new requests and features

hi adore this app is really amazing, use on mac ableton live and live the ipad only with this app, which I find a meeting point between ableton and masculine, but much more comfortable for the protability and ease of use, I suggest in my opinion what could improve even more completeness

1 to be able to export ableton project / set format

2 related to Maschine: RANDOMIZATION AND HUMANIZATION - the possibility of randomizing position and velocity in the roll plane

3 always related to Maschine: LOCK FUNCTION - freeze the set to apply effects and more and then return to the initial settings

4 always related to Maschine: GATE MODE - the ability to use the gate on loops during playback using pads and key mode

Comments

• edited January 2018

1 I would prefer the desktop version of Beatmaker.

2 Yeah both of these are invaluable if done right, hoping we get them at some point.

3 Yeah this could be done real well with the X/Y pad.

4 This could be great for Todd "The god" Edwards style vocal shifts, but the way it is implemented in maschine is crap, would be better as an effect like Autotune so that it can be used on plugins too.

• @5pinlink said:
    1 I would prefer the desktop version of Beatmaker.

+1 over ableton export.

• edited January 2018

I should have been a little clearer, i would prefer the desktop version but not until iPad version is fleshed out more, desktop release right now would be missing a few "expected" features, no point rushing it and giving it a bad name for itself.

• @5pinlink said:
    I should have been a little clearer, i would prefer the desktop version but not until iPad version is fleshed out more, desktop release right now is missing a few "expected" features, no point rushing it and giving it a bad name for itself.

That’s how I feel. IMO, Just no ableton export at all til desktop version.

• Has there been any hint as to whether desktop bm3 is going to also be able to be hosted inside another daw as a vst? Like maschine?

• They haven't put too much thought in to it yet (direct quote) but last time it was asked, @mathieugarcia did mention they would definitely think about that, and they have hinted BM3 as an AU on IOS, so looks promising.

• I think the version descktop would be a a copy of templates, the beauty of bm3 is portability, compactness and the fact that no need for a computer, so the descktop version would be useless in my opinion, instead the integration also via midi remote script for ableton it would be perfect

• @5pinlink said:
    They haven't put too much thought in to it yet (direct quote) but last time it was asked, @mathieugarcia did mention they would definitely think about that, and they have hinted BM3 as an AU on IOS, so looks promising.

Cool. BM3 as hosted vst would be amazing.

• I think the Desktop version is going to be Mac only? If so...I want ableton export first because I am not on a Mac.

• @drez said:
    I think the Desktop version is going to be Mac only? If so...I want ableton export first because I am not on a Mac.

This definitely makes sense.

• yes ok this post, however, is not to debate if there is a desktop version or not
    , but on adding features!

• It is stated by Mathieu that the ALS SDK has not been available to Intua yet. It probably requires licensing and is probably also changing when Live 10 comes out. Patience all. Lol!

• Think desktop is going to be both win + mac? Gotta be couple of years off tho before workflow streamlining and features are comparable to desktop? Ableton export would be cool in meantime.

• @Heyez said:
    Think desktop is going to be both win + mac? Gotta be couple of years off tho before workflow streamlining and features are comparable to desktop? Ableton export would be cool in meantime.

I haven’t the slightest clue. I’m not Internal. Wish I knew. I see no rush though for a desktop version. IMO, BM3 is at a point where it will have long term support.

• It was going to be Mac only, but in the most recent mentions they have hinted at Windows too, to be fair BM3 is too good not to be Mac and Win.

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    It was going to be Mac only, but in the most recent mentions they have hinted at Windows too, to be fair BM3 is too good not to be Mac and Win.

I truly hope so. I didn't know if they wrote it in something like swift or whatever that wasn't windows friendly. Like Gadget (so far) is iOS/Mac only, and I'm guess because of what language its written in.

• edited January 2018

1-4 hitting the spot. Sold Maschine and slightly miss a few things... Also after lining up a handful of BM3 songs’ stems in Ableton yesterday export to it would be welcome.

• @drez said:

@5pinlink said:
    It was going to be Mac only, but in the most recent mentions they have hinted at Windows too, to be fair BM3 is too good not to be Mac and Win.

I truly hope so. I didn't know if they wrote it in something like swift or whatever that wasn't windows friendly. Like Gadget (so far) is iOS/Mac only, and I'm guess because of what language its written in.

Korg use JUCE as far as i know, if that porting to Nintendo Switch was any easier than Windows i would be surprised, Korg have let it be known previously that they dont support windows because of warez, so when a product is dead in their eyes they port to Windows lol, look at legacy.

