Crackle mania...

edited January 2018 in Support

Anyone know if it's just an iPad/ios state of affairs where stuff like automation and macros is so prone to audio glitching?

Just set up new project. One instance of zeeon. One instance of rozetta arpeggio.

2 bar loop.

10 zeeon params assigned to one macro (reminded me that I wish macro pop up window would give details for each param assigned to it! Not just 'param 1' 'param 2' and so on.....). That macro automated through the 2 bar loop.

Rozetta arp sequencing zeeon notes.

Audio is soooo glitchy :/ no way could ever use it unless could offline freeze the track.

2017 iPad.

Is this kind of stuff just a pipedream to have it run without audio problems for ios capabilities currently/next couple of years?

The cpu meter is all over the place. Mostly around 17% (but still often glitchy while reading that) but flashing up to red now and again. That cpu monitoring seems really weird compared to what I'd expect to see if I did the same task on computer (wouldn't expect to hit the red by doing so little unless on very old machine) or was hearing the same glitches (would expect it to be constantly red when glitching).

No other stuff running in background. No WiFi etc etc.

Slowly losing hope :/

Comments

• Anyone able to clarify? Just starting to feel like BM3 is maybe a couple years early in its vision and maybe ios/iPad hardware just isn't able to deliver the things that BM3 is selling. Hoping it can be worked out but if it's physically impossible for macros, midi AU, to run smoothly, I feel like maybe I'm willingly smashing my head against a wall by pursuing ios for this kind of thing on ios/ipad and should limit what I think of as 'possible'.

• Here's a shitty audio quality phone vid to illustrate. Cpu readout not really telling me why/when glitches. Glitches worse when i switch screens. Not easily audible on phone mic but in person it's clearly glitching almost constantly. Can prob spot/hear it clearest on vid when I'm switching screens.

This is only one AU (zeeon). One rozetta (arpeggio). 10 zeeon params being automated via one macro. No bm3/au fx.

Seems like a very minimal setup/scenario and something that should 'just work' in terms of smooth audio? But frustratingly it's unusable :(

• I'm going to assume it's an issue with AU params, or AU params controlling Zeeon, or how Zeeon handles being controlled by AU params. I don't think rozeta is affecting the issue. This is based on my one experience with Zeeon crackling when I turned a single AU param, but no crackling when turning the knob inside Zeeon's actual interface. Can you describe the params you're controlling? Also, since you're the most familiar with your own setup, could you try recreating this with a different AUi? Is it Zeeon or is it all AUis?

• @ronji said:
    I'm going to assume it's an issue with AU params, or AU params controlling Zeeon, or how Zeeon handles being controlled by AU params. I don't think rozeta is affecting the issue. This is based on my one experience with Zeeon crackling when I turned a single AU param, but no crackling when turning the knob inside Zeeon's actual interface. Can you describe the params you're controlling? Also, since you're the most familiar with your own setup, could you try recreating this with a different AUi? Is it Zeeon or is it all AUis?

Thanks for sharing thoughts on it :) I'll try to check similar workload on another AU later tonight.

• First thing to check when CPU spikes is sample rate and buffer size. If its not about incorrect setting try these; turn off WIFI, turn off SIRI completely in settings(check each app separately) and turn Off Auto Updates. If that doesent help either, try these: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21984/ios11-battery-and-other-survival-tips/p1 . Even tho its about battery, some of those things might cause unstable CPU performance.

• @Tomes said:
    First thing to check when CPU spikes is sample rate and buffer size. If its not about incorrect setting try these; turn off WIFI, turn off SIRI completely in settings(check each app separately) and turn Off Auto Updates. If that doesent help either, try these: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21984/ios11-battery-and-other-survival-tips/p1 . Even tho its about battery, some of those things might cause unstable CPU performance.

Thanks for tips :) I actually had somehow totally neglected to try increasing buffer! Sadly it didn't help even at highest. I already had the other ios tweaks mentioned in place. Will check that link for other possible solutions as well (thanks!) but have a feeling it's not down to some setting/s I can alter to fix...

If this kind of stuff is going to be quite a complicated/longterm problem before it gets ironed out then it might be a good idea to get 'freeze track' in place ASAP as a semi-workaround ;)

• Mine does it to with au. Buffer on lowest setting. And i get a pause for a couple seconds while the song loads and when I press play for the first time.

• Sometimes apps end up cracking, I don't know what it is. Everything will be fine then 10-30 mins in a session it will happen, I have noticed sometimes if I hit stop/play again and again it will clear up, which saves having to restart everything.

It happens with every app I use, so I think it is an iOS thing. No idea what causes it and hard to reproduce so just have to hope it fixes itself. I read something it might be running sessions at 44.1khz when the lighting connector is "native" at 48khz, but i havent been able to find a way to consistently run at 48 without a bunch of crap errors.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tried everything in this thread and still an unusable crackle fest :( Will test with a different AU later today...

• @Heyez said:
    Tried everything in this thread and still an unusable crackle fest :( Will test with a different AU later today...

Which plugin? Have you thought about doing a copy of the session using collect all and save as (banks, samples) and try loading the copy. If it does it in the copy, you could zip it up and post and someone might be able to take a look at it or email it to support?

• @mefisme said:

@Heyez said:
    Tried everything in this thread and still an unusable crackle fest :( Will test with a different AU later today...

Which plugin? Have you thought about doing a copy of the session using collect all and save as (banks, samples) and try loading the copy. If it does it in the copy, you could zip it up and post and someone might be able to take a look at it or email it to support?

Got sidetracked from this after figuring how quick the Samples From Mars sample mapping was ;) Will look at this session again tonight and try all suggestions, thanks. The plugin was Zeeon.

• This issue has also been reported with iSEM using AU knobs, so it must not be the macros, but how the AU knobs are interacting with the AUs.