best working midi keyboard controller for BM2

I'm looking to buy a midi keyboard controller for BM2 to use with a keyboard sampler. Specifically I'm looking at Korg Taktile. Has anybody tested it that it's working correctly? What I need to connect it to my iPad Mini 2?

Comments

• I'm also looking at MPK mini mkII, but it seems you need to connect it via unpowered/powered usb hub to work. Anyone using it? How it compares to Korg Taktile?
  • edited January 2015
    I couldn't tell you about Korg's keyboard as I have never used it and I hated the drum pads on the mpk mini mk1. However I did a little googling and found out Akai added a note repeat and full level mode to the mk2 so that may help with that, but the requirement of a usb hub will definitely affect it's portability portability.

Personally though I use the irig keys which is portable and get's the job done. It also comes with a unique cable that plugs right into the device so no need for a lightening connect or camera connection kit purchase as long as you get the one that works with your device. I also like it's keys over the akai mpk mini keys though it lacks the pads.
  • edited January 2015
    I actually bought Novation LaunchKey Mini. I really liked it when I visited the store, plus it has 16 pads (very nice, like in LaunchPad) and works natively with iOS.

Korg Taktile is really nice though (the keys are semi-weighted and they have a very professional feel to them), but the keyboard is a little too big for my current setup.
  • I have an axiom air 25, an axiom pro 49, and nektar panorama p4...ordered in order of usefulness and performance...nektar is amazing
  • @zork said:
    I actually bought Novation LaunchKey Mini. I really liked it when I visited the store, plus it has 16 pads (very nice, like in LaunchPad) and works natively with iOS.

Would you recommend the Launchkey Mini MK2 as a Controller for BM3?

• edited January 2018

@zork said:
    I'm also looking at MPK mini mkII, but it seems you need to connect it via unpowered/powered usb hub to work. Anyone using it? How it compares to Korg Taktile?

I use the Akai MPK mini mkII with BM3. It’s great aiMO. If you have the usb to camera adapter, the one that charges iPad you won’t need an additonal hub. Works fine. I’ve had some trouble with getting the clock to sync with BM3 for the note repeat, arpeggiator. You have to set it to external in the akai mapping software and then use another app to clock send. But other than that. Not too bad of a controller at all. Naturally the key bed is only 25 and feels like every controller this size. The pads are highly responsive. The bank light button is nice in tandem with a green/red color scheme in BM3. The pitch/mod thumbs tick is fun. Works in BM2 and 3.

• Xkey air here, no wires, works brilliantly

• @5pinlink I need to try wireless.

• edited January 2018

Bluetooth.....
    Its crap for audio, superb for MIDI :)

• O.k. So i already got the XKey (nor Air) Version. But I rarely use it. I think the playing on the Slim keys didn‘t catch me like I wanted ;-)

Launchkey Mini has 16 Pads which is nice and it has multicolored Pads. But I don‘t know if BM3 is able to push the color from the BM3 Pads to the Launchkey. On the other hand there are the 8Pads on the Akai which looks nice to play too. Launchkey Mini or Akai? Which of them fit better for the BM3 workflow.

• @El_Sed said:

O.k. So i already got the XKey (nor Air) Version. But I rarely use it. I think the playing on the Slim keys didn‘t catch me like I wanted ;-)

Launchkey Mini has 16 Pads which is nice and it has multicolored Pads. But I don‘t know if BM3 is able to push the color from the BM3 Pads to the Launchkey. On the other hand there are the 8Pads on the Akai which looks nice to play too. Launchkey Mini or Akai? Which of them fit better for the BM3 workflow.

Akai mpk mini mk2 has 8 physical hardware pads but 2 banks for midi notes plus 2 banks with single CCs. So I'm able to trigger 32 pads between the two and thats only under one program. Using all 4 programs on the mpk mini I can trigger 128 different pads. Or similarly 32 or 128 pads across 4 different instruments and 4 different instruments across the keybed. Don't know if this helps you much. Pads are Velocity sensitive on the Akai. Feels like traditional mpcstuff.

I don't own LaunchPad but I know it's very much advertised as a clip launcher more than anything.

• @mefisme said:

Akai mpk mini mk2 has 8 physical hardware pads but 2 banks for midi notes plus 2 banks with single CCs. So I'm able to trigger 32 pads between the two and thats only under one program. Using all 4 programs on the mpk mini I can trigger 128 different pads. Or similarly 32 or 128 pads across 4 different instruments and 4 different instruments across the keybed. Don't know if this helps you much. Pads are Velocity sensitive on the Akai. Feels like traditional mpcstuff.

I don't own LaunchPad but I know it's very much advertised as a clip launcher more than anything.

Thank you for the input. I ordered both and try to test for myself which one fits my needs better. The joystick of the Akai seems to be pretty of fun. ;-)

• edited January 2018

I've got the Korg NanoKey Studio.

Nice little all-in-one bluetooth controller with 8 pads, 8 rotaries and an X/Y touch pad. As @5pinlink says, bluetooth is ideal for sending midi.

Shame the piano keys are more like buttons (and a bit noisy) but at least it's small and compact

P.s. Just like the Akai mentioned previously You can change 'scenes' so that the 8 pads can be moved from #1-8 to #9-16 etc...

• Korg microkey has easily the best keys out of the budget mini keyboards, and it comes in wireless version and with 25 to 88 keys. While its bit plasticky(like any product like this in the price range), it doesent feel low quality(like the akais) and just makes it lightweight, which is a nice bonus.

• I'm digging this right now... Price is good. Functionality also great. Alexis Vi25... No faders like the Korg, but worth a look. I like that it has good old fashioned midi out port in addition to usb.

• uh-oh!

That Alesis has got me drooling! that's a lot of buttons!

• @DeanDaughters said:
    uh-oh!

That Alesis has got me drooling! that's a lot of buttons!

Right!? Looks nice. I think I might buy one of their performance pads for drummers. Not a keyboard controller but Seems like alot of fun with BM3.
    https://media.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/SamplePadPro-large.jpg?v=0a5b55536e268682

• Agreed - MIDI drum pads are totally kick ass with BM3! <3

• @DeanDaughters at least you have an SPD! Lol. Always wanted a perf pad.

• @mefisme -- Get one - you won't regret it if you have even halfway decent rhythm :) :)

I think they really shine in playing BM3 melodically. Scale mode can come in really handy. Awwwww yeah!!

;)

• @DeanDaughters hahaha... yeah... I haven’t found time yet to make use of all those switches!

• We need round or random robin for good ekit support :)

• @tk32 said:
    I've got the Korg NanoKey Studio.

Nice little all-in-one bluetooth controller with 8 pads, 8 rotaries and an X/Y touch pad. As @5pinlink says, bluetooth is ideal for sending midi.

Shame the piano keys are more like buttons (and a bit noisy) but at least it's small and compact

P.s. Just like the Akai mentioned previously You can change 'scenes' so that the 8 pads can be moved from #1-8 to #9-16 etc...

+1

• Thank you all for your input. I tested the KORG and AKAI Controllers you advised and the Novation Launchkey Mini MK2. The best fit for me was the Launchkey but the other controllers was also well for BM3.

If someone is interested in the CME XKey 25 (with USB, not the AIR Version!) i am selling it right now on eBay. Link here:

https://ebay.de/itm/202189565999?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

This forum rocks!

Best regards,
    Sedat