Mapping multisamples as an instrument on one pad.

Hoping @5pinlink or @mathieugarcia can maybe come to the rescue and do a quick 1 minute video to show how this is supposed to be done. Every time I try it and drag samples across from browser to the mapping page I can't make any sense of it.

Samples don't land where I drop them on the keyboard (I drop a sample on one key and it flies off to another zone instead..).

Samples don't maintain the velocity zone I set while dropping them (I strech it to full height. Drop it.. it shrinks to non-full height...).

The audition keyboard along bottom of screen doesn't always seem to work, even for notes with samples assigned.

Was one of the things I was most looking forward to in BM3 but I'm struggling to use it. Will RTFM tonight but seems like something that a quick video would really help users out with.

Please help!

Comments

• Also finding that some samples will full env release like a one shot when I press the key on audition keyboard at bottom of screen, and others are gated and only sound during when I press a key. This is in a brand new project with no settings altered for env per layer etc. Very confusing!?

Side note.... would be great to be able to access undo while dragging samples from browser to zones. Without having to close browser/reopen browser...

• 1 I drag a sample
    2 notice that I change the load type to “add to existing layer”
    3 I drag in more samples
    4 I drag one to the wrong key to show how to fix using settings at top

Note I haven’t changed the sampler layer setting to hold, I do that after mapping personally, but you can do it whenever ;)
    Let me know if you need more.

• Thanks a lot @5pinlink! Somehow my experience here is waaaaaaay less predictable than the behavior you're getting :/

Here's video of the kind of stuff that was happening earlier. Will try again tonight -

• edited January 2018

@Heyez turn off keyboard velocity. It is on in your video. Or looks like it became infinitely selected or something. Maybe I’m wrong.

• I have no idea at all what is causing that, i have never had that happen even once :(
    What iPad is it ?

• @mefisme said:
    @Heyez turn off keyboard velocity. It is on in your video.

Thanks, will try this!

• @5pinlink said:
    I have no idea at all what is causing that, i have never had that happen even once :(
    What iPad is it ?

Yeah it's been driving me nuts! 2017 9.7"

• @Heyez I’m pretty sure you just found a bug. If you set key velocity prior to load. Behavior is broken. Good find. Let the boss know.

• edited January 2018

@mefisme said:
    @Heyez turn off keyboard velocity. It is on in your video. Or looks like it became infinitely selected or something. Maybe I’m wrong.

Keyboard velocity has nothing to do with mapping though, it just changes the velocity that the preview keyboard sends, so wont change the velocity of sample mapping.

• @5pinlink But it might be changing the behavior of the drop points when using multiple samples combines with new/existing layer. I just noticed his video was dropping some of the keys at his velocity points. I can’t get it to do this yet.

• @Heyez There are 3 drop states. Whole key bed, octave, single note based on where your finger drops the sample. I think you may have accidentally glitched something and made velocity dropping happen which isn’t even implemented that I’m aware of.

• I have never been able to get it to support velocity mapping by drag n drop (A good thing)

• OK.... So think I figured it out. Went and tried it with some drum samples. It mapped like @5pinlink video.

It's the Samples! The samples from Mars samples I was using have some data sewn in to them. Which actually means they basically map themselves. I just throw them across without having to do anything... Pitch and multi-velocity info is auto. Result!

• I would love to know how to tag samples meta data like that, still had no luck achieving that myself.

• @5pinlink said:
    I would love to know how to tag samples meta data like that, still had no luck achieving that myself.

Related to this post kinda. I think I should post a bug thread for tags and metadata because on multiple accounts I've had three wav files get corrupted after trying to tag them. These were just normal wavs and after tagging would add 4kb of data to them but then the sample would no longer play. My empty.wav RIFF can't be tagged permanently because it has no space for metadata so when I tag it BeatMaker 3 database remembers that rather than the RIFF. But I see this as being a problem with samples with metadata already placed.

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    I would love to know how to tag samples meta data like that, still had no luck achieving that myself.

