On the desktop do you use an FTP to sort your files, not really.

Being able to access external NAS drives, now that i can get on to massively :)

I didn't know what ifunbox was til just now. Thanks for all these details as well. Time to build a file Management system for sure.

• Ifunbox = miracle