Essential plugins for BM3?

What are some recommended/essential plugins for making beats with BM3? For now I only have Nave synthesizer but want to expand my collection. If there isnt any yet it maybe could be a sticky for essential plugins.

Comments

• @MisterSinan essential instrument plugins? Or effects plugins? Or midi controller plugins? Or other? There's so many. :)

• @mefisme said:
    @MisterSinan essential instrument plugins? Or effects plugins? Or midi controller plugins? Or other? There's so many. :)

We could start with instrument and effects for example.

• edited January 2018

@mefisme said:
    @MisterSinan essential instrument plugins? Or effects plugins? Or midi controller plugins? Or other? There's so many. :)

And now you brought it up. Maybe you could tell what kind of plugins there are and what their use is for example. Beginners like myself need these kind of knowledge.

• @MisterSinan said:
    We could start with instrument and effects for example.

Not that easy unfortunately. It's really a matter of one's personal goals and interests. There are so many different ways to synthesize compress EQ dirtify, sequence, reverberate, etc.

If you check the compatibility category in the forums here. You'll find a listing of instruments and effects and community comments.

I would start by searching 'auv3' in app store, and trying everything free first. Lots of good stuff. Then also go to developer websites of the paid ones and watch videos of what they do so you can decide on the paid apps.

• Me, personally it's all about the sound produced because I do so much Resampling.

• Cant go wrong with zeeon synth, eos2 reverb, grind distortion/filter, dubstation 2 delay, FAC chorus, for eq there are lots of good options, i got zmors and dont really feel the need to get more EQs. Ofc there are more to get, but those cover all the basics and maybe after getting to use them, you see what you are missing or would like to add. Oh and get Svep, its free. Not really my favourite, but as a free plugin, its a good way to get started.

• edited January 2018

@Tomes thanks for recommending. I didn't want to because each serves so much purpose. Zmors EQ is great.

@MisterSinan Free Compressor from Audio Damage (rough rider) too. Noise reduction tool Brusfri by Klevgrand. Awesome! Virtual room AU is what I use for stereo field shaping. And sequencing BM3 Rozeta hands down IMO.

• @Tomes said:
    Cant go wrong with zeeon synth, eos2 reverb, grind distortion/filter, dubstation 2 delay, FAC chorus, for eq there are lots of good options, i got zmors and dont really feel the need to get more EQs. Ofc there are more to get, but those cover all the basics and maybe after getting to use them, you see what you are missing or would like to add. Oh and get Svep, its free. Not really my favourite, but as a free plugin, its a good way to get started.

Thanks!

@mefisme said:
    I would start by searching 'auv3' in app store, and trying everything free first. Lots of good stuff. Then also go to developer websites of the paid ones and watch videos of what they do so you can decide on the paid apps

Thanks for the idea!

• edited January 2018

@mefisme said:
    @Tomes thanks for recommending. I didn't want to because each serves so much purpose. Zmors EQ is great.

@MisterSinan Free Compressor from Audio Damage (rough rider) too. Noise reduction tool Brusfri by Klevgrand. Awesome! Virtual room AU is what I use for stereo field shaping. And sequencing BM3 Rozeta hands down IMO.

Rozeta is fantastic. I am currently pinching off all my old pre-Rozeta tunes and then starting fresh in the new world.

Virtual Room looks great! How is the CPU usage with it?

What is Free Compressor? It does not seem to show up for me.

• @Audiogus virtualRoom AU is secret sauce. I use it for all sorts of stuff. Volume, stereo widening, immersion headphone experiences, panning, audio for movies. Placing samples in a mix. You name it. All paramaters are automatable. Custom room environments. No patches capability unfortunately it's still new small company. If using an already stereo sample you'll get interesting effects, totally different for a mono sample. As with any production you want to set your buffer sample rate to the highest 1024. Just added 8 instances on banks as a test in my template on the forums. Pressed play head, CPU is stable 18-26 percent with 8 instances. Haven't tried paramaters simultaneously under this scenario.

