Screen becomes unresponsive

In Song mode the zoom tool locks and I can't use the song/arrange view at all, without app restart.
https://youtu.be/OwVrfH1MT0M

Comments

• edited December 2017

@EkkoPunkt said:
    In Song mode the zoom tool locks and I can't use the song/arrange view at all, without app restart.
    https://youtu.be/OwVrfH1MT0M

@EkkoPunkt I posted the same issue 2 days after the 3.0.8 update - still no reponse from @mathieugarcia - I have not used BM3 since - not because I don't want to but its impossible to. I can understand bugs here and there but for it to be happening in crucial song arrangement makes it unusable for me.
    It happened on both my ipad air2 and ipad pro iOS 11

• Occasionaly I get 'wonky' pinch zoom with the inability to set the song range. It does require a BM3 restart and in my case has nothing to do with dragging patterns into the song as I pretty much never do this.

• Hey everyone,

We'll look into that one for sure.

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

• @Audiogus said:
    Occasionaly I get 'wonky' pinch zoom with the inability to set the song range. It does require a BM3 restart and in my case has nothing to do with dragging patterns into the song as I pretty much never do this.

yep your right it does it when it wants - annoying and really disrupts workflow

• Happens to me maybe once an hour on my ipad5 and I have not lost anything.

• The plus and minus zoom controls are all wonky. Zoom + doesn’t even work for me and zoom - always goes to the beginning of track. Always.

• @mefisme said:
    The plus and minus zoom controls are all wonky. Zoom + doesn’t even work for me and zoom - always goes to the beginning of track. Always.

I'am in agreement This happened to me too..

• I watched the video in the first post, but I can’t figure out what is causing the problem in it. I’ve tried to replicate it but I can’t. I can tell the trigger seems to have to do with the loop region, as the video shows the loop region as orange, which should only happen during loop region movement (when you tap and slide the loop region bar). It seems this video wasn’t recorded until the issue was already present, not before.

What I have been able to do is reliably get the single finger zoom bug to happen when I drag in a pattern and then use another finger to zoom, even slightly, before dropping the pattern. In fact, it seems like the simple action of brushing the screen with a second finger will do it. I’ve found that the location of the second touch while moving the pattern into place is where the ghost finger is held down, so you can zoom in and out by considering the placement of the ghost finger. Even if you don’t know for sure where this ghost finger is, you can figure it out by paying attention to the zoom behavior. I’ve gotten the screen to ‘snap out of it’ by either long tapping a bank icon to pop up the menu, or by doing misc things in the other screens, OR by just happening to re-touch the ghost finger’s location. This led me to accidentally fixing the issue without knowing how, until I figured out I was sliding past and releasing the hold. Consider this bug could happen if you’re using your index finger to drag a pattern or midi file and then you accidentally touch the screen with your thumb or palm.

• That said, I just got this ghost finger bug with a vengence, and haven’t been able to exorcize it with my previously mentioned tricks. That said, holding a finger down allows me to select and move patterns on the timeline, as if the one finger distracts the ghost finger while it’s held down :joy:
    Still working on a fix that doesn’t involve quitting the app.

• @ronji said:
    That said, I just got this ghost finger bug with a vengence, and haven’t been able to exorcize it with my previously mentioned tricks. That said, holding a finger down allows me to select and move patterns on the timeline, as if the one finger distracts the ghost finger while it’s held down :joy:

@ronji thanks for feedback - I'am gonna be straight to the point - it's a mess - like you said it attacks the screen with a vengence - can't do anything with bm3 but sample at this stage - and I'am tired of non stop bugs that have grown into huge insects - it's a shame a "bug" as crucial as this was not deeply tested before release - Not my intention to put down INTUA but lets remember the customers intention to put down cash money - a few small bugs cool but this is major -3.0.7 and now 3.0.8

• edited December 2017

@beatmakerstorm said:

