New „Step“ and „Repeat“ Mode in Performance View

Hello BeatMaker Team,

First of all i would like to say thank you for your efforts with your software.
I discovered it by watching YouTube Videos from Henny - Tha Bizness (well known HipHop Producer).
Your software is amazing. It literally made me sell some Hardware ;-)

I got 2 feature requests though which would make the working in BM3 so much more effective for me.
I worked with Imaschine2 and Garageband. There are 2 features which i would love to see in BM3 in a later update.

First the „Step Mode“ in IMaschine 2 is super intuitive and mimics the way i work in my Maschine MK2.

I would love to „perform“ live in the „Step“ mode without going to pattern mode and draw my patterns.
Would be much easier this way (at least in my opinion).

I made a quick image edit how it could look in BM3:

The second feature would be to implement „Note Repeat“ in the Performance View in a easy way like Garageband for iOS implemented lately in their beat sequencer.

I also made a quick and dirty image edit too:

This 2 features would make your software a perfect 10 for me.

P.s. There could be a velocity mode too, were you can adjust the volume on the Pad itself...oh well i guess the two above would make me (and maybe some other folks) happy in the first place.

Thanks in advance.
Sedat

Comments

• +1. This would be pretty cool and mock-up images you made look good with the UI; not straying to far from what is already existing.

• So what...now we want Intua to not be Intua?

• I actually like those features. Especially for drums it’s easy and fast and you don’t have to leave the screen. Really nice when you got a good groove going and you just want to try something and you don’t have to go to the piano role and have to fight that catastrophe. I thought about asking for it myself a couple weeks ago. It’s smart just like putting the midi panic button on the same screen where the midi is not deep inside a menu somewhere.

It’s not really stealing when these ideas are out there and they already used the imaschine velocity and repeat mode.

• edited January 2018

Press stop twice for MIDI all note off (MIDI panic)

Personally i don't see a value in this step sequencer over the step sequencer we have (just my opinion, nothing more) that said there is already a feature request thread for this.

Side note XOX in Rozeta is awesome for this too.

• @5pinlink said:
    Press stop twice for MIDI all note off (MIDI panic)

It would be great if bm3 didn’t go haywire after pressing stop twice especially when working with au’s.

• @stormywaterz said:
    I actually like those features. Especially for drums it’s easy and fast and you don’t have to leave the screen. Really nice when you got a good groove going and you just want to try something and you don’t have to go to the piano role and have to fight that catastrophe. I thought about asking for it myself a couple weeks ago. It’s smart just like putting the midi panic button on the same screen where the midi is not deep inside a menu somewhere.

It’s not really stealing when these ideas are out there and they already used the imaschine velocity and repeat mode.

I’ve got quite a few problems myself with the repeats and rolls features in BM3 how they are currently implemented, but to copy and try to implement everything how it’s like in GarageBand or iMaschine just isn’t an innovative strategy. It's actually potentially dangerous. I absolutely like iMaschine and GarageBand, but dislike that iMaschine and GarageBand are really proprietary to their own designs. An app company starts copying things, and bad things could happen. I would hope one day Apple and NI maschine open up their software with Newer versions to use them as controllers for other software. I’m afraid, they never will. But I will still dream.

Who knows, that's why we have these forums and the ability to request features. Keep em' coming. It's interesting to see what people want.

• @5pinlink said:
    Personally i don't see a value in this step sequencer over the step sequencer we have (just my opinion, nothing more) that said there is already a feature request thread for this.

Have you tried it in imaschine or the big maschine? Laying drum patterns down is easy in this mode. Don’t have to fight the piano role. Hit your pad and pop up steps on the pads using 16 as your marks and if we are using the 64 steps mode that could go along way with planning patterns. And what step sequencer do we have? Are you talking piano roll?

Everyone copied from somewhere(16 pad pattern is an example or a piano roll idea). That’s how it all starts then you make it your own. I’m not saying ripoff but study and improve and set a standard.

• You don't need to use the piano roll now, just like Maschine desktop we have a step editor too, I know Maschine desktop fairly well :)
    I can see the value of this when hardware is connected and using pads for sure, but yeah like i say though, there is already a big thread asking for this, so i suspect it is has been looked at by devs.