• @mefisme said:
    @Audiogus virtualRoom AU is secret sauce. I use it for all sorts of stuff. Volume, stereo widening, immersion headphone experiences, panning, audio for movies. Placing samples in a mix. You name it. All paramaters are automatable. Custom room environments. No patches capability unfortunately it's still new small company. If using an already stereo sample you'll get interesting effects, totally different for a mono sample. As with any production you want to set your buffer sample rate to the highest 1024. Just added 8 instances on banks as a test in my template on the forums. Pressed play head, CPU is stable 18-26 percent with 8 instances. Haven't tried paramaters simultaneously under this scenario.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed breakdown, sounds great!

• @Audiogus said:

Virtual room is great, but it is CPU hungry. Rough rider is the name of the free compressor

• edited January 2018

@Audiogus sometimes the gain controls per speaker when cranked up act almost like a Saturator. And it's also a reverb tool. Lol.

• edited January 2018

@Audiogus but I'm also running this in a premade template, not a new session so CPU usage is probably 10-12 percent less for 8 instances.

• edited January 2018

@Tomes said:

@Audiogus said:

Virtual room is great, but it is CPU hungry. Rough rider is the name of the free compressor

How is it CPU hungry? In a new session one instance takes less than 1 percent at idle with an iPad Pro 9.7 and buffer set to 1024?

• edited January 2018

I've bought tons of plugins, and these are my top 10 favourites (note: all are AUv3)...

Synths:

• Poison 202
    • iSEM
    • Zeeon
    • Troublemaker

Synth drums:

• Ruismaker
    • Ruismaker FM

Effects:

• FAC Chorus
    • Rough Rider (free)
    • EOS2 Reverb

Midi:

• Rozeta
  • @mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@Audiogus said:

How is it CPU hungry? In a new session one instance takes less than 1 percent at idle with an iPad Pro 9.7 and buffer set to 1024?

1024 buffer size is crazy high.. With the settings i use, eos2 might add like 1-2%, virtual room can add over 10%.

• @Tomes said:

@mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@Audiogus said:

1024 buffer size is crazy high.. With the settings i use, eos2 might add like 1-2%, virtual room can add over 10%.

1024 buffer size is ideal for production. 64 is ideal for performance. Buffer is latency of input/output. So if your performing pads you don't use VirtualRoom AU with lower buffer sizes. It is a stereo field effect and room environment simulator. You don't need that for performance. Which is why BM3 has bypass of effects and many plugins have a bypass option as well. Like VirtualRoom AU.

• edited January 2018

@mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@Audiogus said:

1024 buffer size is ideal for production. 64 is ideal for performance. Buffer is latency of input/output. So if your performing pads you don't use VirtualRoom AU with lower buffer sizes. It is a stereo field effect and room environment simulator. You don't need that for performance. Which is why BM3 has bypass of effects and many plugins have a bypass option as well. Like VirtualRoom AU.

I like to do the sound design while composing and part of the sound design is FXs. And yes i know how to use buffer size and when to raise it, ideal is low as possible without crackles. Only once have i had to raise buffer to 1024 and that was on mac. Also i use these FXs often with hardware synths, that means i need to use low buffer sizes all the time or my synths will get out of sync.

Anyways virtual room uses A LOT more CPU than some other reverbs, DDMF envelope is another CPU hungry reverb, EOS2 is quite CPU efficient on the other hand.

• @Tomes said:

@mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@mefisme said:

@Tomes said:

@Audiogus said:

I like to do the sound design while composing and part of the sound design is FXs. And yes i know how to use buffer size and when to raise it, ideal is low as possible without crackles. Only once have i had to raise buffer to 1024 and that was on mac. Also i use these FXs often with hardware synths, that means i need to use low buffer sizes all the time or my synths will get out of sync.