@ronji said:
    That said, I just got this ghost finger bug with a vengence, and haven’t been able to exorcize it with my previously mentioned tricks. That said, holding a finger down allows me to select and move patterns on the timeline, as if the one finger distracts the ghost finger while it’s held down :joy:

@ronji thanks for feedback - I'am gonna be straight to the point - it's a mess - like you said it attacks the screen with a vengence - can't do anything with bm3 but sample at this stage - and I'am tired of non stop bugs that have grown into huge insects - it's a shame a "bug" as crucial as this was not deeply tested before release - Not my intention to put down INTUA but lets remember the customers intention to put down cash money - a few small bugs cool but this is major -3.0.7 and now 3.0.8

@ronji @KING was kind enough to show a slight fix which was to click the track automation option and the top screen will work again..it works though this is not the most perfect option as you lose screen real estate/space

• You had the option of a refund, stop bad mouthing Intua and beta testers at every opportunity, it is very very boring, yes it is a nasty bug, everybody gets that.

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    You had the option of a refund, stop bad mouthing Intua and beta testers at every opportunity, it is very very boring, yes it is a nasty bug, everybody gets that.

cool tough guy - I speak the truth - I start my posts always with a "not knocking INTUA - "
    is that cool "man from the North"
    @5pinlink We have all become beta testers..which I don't mind at all - it's not about the money, and maybe look back at some of your own posts.

• I am going to ignore your name calling (again) just stop will you, like i said you are very boring.
    You speak the truth but you always start your posts with "not knocking Intua" except in this thread where non of your posts start with that.
    Just a reminder, very boring !!

• @beatmakerstorm editing your posts after a reply is bad form, why do i need to go and look at my posts, I am Intuas harshest critic and will point out floors in Beatmaker all the time, I don't attack Intua or the developers personally or beta testers, and no we are not all beta testers, that statement just shows you know nothing whatsoever about beta testing.

• @5pinlink said:
    @beatmakerstorm editing your posts after a reply is bad form, why do i need to go and look at my posts, I am Intuas harshest critic and will point out floors in Beatmaker all the time, I don't attack Intua or the developers personally or beta testers, and no we are not all beta testers, that statement just shows you know nothing whatsoever about beta testing.

@5pinlink

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:
    People naturally get frustrated because they love making music especially with this app, and they want beatmaker to be the best, but let’s also remember all the work that intua are doing.

This is a really not cool bug, but it’s a really sophisticated app. There’s just nothing like it. Maybe some are coming close but still. Intua have put out regular updates. They are on the ball. People are human. Tech programming is not always straight forward unless you’re making flappy bird or some shit like that. So coding is bound to get buggy at times. But this is intua’s baby. They are porting to iPhone and desktop. This will most likely be fixed soon. @beatmakerstorm have faith mate, hopefully the frustrations won’t last too long. Hang in there. This app is serious.

@triton100 cheers geeza - big respect to you - peace

• the workaround @KING posted is good for navigating during the bug, and holding your finger down on the screen can also allow you to make some last adjustments with a second finger before you resort to saving, quitting, and relaunching the app, but so far seems like a reproducible bug relating to secondary touches . it would help intua if people can share exactly what they're doing when this happens. I'm not so sure it happens randomly. I was messing around with pinch zooming like mad trying to reproduce this but I wasn't able to until I started getting weird. less criticism of the app or each other and more help trying to nail down the ways this bug is triggered. I just accidentally triggered this again, the bad one, pretty sure because I let my palm touch the screen somewhere while pinch zooming.

• For all of you that are having problems I still can't replicate the timeline issues everyone is having. All I did was backup my files, uninstalled bm3 completely, reinstalled from the app store, and this hasn't happened since.
    This was shortly after the bug was found. The only problem I have related to this post is with zoom. Pinching sliding dragging all works! I suggest everyone try this if you know how to backup your BeatMaker 3 files. It might solve alot of us the bad mouthing and what not.
    There may be a lot of bugs but try the work-arounds people mention. It might help save the attitudes.

