Duplicate selection - undo causes crash

Sorry if this has already been reported:
In song view, when I select a part of the song (using the select tool), hit duplicate, hit undo, the app crashes.
Have only tried and duplicated (no pun intended) the crash in one project so far.
Cheers

Comments

• edited January 2018

confirmed. I was able to duplicate one pattern and undo it without a crash, but the crashing seems to happen when duplicating multiple patterns. I've gotten it to crash when undoing duplicating two patterns on the same bank, but not crash when undoing duplicating one pattern in each of five banks. I think this is triggered when undoing duplicating multiple copies of at least one single pattern in a single bank.

• Thanks for the report -- if you have a session that can reproduce the issue every time, do send it over at mg@intua.net !

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• Done, cheers!

• Yeah same issue with me, although it's just duplicating multiple or single clips from song mode, nothing to do with undo.

• @KING said:

@beatmakerstorm said:
    @KING @mathieugarcia yep your right - not the most convenient but it is a work around - really needs sorting this screen freeze issue Problem now for me though is the select and move tools stop working then work then top working At this stage I have no coice but to leave BM3 for a bit a for now its a ampler with fx features Can't arrange a song - totally unusable

Glad you got it to work, somewhat.
    Yeah it’s ‘off n on’ with this issues. It was just ‘on’ = (buggy), for me a minute ago, and I played around so much, it crashed when I hit undo, after duplicating some Patterns. After crash and restart, works again (for now).

Not getting any issues with select and move, only create, I have to double tap.

I’m on the case, for a better solution.

King

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/26867#Comment_26867

King

• @KING Thanks. It’s not random, though, in this project. Maybe that ‘ll help in identifying this particular issue...

• edited January 2018

Regarding the bug from the original post in this thread, crashing on undo after pattern duplication, it 100% happens if you have two of the same pattern selected (and thus duplicated) and undo it. I created a new session, didn't even load anything into the bank, put down an empty pattern, repeated that pattern, selected both copies of the pattern, tapped duplicate, then tapped undo = crash.

• edited January 2018

I can get it to crash every time though.

Not gonna give up just yet..

King

^ From the same thread/page..

King

• I can replicate this bug many times in different ways as all of you have mentioned here. I don't have time to do a video, but if any of you can. Tag Mathieu. It's helpful.

• can anyone reproduce this crash and say for certain that you don't have two of the same pattern selected on at least one bank? @KING I can’t tell if you’re confirming this bug or if you’re saying there’s more to it, but I feel like it’s the former. @mefisme please elaborate on the different ways, if they don’t include duplicating multiple copies of the same pattern. @Geoffb if you’re getting crashes without undo then you might be dealing with a different bug. Can you elaborate on the specifics of your issue?

Here’s a quick video showing how simple this bug is to reproduce. First thing I do is the simplest recreation as I described a couple posts earlier, and then I show how duplicating weird combinations of patterns and undoing them doesn’t cause a crash until I include more than one copy of a single pattern.

• Im going to post a video in a bit replicating your bug. It doesn't have to be the same pattern. I'm going to take a wild guess and say UNDO isn't storing the second selection as an undo state. So when you hit undo. It's trying to undo two things at once. As a test, try this:

after you duplicate. Deselect the duplicate and then hit undo and see if it crashes.

• edited January 2018

@mathieugarcia @ronji @denx I wanted to rephrase this to prevent confusion. Repeating and duplicates are two separate entities. Repeat doesn’t create a new pattern. So the undo/redo state works. Duplicating two repeats, creates two new patterns. Undo isn’t undoing two pattern creations. Make sense?

Here’s the video in an entirely different project. Same steps, same crash, and why it’s happening:

• edited January 2018

(Posted before you added your video) I’m not sure I follow you. I don’t think repeating has anything to do with the bug. I just did the test you suggested: I duplicated a single pattern, deselected it, then tapped undo, and undo removed the duplicated (new) pattern. I did this several times in a row, duplicate single pattern, undo, repeatedly, no crash, whether or not I deselected the pattern. I then repeated the pattern, selected both patterns (both pattern 1), duplicated them, this created one new pattern twice (pattern 2, repeated just like pattern 1), I deselected them then tapped undo, and bm3 crashed. If this is hard to follow in text, it’s the same exact thing that happens in the first 15 seconds in the video I posted, except this time I added in a deselection, which had no effect. The last thing in the video is a crash after I dragged a pattern to the timeline (didn’t use repeat button), and then selected the two copies of it, duplicated, tapped undo, and crash.