Anyways virtual room uses A LOT more CPU than some other reverbs, DDMF envelope is another CPU hungry reverb, EOS2 is quite CPU efficient on the other hand.

I wasn’t implying you didn’t know at all. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just stating VirtualRoom AU isn’t really a composition tool. It’s best used as a post-creation tool while mixing. Sent to an aux bus and soloed often. Where buffer size is higher as the project grows. I think VirtualRoom is probably doing too many things and yes it does use more CPU than EOS2 in this case. The developer doesn’t have much support currently.

• @tk32 said:
    I've bought tons of plugins, and these are my top 10 favourites (note: all are AUv3)...

Synths:

• Poison 202
    • iSEM
    • Zeeon
    • Troublemaker

Synth drums:

• Ruismaker
    • Ruismaker FM

Effects:

• FAC Chorus
    • Rough Rider (free)
    • EOS2 Reverb

Midi:

• Rozeta

Nice list! Will check them out.

• edited January 2018

Maxima is pretty fantastic. I am just doing a quick and dirty mastering pass on a big mix of all my BM3 tracks so far and am amazed at how easy it has been to bring them all in line without overblowing things.

• @Audiogus said:
    Maxima is pretty fantastic. I am just doing a quick and dirty mastering pass on a big mix of all my BM3 tracks so far and am amazed at how easy it has been to bring them all in line without overblowing things.

You using this as a MASTER/MAIN OUT and/or pad basis?

• @mefisme said:

@Audiogus said:

You using this as a MASTER/MAIN OUT and/or pad basis?

I do use it on banks/pads at times but tonight is just on audio tracks for ‘mastering’...

• @Audiogus cool I'm going to have to look into this one for sure. I want to master my tracks in BM3. I've been sending them off.

• @mefisme said:
    @Audiogus cool I'm going to have to look into this one for sure. I want to master my tracks in BM3. I've been sending them off.

It certainly works for me. I’m not trying to top the charts or anything, just makes tracks I enjoy listening to myself while getting better at the creative/ideation side. Now I feel I can just start and ‘finish’ tracks in BM3, feeding it tons of stuff from different sources along the way.

• If anyone has some mastering they'd like done... I'm looking to gather some material for a portfolio and possibly enter that area as a sideline. Would be down for mastering a few people's tracks for zero fee.. Pm if interested, nothing to lose really, if you didn't like the work just don't use it ;) And no cash outlay either way. My own material isn't very suitable for this in a portfolio sense cos im a cassette junky.. Too lofi to use as examples to bring in business ;)

• @Heyez said:
    If anyone has some mastering they'd like done... I'm looking to gather some material for a portfolio and possibly enter that area as a sideline. Would be down for mastering a few people's tracks for zero fee.. Pm if interested, nothing to lose really, if you didn't like the work just don't use it ;) And no cash outlay either way. My own material isn't very suitable for this in a portfolio sense cos im a cassette junky.. Too lofi to use as examples to bring in business ;)

I might. I'll keep you in mind. Mastering is really interesting through other people's ears. I'd love to.

• @mefisme said:

@Heyez said:
    If anyone has some mastering they'd like done... I'm looking to gather some material for a portfolio and possibly enter that area as a sideline. Would be down for mastering a few people's tracks for zero fee.. Pm if interested, nothing to lose really, if you didn't like the work just don't use it ;) And no cash outlay either way. My own material isn't very suitable for this in a portfolio sense cos im a cassette junky.. Too lofi to use as examples to bring in business ;)

I might. I'll keep you in mind. Mastering is really interesting through other people's ears. I'd love to.

Thanks for considering :) Drop me a pm if have anything you'd like to hear me do some work on out of curiosity.

• @Heyez said:

@mefisme said:

@Heyez said:

Thanks for considering :) Drop me a pm if have anything you'd like to hear me do some work on out of curiosity.

Sure when I get that far I'll PM, leave you plenty of headroom. :)