Also, if you can... give the devs a break. We, as users, have received consistent updates every month since July. I find most bugs as I tinker. Not because I want to find them. If I do, I post them and move on. The software is not even 5 months old. Everything implemented so far is unique and unlike other DAWs. I'm not going to dog developers that are part of this community. It's just disrespectful. Sorry for giving two cents, but I wish we could all enjoy what we have so far.

• edited December 2017

@mefisme said:
    For all of you that are having problems I still can't replicate the timeline issues everyone is having. All I did was backup my files, uninstalled bm3 completely, reinstalled from the app store, and this hasn't happened since.
    This was shortly after the bug was found. The only problem I have related to this post is with zoom. Pinching sliding dragging all works! I suggest everyone try this if you know how to backup your BeatMaker 3 files. It might solve alot of us the bad mouthing and what not.
    There may be a lot of bugs but try the work-arounds people mention. It might help save the attitudes.

Also, if you can... give the devs a break. We, as users, have received consistent updates every month since July. I find most bugs as I tinker. Not because I want to find them. If I do, I post them and move on. The software is not even 5 months old. Everything implemented so far is unique and unlike other DAWs. I'm not going to dog developers that are part of this community. It's just disrespectful. Sorry for giving two cents, but I wish we could all enjoy what we have so far.

@mefisme I respect your post and fair points made - I think maybe my words a bit strong cos I went out and bought top of the range ipad pro before installing bm3 - I literally cant use it to arrange at all but I rest my case good luck to all bm3 beatmakers

• edited December 2017

@mefisme said:
    For all of you that are having problems I still can't replicate the timeline issues everyone is having. All I did was backup my files, uninstalled bm3 completely, reinstalled from the app store, and this hasn't happened since.

@ronji said:
    the workaround @KING posted is good for navigating during the bug, and holding your finger down on the screen can also allow you to make some last adjustments with a second finger before you resort to saving, quitting, and relaunching the app, but so far seems like a reproducible bug relating to secondary touches . it would help intua if people can share exactly what they're doing when this happens. I'm not so sure it happens randomly. I was messing around with pinch zooming like mad trying to reproduce this but I wasn't able to until I started getting weird. less criticism of the app or each other and more help trying to nail down the ways this bug is triggered. I just accidentally triggered this again, the bad one, pretty sure because I let my palm touch the screen somewhere while pinch zooming.

yep @KING remedy seems the best so far

• @mefisme as a person who hasn't found this bug, please try to replicate it like so:

in the first 30 sec, I trigger the bug by dragging a pattern and touching the timeline with a second finger before dropping the pattern, and then I fix this by long pressing a bank. I then spend the next 30 seconds trying to trigger the bug with my palm while pinch zooming, I do at about 0:55, and I then accidentally fix it somehow in less than 5 seconds. I then keep trying to trigger the big bug, and at around 1:50 I do, and the timeline does not allow panning or zooming but does allow selecting and moving patterns, during which time the automation lanes do work for panning and zooming. I try a lot of things to get around this, but end up quitting and restarting the app at 3:00. at around 3:20, I trigger the mean ghost finger bug that keeps zooming with one finger. I think the second and third triggers have to do with either the track automation button or the pattern options buttons at the bottom right of the screen, at least in my case.

for those who are frustrated at this bug because they get it too often, try and navigate with your careful pokey fingers rather than a more relaxed method that might allow accidental touches. you know what I mean.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

@triton100 plz try and replicate any of the 3 triggers in the video I just shared. I don't think this is prevented by hard database resetting (I've done that several times on different occasions), and I don't think it has to do with samples or RAM, unless having less RAM available increases the likelihood of a ghost touch.