• omg I haven't heard the word "warez" in so long!

• @5pinlink said:

@drez said:

@5pinlink said:

Korg use JUCE as far as i know, if that porting to Nintendo Switch was any easier than Windows i would be surprised, Korg have let it be known previously that they dont support windows because of warez, so when a product is dead in their eyes they port to Windows lol, look at legacy.

Yeah, I mean if it’s easy to port to Windows after they’ve already written it for OSX, then NOT porting it to Windows would seem pretty stupid, warez or not. They get zero dollars from Windows people if they don’t port it at all. And I seriously doubt anybody is saying “oh look Gadget is now on Windows?!? I’m selling my MacBook so I can get a cracked version on Windows!!”.

• I doubt anybody on Windows is saying I miss Gadget either, no disrespect to Mac owners (I own a ton of them and windows and Linux machines too) but they are dumb as dog s**t when it comes to over priced crap (Gadget) and that simply wont fly with the majority of windows users, Gadget was something of a joke to Windows users when it was released for OSX.

BM3 is much more suited to Windows users too compared to Gadget (that’s just my opinion though)

But yeah, a port of Gadget to Windows is easier than switch if they are indeed using JUCE, which they have for all their other software so far.

• The more I think about it the more I think iPad is possibly going to begin to fizzle out for production in a couple years. Windows tablets will become cheaper and more powerful. Many people have thousands of $ invested in desktop plugins already. And desktop has a LOT of cheap/free software for those that haven't and for hobby dudes etc. Working a daw between two platforms just isn't optimal (for instance no rozeta on Windows. No vcv rack on ios. And obviously many many fx/synths that arent cross compatible). = tons of track freezing and subsequently limited editing.

Soon as those more affordable windows tablets and smaller size models appear the desktop devs will begin to accommodate Touch much more than they currently do.

Gadget is a good example. No one in their right mind would pay for that on desktop. Reaper + equivalently cheap/free softsynths is way more powerful. The desktop > iPad integration is literally the only solid reason to buy gadget for desktop. But how long are people going to want to integrate projects between totally different platforms? Surely the ideal workflow is to stay in the same daw on the same os? Studio/portable/shows.... With iPad just becoming an instrument/external sequencing tool like any other piece of external hardware.

BM3 as vst would be pretty useful in any outcome though.

There's a possibilty that BM3 will also refine itself in to a challenger to current desktop daws. In which case standalone would be great too. But in terms of workflow and features that will require some serious rethinks/overhauls/additions....I can't see it happening any time soon. I think it's closer to being a great instrument than a great daw. It's not 'too' far from either tho, so who knows :)

• Ipad kicks any Windows tablets ass in terms of low latency using the built in headphone, most developers on desktop think touch control is a complete joke and will never waste too much effort making fully touch compatible UI, it's a super niche part of a super niche market.
    So right now i don't see mobile music crossing to Windows tablets any time soon, and there will never be an OSX tablet.

I do expect one thing though, and it has already been happening for the last couple years, that is "The Linux effect" as in "This year Linux is going to really break through on the home desktop" they have been saying that for ten years now, "Surface is going to replace IOS for mobile audio" has been touted for about four years, it is vastly more powerful, has a ton of hot desktop software available, still gets nowhere haha.

• @5pinlink said:
    Ipad kicks any Windows tablets ass in terms of low latency using the built in headphone, most developers on desktop think touch control is a complete joke and will never waste too much effort making fully touch compatible UI, it's a super niche part of a super niche market.
    So right now i don't see mobile music crossing to Windows tablets any time soon, and there will never be an OSX tablet.

I do expect one thing though, and it has already been happening for the last couple years, that is "The Linux effect" as in "This year Linux is going to really break through on the home desktop" they have been saying that for ten years now, "Surface is going to replace IOS for mobile audio" has been touted for about four years, it is vastly more powerful, has a ton of hot desktop software available, still gets nowhere haha.

I don't have any more noticeable latency on my surface Pro 3 than my iPad? Asio4all and headphones socket works fine for me when doing similar cpu hit tasks as I do on my iPad?

Re developers thinking touch is a joke... Dunno man. Bitwig is pretty savvy? That seems like a pretty big icebreaker.. Niche market atm like you say but as more people begin to own touch windows tablets the rest of desktop devs will eventually encorporate touch more in to their code/design...or lose business to those that do.

Surface will never replace ipad, too expensive. Always gonna be premium price item from microsoft.. But other windows tablets in next few years may well do... Apple aren't exactly generous with their spec so it shouldn't be long before equivalent price windows tablets are equal or more powerful than that price range iPad... <haven't researched this but seems pretty natural conclusion judging from history of macbook vs laptop?

