Difference between a Bank track and an Audio track

Basic stoopid question for a bonus of 1. Can someone explain the difference to me between a Bank track and an Audio track please? I think I get it but just want to be sure. Bank track gives access to all of the pads in the bank and all of the sampler modulation options and layers etc. So when would you use an Audio track?

Ta

Comments

• Recording an inline track, a vocal, a guitar etc

• @5pinlink said:
    Recording an inline track, a vocal, a guitar etc

Why wouldn’t you record to a pad though? You have so many more options. Is it just a quicker way to lay audio onto a track and that’s it?

• Because a pad is triggered, an audio track is inline.
    If you record a 1 minute vocal to a pad and then start playing the song from 30 seconds it wont play unless you slice it, an audio track is linear, no matter where you play from it plays in time.

It is commonly known as hard disk recording.
    Basically you will know if you need it.

Also there is a second use case where you edit audio sequences using audio tracks, but im not going in to that rabbit hole because BM3 is not easy to do that right now.

• Nice one. Just playing around with a vocoder vocal lol.

• edited January 2018

After trying both I just use Banks and slice to pads with ‘Create Pattern’ on. While I traditionaly like the idea of audio tracks I found when I tried it they really bogged down navigation of my scene.

If this gets adressed at some point, along with some sort of standard five point editing, with timstretching etc, that would be a treat.

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

@Audiogus said:
    After trying both I just use Banks and slice to pads with ‘Create Pattern’ on. While I traditionaly like the idea of audio tracks I found when I tried it they really bogged down navigation of my scene.

If this gets adressed at some point, along with some sort of standard five point editing, with timstretching etc, that would be a treat.

Yes we put in that request at the getgo. This isn’t a proper daw without proper audio track timeline edit features by any means. Even simple ones like trim, copy b paste between tracks etc

What do you mean by ‘bog down your navigation of scenes’ ?

Just having two audio tracks present of about four minutes in length made zooming and panning very clunky and I seemed to get what felt like high CPU spikes. Maybe it has improved since 3.09 and I should give it another try.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah I’m working on a tune right now and would love to be able to render to audio and then edit said audio more easily in audio tracks (like long iSymphonic sections) but it’s basic audio editing is not there yet. I’m determined to finish this song in BM3 anyway so I can say “I did this in BM3” so I’m getting as creative as possible. Chopping onto pads has been one work around, but agree...very suboptimal workflow.

Also, I’m on a 2017 12” IPad Pro and am seeing the screen refresh and zooming slowness described. I have a couple of long audio tracks with imports of some Borderlands noodling.

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2018

I posted this one a while ago. For me it would really help with editing longer audio sequences on a bank with slices...

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/5712/create-pattern-from-slices-with-spaces#latest

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2018

@triton100 said:

@Audiogus said:

@triton100 said:

@Audiogus said:

Yes we put in that request at the getgo. This isn’t a proper daw without proper audio track timeline edit features by any means. Even simple ones like trim, copy b paste between tracks etc

What do you mean by ‘bog down your navigation of scenes’ ?

Just having two audio tracks present of about four minutes in length made zooming and panning very clunky and I seemed to get what felt like high CPU spikes. Maybe it has improved since 3.09 and I should give it another try.

Hmm I don’t think I’ve experienced that. IPad Pro 10 here and latest os and bm3.

Funnily enough I have adopted your method of cutting audio up and placing into bank pads in the meanwhile. Not ideal for me personally and playback is affected as 5pin mentioned before. Kinda weird way around of doing vocals. But the upside is you get the use of all the effects in the sample editor so you can be a bit more creative. Pros and cons

huh, I am doing a little mastering with 20 audio tracks each one with EQ and Maxima... all is well, no performance issues. maybe it had to with what was on the other pads/banks at the time interfering with the audio tracks I had or if whatever it was is no longer an issue.