• edited December 2017

@ronji said:
    @mefisme as a person who hasn't found this bug, please try to replicate it like so:

in the first 30 sec, I trigger the bug by dragging a pattern and touching the timeline with a second finger before dropping the pattern, and then I fix this by long pressing a bank. I then spend the next 30 seconds trying to trigger the bug with my palm while pinch zooming, I do at about 0:55, and I then accidentally fix it somehow in less than 5 seconds. I then keep trying to trigger the big bug, and at around 1:50 I do, and the timeline does not allow panning or zooming but does allow selecting and moving patterns, during which time the automation lanes do work for panning and zooming. I try a lot of things to get around this, but end up quitting and restarting the app at 3:00. at around 3:20, I trigger the mean ghost finger bug that keeps zooming with one finger. I think the second and third triggers have to do with either the track automation button or the pattern options buttons at the bottom right of the screen, at least in my case.

for those who are frustrated at this bug because they get it too often, try and navigate with your careful pokey fingers rather than a more relaxed method that might allow accidental touches. you know what I mean.

A few or more points I will make and I think it's fair (bug or not):

1. iOS doesn't have palm rejections unless using the Apple pencil and even then, it has to be supported by the app. So resting your palm or finger is triggering multitouches no matter what.

2. I can recreate the bug you have posted here everytime only with a multitouch gesture of specifically resting a touch outside the working area after add a track. Any other time, ghost finger doesn't happen.

3. If you hold your thumb drag and not let go and move both fingers simultaneously you can see what's happening. It's specifically glitching the drop. I wouldn't call that a bug necessarily because the steps to produce it are outside the workable area to drop a pattern. Examine your grid. Are you supposed to be able to drop a pattern there?

4. The timeline zoom/pan bug (whatever you call it) is fixed Everytime with a bank hold.

EDIT
    I suggest using more banks and it won't happen. You may drag to the wrong bank but that's better than this.

**ANOTHER EDIT*
    I stand corrected. You can't drop patterns with midi outside of bank lanes. So if you rest your thumb on FX lane it can happen as well. Sorry for the bad clarification.

• @ronji Oh and I get the heavy hand issue. Song timeline editing is exhausting. I could see how this is frustrating. But 3.08 was a rush update to fix a much worse issue. If I had an older version like 3.05 or 3.04 I'd be curious if it did it there to. Your steps are very specific.

• just to be clear, I'm not saying there's a good reason to trigger this bug. I never came into contact with this bug until intentionally trying to reproducing the issue. I appreciate the tips you're providing to others, but mainly trying to nail down what causes the bug, because these things shouldn't happen just because someone throws down an unintentional touch while trying to zoom or drag a pattern, even if it's outside of the working area.

• edited December 2017

@ronji said:
    just to be clear, I'm not saying there's a good reason to trigger this bug. I never came into contact with this bug until intentionally trying to reproducing the issue. I appreciate the tips you're providing to others, but mainly trying to nail down what causes the bug, because these things shouldn't happen just because someone throws down an unintentional touch while trying to zoom or drag a pattern, even if it's outside of the working area.

Oh yeah bud I'm agreeing with you. If there's a fix for it, Intua will get it solved. This video helps. But it really could be a multitouch (drag and drop) iOS 11 issue and/or UI design limitation. Think about this for a sec with me. That area is all multitouch for scroll and zoom, but not for pattern drops which is why it shows a red line of FX lanes or a red x when on the grid. So timeline functionality gets screwed up as soon as this happens. Your two fingers will always register zoom. Trying to drag and drop while doing this is bound to cause this. Hopefully there’s a solution. But in the meantime..if you want the full screen real estate and don’t want to use track automations when it happens, use more banks. Seems to still drop the pattern. I do think drag and drop is nice is iOS 11 on iPad, but Apple’s rotation of product is currently focused on iPhone. Could be apple and limitation of drag and drop. I don’t see anything iOS specific that allows me to drag and touch two fingers. It’s drag and select multiples across the entire OS.