A lot of people have switched from iPhone > android. Mac to pc. Apple appeal isn't what it was 10 yrs ago and has its own enduring problems/drawbacks...

• edited January 2018

You do realise that most Windows tablets are crossing over to Arm CPUs over the next couple of years and running desktop software emulated, right ?
    First units are starting to ship, stories last week of minimal performance hit are grain of salt times.

People switching from Apple to xyz, i would love this to be the case to bring Apple down a peg or two/lower costs, unfortubately it is not the case and that is why they can sell 30 million iPhone Xs, Apple is not entirely about best product, there is a lifestyle sometimes cult aspect to purchasing Apple product.

Desktop developers supporting touch, unfortunately this doesn't ring true either, Bitwig were paid a ridiculously large bursery to create touch support for one particular event by MS (they paid a ton of developers to create Surface interest) superior touch control already existed in Stagelight and Cakewalk Sonar years ago, one is near unheard of and the other went bankrupt
    DAW software on hand held computing is so super niche it doesnt even register on most DAW developers roadmaps, Touch on larger screens has already been proven to be insidious to your health in repetitive long term use, so that is largely ignored by developers too (Most DAWS dont even give you multitouch mixer support)

Dont get me wrong, im not saying this because it is what i want, its the very opposite, i originally owned a Dell Axiom pocket PC (still got it lol) and have owned most generations of Windows tablet and have a current generation i5, in reality Windows 10 isnt touch ready even though it is supposed to be, it falls massively shy of IOS and Android in that regard, and using software for more than ten minutes turns in to "Plug in the mouse ffs"

• Personal opinion now follows!

I have a lot of experience working with different touchscreen devices, especially Surface Pro's 3 and 4 and iPads (all versions) both personally at work and supporting a larger scale organisation. I still chose to buy an iPad Pro 10.5 when it came to a personal purchase for music. Obviously the apps available drew me in, but I also find the iPad touch screen very responsive, app install is a breeze, app security is low hassle, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity just works and rarely needs re-setting up or troubleshooting, CPU and RAM utilization/management is good, the amount of lifecycle years without needing parts repaired is surprisingly high (yes, always exceptions, just going on what I have seen with the numbers I have worked with).

No regrets going iPad at this point. My biggest concern is app developers not making enough sales and shutting down their apps. I also use a PC at home which works great for VCVRack and learning the basics of Reaper. Nice combination with the iPad. I'm looking forward to better interoperability between the two systems coming in the future.

• There won’t be a problem when Apple introduces universal app support between Mac Store.

• @GusGranite said:
    Personal opinion now follows!

I have a lot of experience working with different touchscreen devices, especially Surface Pro's 3 and 4 and iPads (all versions) both personally at work and supporting a larger scale organisation. I still chose to buy an iPad Pro 10.5 when it came to a personal purchase for music. Obviously the apps available drew me in, but I also find the iPad touch screen very responsive, app install is a breeze, app security is low hassle, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity just works and rarely needs re-setting up or troubleshooting, CPU and RAM utilization/management is good, the amount of lifecycle years without needing parts repaired is surprisingly high (yes, always exceptions, just going on what I have seen with the numbers I have worked with).

No regrets going iPad at this point. My biggest concern is app developers not making enough sales and shutting down their apps. I also use a PC at home which works great for VCVRack and learning the basics of Reaper. Nice combination with the iPad. I'm looking forward to better interoperability between the two systems coming in the future.

Performace between ipad and surface Pro 3 are negligible from my experience. It's the size and available apps built to accommodate touch that lead me to opt for ipad instead of my surface Pro for portable.

But if there was an affordable 9.7" Windows tablet with same specs/performance and a handful of amazing apps for Windows touch...
    That'd probably be enough for me to reconsider. I already have Fabfilter and countless other similar quality fx plugins for Windows. Things I can't even use on iPad without buying in to auria. Not to mention diva, repro 5, Omnisphere, Kontakt, VCVRack, mtron Pro,list is endless.. It would make sense for me personally... Even without the element of keeping everything on the same platform between portable and studio machines.

• I have to agree with @heyez on this a fair bit, if the apps do come for Windows, I will take it any day anytime over IOS, if BM is released for Windows I would switch to surface in a heartbeat.

• @5pinlink said:
    I have to agree with @heyez on this a fair bit, if the apps do come for Windows, I will take it any day anytime over IOS, if BM is released for Windows I would switch to surface in a heartbeat.

Mmm, had not thought of this but hell yah.