Looping in song mode: First note missing

When looping in song mode, BM3 seems to skip the first note if the loop doesn’t start at 1.

(e.g. I have a 4 bar loop going, starting at bar 1. Everything is fine. Then I duplicate those bars and set a new loop from bars 5 to 9. When playing, BM is dropping the first note(s) of the new loop.)

This is happening with every version of BM3.

iPad Air 2, iOS 11.2.2, BM 3.0.9.

Comments

• I hit this bug often :(

• edited January 2018

This bug affects me all the time!!

I like composing by looping sections, and this was getting a bit annoying so (as a workaround) I now grab any notes that hit where the left loop marker currently sits then nudge them forward a few ticks. To do this (1) set the grid/snap to free mode (2) zoom in to maximum, (3) drag the note/s forward by the smallest amount possible. If you do it precisely it shouldn't affect timing noticeably.

Sorry for not reporting this sooner - TBH I was just being too lazy to work out exactly what caused it!

• Its already listed as a bug, too lazy to fibd it, think it was from @king

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Its already listed as a bug, too lazy to fibd it, think it was from @king

Yeah, ‘twas me.

Funny thing I was going to add to that thread, because it’s worse now. Long loops that were playing fine, (pre-3.0.9) would start and play fine (when in loop mode). Now some are playing just the initial hit, then no sound.

If I stop n start it wil play all the way, but once it loops.. well. Sample is in hold mode. To be honest guys, I won’t be reporting as much as I used to. I may just throw them all in onethread, and that’s it. But I’ll do what I can.

@mathieugarcia

• edited January 2018

The comment above is mucking about to type etc..

King

• edited January 2018

Just wanted to add that this bug isn't just with samples and loops... It affects midi notes triggering AUv3 plugins too.

If I create a loop anywhere after bar 1, any notes that are supposed to trigger when the loop restarts just don't trigger. As explained, if I nudge the notes a few ticks forward from the start, it all plays fine (albeit 1-2ms out of sync)

The alternative workaround is to start the looping section 1 bar early, then finish 1 bar early too

• I think this is an event timing issue that is also related to another thread from a while back by @Heyez about skewy timing, I will make sure to bump this issue with @mathieugarcia
    But im gonna give it a few days, last time i brought up timing, him and @brambos went on an OCD hunt for MIDI AU timing issues hahaha

Trust me, Intua want the timing and triggering of events tighter than a ducks junk ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Trust me, Intua want the timing and triggering of events tighter than a ducks junk ;)

Well, that would be great. Eventually. I don’t know if it’s BM‘s fault or iOS‘, but the timing has always been shaky.

• If the timing is shaky internally, then it is BMs fault, if the timing of hardware via MIDI is shaky it opens the door to external influence like OS.

But before i jump all over @mathieugarcia with timing issues, i need quantifiable repeatable results (ahem @ronji haha)

• edited January 2018

I‘ve been an user since BM1 and I’ve always had timing issues, internally as well as externally. Sometimes they were/are mostly imperceptible, sometimes, especially with a little bit cpu load, they make working with BM a challenge. I’ve always assumed this is a well known problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• edited January 2018

How exactly are you testing these timing issues and what are they exactly ?
    (Like i say, i need something i can reproduce to give to @mathieugarcia )

• @5pinlink hahahaha! I do what I can =)

• Just post a video showing the loop jump missing the beginning note of whichever patterns so we have something to go off of.

• @5pinlink said:
    How exactly are you testing these timing issues and what are they exactly ?

It has been a while since I‘ve really tested it, definitely with BM2. I just recorded into Cubase and looked at the grid — many notes were (ever so slightly) off. A couple of weeks ago I tried to feed 16th notes to a fairly complex Moog Model 15 patch in BM3 and it was, quite frankly, laughable. I didn’t even bother to check and decided to wait for some future update, a new iPad Pro, for a stable, unified plugin API or whatever.

• Strange, i seem to be getting good timing to AU synths ?

• edited January 2018

I find the timing generally spot on...

Except when applying global swing via the tempo control, which in my experience is janky and unusable compared to other DAWs

It's so bad I always choose to add swing manually per pattern.

• @5pinlink said:
    Strange, i seem to be getting good timing to AU synths ?

My experience has been that it’s unusable as soon as there is cpu load. I’m not talking about overload and crackling, but adding more than one AU plugin or so.

Anyway, this thread/bug report is about missing notes. I can work around the timing problems but not really around the looping issue.

• edited January 2018

Don’t forget that where the loops (playing from a bank, is concerned) it only happens when it is set to ‘HOLD’. I can’t stress that point enough.

Trying to reproduce without it being set that way, will play without issue.

Cheers,

King

• @KING said:
    Don’t forget that where the loops (playing from a bank, is concerned) it only happens when it is set to ‘HOLD’. I can’t stress that point enough.

Yes hold mode seems to be when the problem arises. Thank you for this.

• I am also experiencing this problem very often - when sample is on hold trigger mode, the first note played after loop start is played for very short time (1ms?) and then immediately muted. This does not happen when the loop is played the first time or if the looping starts at 0 point on the time line.
    I have created an example session if anyone is intersted. But I would really like to know if there is some official way to report bugs to Intua? I would rather try that instead of this forum as no one will probably care.

• The "not playing the first note in an AU MIDI sequence" seems to be back. I'm fairly certain it was fixed in 3.0.9 but right now whatever Rozeta plugin I try it seems to skip any note on the first beat again (e.g. using X0X or Bassline). Can anyone confirm this on a bog-standard non-development device (tricky things sometimes happen when running beta plugins inside a beta DAW :D )?

• @brambos I did a quick test, one loop using Bassline, sample on hold, and I had no issues. However, a project with one sample and one plugin might not be representative...

• @denx said:
    @brambos I did a quick test, one loop using Bassline, sample on hold, and I had no issues. However, a project with one sample and one plugin might not be representative...

Thanks... so when you hit "play", you could actually hear the first note on the first beat playing (what were you sending the Bassline MIDI into)?

• @brambos I tried again, and the first note is missing when I hit play. Its there when it loops back again, though, which is what I was looking for. Sorry for the confusion!

• edited January 2018

This has never been fixed unfortunately, @mathieugarcia fixed the first note not being recorded during recording, but the very first note during playback is always missing.

Hopefully he sees this thread ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    This has never been fixed unfortunately, @mathieugarcia fixed the first note not being recorded during recording, but the very first note during playback is always missing.

Hopefully he sees this thread ;)

I seem to recall he fixed it in the 3.0.9 beta, but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly and we only established what caused the issue? :#

• edited January 2018

Nope never been a fix for that, and unfortunately checking again now, recorded MIDI from Rozeta is unreliable.

Simple example
    Create a bank
    Load bassline, turn on first note first step.
    Send its output to a synth preset.
    Create a new bank
    Load bassline, turn on first note first step.
    Send its output to a second instance of synth preset.
    Record its output to a pattern.

Compare the two, recorded version has longer note duration.

AU MIDI needs a bit of tweaking again.

• edited January 2018

When Ableton Link is turned on and connected to another app. In auto play scenarios, the first note in Rozeta is triggered with no other output when first pressing the play head in BM3. Then the bar quantize settings for patterns begins. This might be what @denx is talking about. Im trying to figure this out myself so I can get this working for me effectively.

• It has nothing to do with link, Rozeta first notes dont play, turn on record, first note plays and records, it is just a bug with MIDI AU playback while not in record.