AUM... Who's on it?

Reading about the ability to point multiple rozetta at one au instrument instance has got me curious to maybe try this instead of BM3 for a while. Also dig the way you can have rozetta ui and the instrument ui onscreen simultaneously in Windows. Or effect au ui + instrument AU ui in Windows simultaneously...

How are people finding it? Significant enough improvement in these areas to make you use it instead of BM3 for this type of stuff?

Comments

• I use AUM when using MPC + hardware synths instead of BM3. I dont really see it replacing bm3, but if you want a digital mixer with FXs for hardware or simple host for AU instruments sequenced elsewhere, AUM is very nice. I find that if you try to use AUM as something more than a mixer/au host, its not good(too much hassle to use, crappy recording options, etc etc), but as a mixer its a dream come true.

• Yeh it's the midi routing and slightly modular/windows thing that appeals to me. Not sure how I'd find it in reality tho. Would probably miss all the convenience/editing etc of housing everything inside a daw :/ have a feeling I might find it way better for modular style improv recordings though. Wish there was like a 7 day trial demo, it's quite expensive/money that could have gone elsewhere if turns out i didn't gel with it.. Guess could ask for apple refund. Might check it out...

• @Heyez said:
    Yeh it's the midi routing and slightly modular/windows thing that appeals to me. Not sure how I'd find it in reality tho. Would probably miss all the convenience/editing etc of housing everything inside a daw :/ have a feeling I might find it way better for modular style improv recordings though. Wish there was like a 7 day trial demo, it's quite expensive/money that could have gone elsewhere if turns out i didn't gel with it.. Guess could ask for apple refund. Might check it out...

Well, lets just say that you wouldnt try to use a lawnmower as a car, so why would you try to use a mixer as a daw?

• @Tomes said:

@Heyez said:
    Yeh it's the midi routing and slightly modular/windows thing that appeals to me. Not sure how I'd find it in reality tho. Would probably miss all the convenience/editing etc of housing everything inside a daw :/ have a feeling I might find it way better for modular style improv recordings though. Wish there was like a 7 day trial demo, it's quite expensive/money that could have gone elsewhere if turns out i didn't gel with it.. Guess could ask for apple refund. Might check it out...

Well, lets just say that you wouldnt try to use a lawnmower as a car, so why would you try to use a mixer as a daw?

Yeah I know what you're saying.. But what about when the lawnmower drives better/quicker than the car? I'd be tempted to jump on and go for a burn around the block ;)

• edited January 2018

For me it's as simple as this...

AUM for live/performance rig setup
    BM3 for studio/production work

I never use them together

• AUM is really dope for what it is. The interface is all vector, the routing options are awesome, and you can host BM3 inside it. I bought it a while back and barely use it, but I'm still glad I bought it.

• @tk32 said:
    For me it's as simple as this...

AUM for live/performance rig setup
    BM3 for studio/production work

I never use them together

AUM for live performance? I still haven’t bought this. Lol. Only Kymatica’s AudioShare and Sector.

• I use AUM for messing around with audio apps and fx chains, recording/monitoring external stuff plugged into my interface and midi routing. I'll use BM3 or Auria to sequence or put together a track. Mostly i'm just messing around, noodling on guitar or making synth patches so end up using AUM a lot, its a good tool and I really like it.

• Can AUM be loaded as a plugin in BM3?

• @mefisme said:
    Can AUM be loaded as a plugin in BM3?

Yes. Put IAA as the channel output in AUM and then find the AUM IAA port as input plugin to BM3.

• @GusGranite said:

@mefisme said:

Yes. Put IAA as the channel output in AUM and then find the AUM IAA port as input plugin to BM3.

And just use that pad to access AUMs functions? Does AUM need to be loaded first before being loaded as IAA?

• Now you can route audio in BM3 (as of 3.0.9) I'm not sure what advantage there would be to having AUM in BM3

• @dizzy said:
    Now you can route audio in BM3 (as of 3.0.9) I'm not sure what advantage there would be to having AUM in BM3

Midi routing + multiple audio tracks > one track + 2 x simultaneous AU ui windows are the main attractions for me. Going to buy and check it out, hopefully can refund it if not gelling with it..

• @mefisme said:

@GusGranite said:

@mefisme said:

And just use that pad to access AUMs functions? Does AUM need to be loaded first before being loaded as IAA?

AUM does not need to be loaded first. But it is the same end result whichever way you do it. In BM3 you go to Pad, IAA plug-in, down to K for Kymatica and load AUM port 1. Then tap the AUM icon to open it as usual but change the channel output in AUM auto IAA Output 1 to bring it back into BM3.

I love AUM. I am creating my loop stems there before bringing them into BM3 at the moment. I set it to 24bit and Measurement mode. I find it so easy to chain up MIDI, synths, drums and FX, etc. The works. Then I do my arranging and track FX in BM3.

You can do it all in BM3 as well. It just makes more visual sense to me in AUM I think.

• edited January 2018

@GusGranite I appreciate the info. If it doesnt have anything that would benefit me while in BM3 I probably won't get just because I use BM3 mixer. Can I midi nap anything in AUM?