Wave timestreching

Hello there and happy new year

Someone know why wave file can't automatically stretch to the lenght scene when dragged on it ?

Comments

• BM3 doesnt detect tempo, you have to do that after the sample is loaded, and without being unkind it is absolutely useless anyway.

• Wonder if various autostrech functionality will arrive before the desktop bm3 versions are released? Seems like a 'must have' really if stepping in to the main arena ;)

Also audition sync to project bpm while browsing..

• I suspect it will happen at some point.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2018

Manual is super easy, you just need to make sure the tempo of the sample is set right, which is also simple enough.
    ((Samplerate x 60)/Number of samples) x Number of beats
    I hope Intua implement it this way, it is way more accurate than any auto detection.

Take the samplerate of the audiofile you want to stretch (96k is 96000, 44.1 is 44100 etc) multiply that by 60 to get the number of samples per minute, then divide it by the number of samples total in the audio file, multiply by number of beats in the audiofile, you now have a sample accurate tempo for the audio file :)

Now just turn on livestretch or autoscale.

I have sent that formula to @mathieugarcia and there is a reason that this is the preferred method over any auto tempo matching too, auto tempo matching can never actually match tempo properly because it is guessing number of beats, with this technique, the user only ever has to enter number of beats and it is sample accurate, so if you have an audio file that is 5 beats long, you can tempo match it, auto tempo match can not do that.
    Auto everything is not always the best route ;)

• @Heyez said:
    Wonder if various autostrech functionality will arrive before the desktop bm3 versions are released? Seems like a 'must have' really if stepping in to the main arena ;)

Desktop ??? Really ?

• @znomusic said:

@Heyez said:
    Wonder if various autostrech functionality will arrive before the desktop bm3 versions are released? Seems like a 'must have' really if stepping in to the main arena ;)

Desktop ??? Really ?

Yeah apparently it's coming.. Intua are gonna be megacorp in a couple of years. Updates from @mathieugarcia from his jet ;) Having that kind of integration between portable and desktop is gonna be like full ableton on iPad with transfer to desktop.. Or possibly better actually once intua have had time to take the app where they want it to get to...

• It would be nice !

• Hellz Yeh!

• @triton100 said:
    ok this is interesting - although somewhat of a maths lesson to undertake each time, despite being a simple equation, but when you say number of samples what do you mean by that ?

Number of samples in the audio file, its length in samples.

• There ya go mate ;)

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    BM3 doesnt detect tempo, you have to do that after the sample is loaded, and without being unkind it is absolutely useless anyway.

Auto detect is useless because it’s not looking at the last bar of a sample’s duration when attempting to tempo match (the number of ticks past bar 3) given your sample is Beat/tempo matched (you played your instrument in time/quantized). This is actually a bug I think. Instead it’s following a 1:2 ratio with itself (beats/bars/1/2,1/4, etc) rather than attempting to detect the tempo of the full sample duration.

We would have a lot less problems time stretching and using Beat sync if auto detect just counted the ticks past bar 3.

• edited January 2018

Auto detect simply isn’t accurate, it’s a pointless exercise, my formula above is sample accurate every single time, if it was implemented by the developers, user would just enter number of beats, and bam, sample accurate tempo locked tighter than a ducks bomb door.

Even when auto detect works it will still confuse doubles like 120 bpm and 240 bpm, above formulae new will ;)

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Auto detect simply isn’t accurate, it’s a pointless exercise, my formula above is sample accurate every single time, if it was implemented by the developers, user would just enter number of beats, and bam, sample accurate tempo locked tighter than a ducks bomb door.

Even when auto detect works it will still confuse doubles like 120 bpm and 240 bpm, above formulae new will ;)

I know what your saying. I use the formula. Just easier to me to use formula I mean. It needs to be implemented. +1. Not everyone is math-capable.

• edited January 2018

I’m on a push to get the detect tempo upgraded to this formula with @mathieugarcia, hopefully he can find the time in the next few releases to take a look (trust me, he has been busy as flip tracking down a timing issue, that won’t even get a mention on the release notes, but is very very important)

• And that statement about “not everyone is math-capable” isn’t targeting anyone. It’s just truth for many.

• edited January 2018

I personally like knowing how to calculate samples and rates, convert to milliseconds and vice versa. Makes me a better musician and also allows me to put effects in time.

Also, always try to know the tempo/bar length/beats of your samples ahead of time. @5pinlink has a great article about the importance of sample naming too in tips/tricks.

• To be fair this isn’t that advanced math, but google it and you simply can’t find this formula, its a pain, it just lists calculators, so there may be an online calculator to do the job but the basic math explained is not.

This is it broken down
    SR = Samplerate of audio file you are calculating.
    NS = Total length of audio file you are calculating in number of samples.
    NB = Number of beats in the audio file you are calculating.

(SR x 60) = the total number of samples in one minute for that Samplerate.
    (SR X 60) / NS) = the number of times the audio file can be played in one minute.
    ((SR x 60) / NS) x NB) the total number of beats per minute.

Hopefully that’s help for anyone who needs it ;)

• edited January 2018

@triton100 sample duration can be measured by beats, number of samples, seconds in BeatMaker 3. This is what he's showing you in the video. What are you trying to time stretch properly? Do you know the tempo of your sample? Do you know how many bars it is? BM3 already tells you the number of samples total in your wav/aiff file. You can see this at any point between start end points and with the selection tool.

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Look at the end marker, when i touch it, it shows total number of samples in the file ;)

• Im out at the moment, will do you a tutorial with talking in the morning.

• @5pinlink said:
    Look at the end marker, when i touch it, it shows total number of samples in the file ;)

He’s clearer than I am. Lol.

• In fact that true what say @5pinlink it’s not so difficult to feet the loops manually

• @triton100 forgot to post this for you as well
    http://www.bertkoor.nl/MusicCalc.html

Just type in number of beats and number of samples, bam tempo ;)