Fyi the AU going mad on double stop is fixed in 3.0.9 ;)

• @mefisme said:
    So what...now we want Intua to not be Intua?

Good Morning. No i just brought in 2 feature requests which for some people could improve their workflow. As i said Intua did a great job and is now a 9/10 for me. This 2 would make them a 10/10 for me. And i can only speak for me.

It‘s also not about copying like stormywaterz said. Maybe to take this 2 ideas and my mockups play with it and eventually come with a better approach.

If a company like Intua decides to make a feature similar to a competitor they will clearly check if it is legally possible or protected by any patent or something.

I also liked the idea of stormywaterz if the „Step“ Mode had a 64 Pad Layout.
    I gues i will make a Mockup later for this ;-)

@pinlink: Sorry i searched for Step Editor and Step Mode and didn‘t find anything so i wrote a new conversation ;-)

Keep up the good work folks.
    Pretty impressed with BM3 so far.

Best Regards
    Sedat

• @El_Sed sorry for being overly rude to your suggestions. That was wrong of me. They aren’t bad feature requests at all in any way. I’ve got this weird care for wanting developers to be able to be creative when they make software. At first glance, it looked like you wanted a direct copy of functionality from the competitors. Quite frankly, both GarageBand and iMaschine have some nice features, but so does BM3. I’m equally using GarageBand and iMaschine here and there for the samples. I took it too far. Just wanted to let you know.

If you need help with the step sequencer in Beatmaker 3. Ask anyone they will be happy to help.

• @mefisme no problem. The step sequencer as it is now layed out in the pattern view is cool. I don‘t need no help on this side, thank you. I just don‘t want to leave the perform view and instead add a new way of producing/performing. I use Maschine for example in step mode and place a standard kick, snare, kick, snare setup. Then i drop a sample in on the first step and vibe with the melody. Later i put random hi-hats, percussions, glitches whatever to the pot and let the loop play until i find the groove which fits my needs. It‘s just playing around with sounds more easily and vibe to the sample.

• I guess i call it „VIBE“ Mode in my later Mockup. That‘s what it is for me. Vibing with the sounds/samples.

• Yeah I’m confused. So Sorry. :( I vibe all day with pre-recorded empty pads in a pattern then I just drop my samples in and build around the basic elements (kick, snare) as you do for a Beat, I guess your method would be as a per step basis from Maschine. I think I understand what your wanting to do. You need to build a step sequencing template for yourself. It will save you tons of time if your used to working this way.

• edited January 2018

@mefisme said:

You need to build a step sequencing template for yourself. It will save you tons of time if >your used to working this way.

I think i missed this feature in the step sequencer. How can i save a pattern as a template? That would be great too. And maybe export them out as MIDI Pattern. That would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Sedat

• @El_Sed said:

@mefisme said:

You need to build a step sequencing template for yourself. It will save you tons of time if >your used to working this way.

I think i missed this feature in the step sequencer. How can i save a pattern as a template? That would be great too. And maybe export them out as MIDI Pattern. That would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Sedat

Midi export is currently unavailable in BM3. But patterns can be saved on a per bank basis and can be empty without samples. They cannot be saved independently of a bank. That would be a great feature request itself. In other words, I'm the guy that has a scratch pad bank strictly for empty patterns because I make grooves/melodic ideas in my head when I'm in a rush and can't load everything. Very powerful. You can save banks with patterns and make sure load patterns is on when you load them. To build your own mimicking behavior of a 16 or 64 step sequencer like iMaschine would take some work. According to many users and as @5pinlink has said, Rozeta Sequencer Suite is probably your best option. I don't own it yet, so I'm not speaking for it.

• @mefisme said:

Midi export is currently unavailable in BM3. But patterns can be saved on a per bank >basis and can be empty without samples. They cannot be saved independently of a bank. >That would be a great feature request itself.

Yes. That would be very cool. Or to export the pattern as MIDI. So that you can use it in BM3 and other DAW‘s. But save them on a non bank basis would be very cool at first. I have to search if there is a feature request already ;-)