Out of my area I'm afraid mate, can't even begin to make suggestions :(

It's turned from a nightmare in to total simplicity. Happy days. @mathieugarcia can we please get bulk sample drag from browser on to the mapping keyboard ;) Would mean re-building instruments in BM3 in one move/one second!

Going to download a bunch more of the samples from Mars stuff I bought a little while back. Haven't even looked at it since I got it but this has got me way more eager to get mapping ;)

• @5pinlink .wav file writing. You do it in a special text editor and then write that to the .wav. It's essentially what BM3 tags system is doing for you.

• Besides having to drag samples across individually instead of multiple select, this is sooo painless with Samples From Mars samples now to map them. Good times!

Anyone else using Samples From Mars and recommend some standouts? There's a lot to download/sift through...

• I wanted to see this in action, so I looked and found samples from mars has free packs available, and some include multisampled instruments, and they do indeed have embedded info that allows them to automatically map to the correct notes. So far I’ve tried with one of the synths in their snacks from mars pack.

• Yeh there are a few free packs Iirc. Think there's an oberheim to tape pack that's free?

Worth people grabbing em considering how easy they are to map in bm3 :)

• @ronji said:
    I wanted to see this in action, so I looked and found samples from mars has free packs available, and some include multisampled instruments, and they do indeed have embedded info that allows them to automatically map to the correct notes. So far I’ve tried with one of the synths in their snacks from mars pack.

You can do this with any samples just not in BM3. It's very complex though. And we have a bad bug I just found in BM3 Kinda scary with BM3 tagging system. Word of warning: tagging a file and then zipping it, then performing a hard reset of database will erase the reference to remove the tag. Meaning it will be hard baked into your samples with no way to remove it. Trying to perform and additional tag after this might corrupt your wav files. Just pointing it out.

• @mefisme ouch. I’ll definitely avoid that for now.

Also, even though these wavs have note data, the note data is only applied to mappings when dropping the samples onto the mapping page. I guess this makes sense though. When loading samples to the same layer in the sampler page, it’s kinda assuming you want all of the samples to trigger at the same time on any note key.

Also these samples from mars wavs include the loop start and end points, which come across regardless of where they’re dropped. Of course that means they also automatically get set to hold mode and loop forward.

• @5pinlink @Heyez @ronji for any of you guys should you want to know more about .WAV file writing and metadata. This might be a good read:

http://wavmetadata.blogspot.com/2013/10/wav-audio-files-can-hold-several.html?m=1

• Yeah i have been doing that for years, my meta data never works in BM3 though ?

• @5pinlink perhaps download one of the free packs from SFM and see what they're doing that might be different?

• Yeah i might do at some point, but to be fair, dragging and dropping the samples is not that much of a hardship on BM3 anyway.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah i might do at some point, but to be fair, dragging and dropping the samples is not that much of a hardship on BM3 anyway.

Can literally fling em across from browser with the SFM samples. Like dealing cards ;)

• Mine are all self made, i don't buy others samples, not cause they aren't amazing by the way, but i'm so old now that i cant remember what is what, I forget they are there unless i made them myself, and to be honest it takes as much time tagging samples to automap as it does to just map them, so it all works out for the braindead (Me) in the end :)

• @5pinlink said:
    Mine are all self made, i don't buy others samples, not cause they aren't amazing by the way, but i'm so old now that i cant remember what is what, I forget they are there unless i made them myself, and to be honest it takes as much time tagging samples to automap as it does to just map them, so it all works out for the braindead (Me) in the end :)

Haha, I know how you feel on the braindead thing ;) I've never mapped someone else's samples before but going to see how I get on. Ie. til I get bored. Or til I realise I'm not using/not going to use any of the instruments I'm spending time rebuilding ;)

• Can someone tell me what this Samples by Mars stuff is? I have no idea what samples or packs you are referencing. I just want to know what’s in them so I can begin building functional BM3 wavs.