• I couldn’t listen to the audio on your video, but I could see you did basically show that duplicating two copies of a single pattern and undoing that is causing the crash. If you did the same thing with only the patterns in one bank selected, the results would be the same.

• @ronji I’ll do one more video. A cleaner new session. It doesn’t matter about repeat. That wasn’t what I was saying, sorry if I wasn’t clear. It has to do with trying to undo bulk patterns. And the workaround is a timed fix. It involves deselecting and undoing rather quickly.
    Here’s the vid:
    a few moments later

• edited January 2018

@mefisme I just tried to do a quick deselect undo combo and it did seem to prevent a crash, which was baffling to me, but then I was unable to recreate that workaround to prevent a crash several times in a row. I can’t say that’s going to be a viable workraound. Also, did you watch the video I posted? I did multiple selections of several different patterns, unique in terms of pattern # per bank, and I was able to duplicate and undo and even duplicate twice and undo twice without crashing.

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme I just tried to do a quick deselect undo combo and it did seem to prevent a crash, which was baffling to me, but then I was unable to recreate that workaround to prevent a crash several times in a row. I can’t say that’s going to be a viable workraound. Also, did you watch the video I posted? I did multiple selections of several different patterns, unique in terms of pattern # per bank, and I was able to duplicate and undo and even duplicate twice and undo twice without crashing.

Yeah watched your entire video. Duplicate undo/redo all day works fine. It’s when using repeats and/or adding a pattern with drag and drop (creating a repeat the long way) and then duplicating both combined that creates the crash.

The workaround is finicky as well. I was wrong about deselecting/undoing quickly. You have to do it slow and just at the right time. Timing error of some kind.

• @ronji whatever the case now @mathieugarcia has plenty of vids to see and can find the memory purging / timing or whatever this is. He can fix it a jiffy. Lol!

• @mefisme said:
    @ronji whatever the case now @mathieugarcia has plenty of vids to see and can find the memory purging / timing or whatever this is. He can fix it a jiffy. Lol!

Solved it. And then I’m shutting up. Bug needs fixed badly. Helped get one fixed awhile back with some similarities. The workaround is a joke because guess what, It works only once in a fresh BM3 state. If you use it once, it won’t work again til you remove BM3 from memory and reload the app.

• edited January 2018

Haha yeah. I thought you were getting at something different, but now we've just confirmed the bug to death! =) A better workaround for now would be to avoid duplicating any pattern more than once at the same time, and instead to just repeat the first pattern as much as necessary, deselect, select and duplicate one copy of that pattern, then repeat the new pattern as much as necessary. I think people are gonna experience this bug mostly when duplicating without realizing some extra patterns were selected. The workaround then would be to move or remove the patterns you didn't mean to duplicate.

• @ronji said:
    Haha yeah. I thought you were getting at something different, but now we've just confirmed the bug to death! =)

Hats off and High five! In all seriousness...even though music is core. bug solving is core too. Most Users don't want to hunt bugs or have them at all, but with Intua being a very community-driven company. Every inch of help from it's users does have an effect on what makes/breaks the software. I'm glad we could knock it dead so quickly. Back to my Xmas beatbattle work!

• edited January 2018

@ronji said:
    The workaround then would be to move or remove the patterns you didn't mean to duplicate.

Yes, just hit remove instead of undo :smile:

• The crash is being investigated.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• still a bug in 3.0.9 (seems obvious, but just fyi)

• Correct, the fix will be included in the next update!

• edited January 2018

i too can confirm this bug. 2 undo's after dupicating a pattern twice - lets see if this undo "feature" is in other parts of the app too like in "sample edit"