so many crackles when using AU knobs and Macro knobs... please do something about it !

At first I thought it only happened when using Macro knobs set for AU plugins (I posted about this bug 2 weeks ago and it seems it’s a know issue...). But I didn’t know it happens when using simple AU knobs ! I'm on an iPad Pro, I have iSEM loaded as an AU plugin and when I play with the AU knobs (when you select “show AU knobs”), I have audio crackles every time, all the time... This is very very hard to admit, for such a simple function. Of course these crackles don’t happen if you use the knobs on iSEM UI, but if Intua decides to implement these related AU knobs on BM3 UI, which I find to be is a very good idea, it shouldn’t cause any problems, because with audio crackles like that, this is a totally useless menu we have here... I hope this will be fixed in the next update .

Comments

• Just put of interest, is this crackles or zipper noise ?

• Thank you! The same issue has been reported in this thread but I don’t think we nailed down for sure the fact that it all has to do with the AU knobs, not the macros, and also that it’s not juts Zeeon but probably several/all AUs.

• @5pinlink said:
    Just put of interest, is this crackles or zipper noise ?

My English is not good enough when it comes to technical and specific terms, I wasn’t even sure “crackle” meant something. I would stick with crackle but could you explain to me what’s a zipper noise please ? Thanks

• @5pinlink @cyril777

I understand what zipper noise is, from reading about it, but I don't know if I've actually heard what it would sound like in comparison to general audio crackles. I just tried to find examples, but I'm only finding text explanation or actual zipper sound effects. =/

"A rapid stepping effect that sounds like a type of distortion. It's sometimes audible when changing parameters in a digital device, especially things like filters, delay times, and gain settings."

• edited January 2018

Assign a rozeta lfo to a sampler gain via MIDI CC, use something plain as the sound like a sine or such, as the LFO goes up and down you will hear it step because it isnt interpolated (128 steps of MIDI CC)
    That is zipper noise, i will do a video when i get home.

• Im just trying to work out if all these issues are interlinked and caused by no interpolation.

• @5pinlink said:
    Im just trying to work out if all these issues are interlinked and caused by no interpolation.

I was thinking the same thing after you mentioned getting zipper noise in that midi cc thread. Wouldn’t it be great if it was all caused by interpolation problems and could all be fixed at once? =D

• Is there a recording of all these "Crackles" anywhere, i will be able to say straight away if it is zipper noise unless the modulation soyrce is ridiculoys like noise or such.

• So a good test to see if it’s the same might be to use an AU that can produce a plain sound and turn the AU knobs, and compare that to what happens when rozeta lfo controls a parameter via midi cc

• @5pinlink said:
    Is there a recording of all these "Crackles" anywhere, i will be able to say straight away if it is zipper noise unless the modulation soyrce is ridiculoys like noise or such.

I will record these “crackles”, then you will be fixed. But I’m not sure if I can attach a file on the forum my iOS web browser (iCab), and I don’t have my computer near me. I will post the recording of these “crackles” later this evening or tomorrow.

• I did some tests, and the zipper noise I can clearly hear when rozeta lfo is controlling gain via midi cc is consistent and constant, while adjusting AU knobs for gain of Poison 202 is intermittent and usually at the beginning of the movement, or after pausing and resuming movement briefly. I also set up rozeta lfo to control macro 1, then set macro 1 to control poison 202 master level via AU knob, and I don't hear any zipper noise or crackling, but when I turn the AU knob manually, I do get momentary crackling. So this seems like it's more to do with AU knobs.

• My guess would be the UI thread interfering with the audio render thread for some reason. Every plugin synth engine I know does its own interpolation internally, so zipper noise through MIDI CC "jumps" is not very likely :)

• @5pinlink : with delay in my answer, here’s what I call audio crackles :
    (I attached the audio file in this post but I can’t see it on the preview. So I put it on my Dropbox too, just to be sure :-) here’s the link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3mpv08bs0vkyd0q/AADScMIk9xNoff5dB-yJ_7MYa?dl=0

• FYI there is no audio file inserted in your post, just checked.
    Will check out your dropbox later, wavefiles cant be previewed so will need to download it.

• @5pinlink said:
    wavefiles cant be previewed so will need to download it.

maybe not on your potatophone :joy:

• Uh ?
    Wavefiles cant be previewed in dropbox on Android or my two ipads or MacOS or Windows.
    What phone are you using ?

• edited February 2018

iPhone 7+, but I opened the link in Chrome on my Windows desktop, it played embedded in the dropbox webpage. I opened the link in Chrome for iOS on my iPhone, it opened the link in the dropbox app and played the wav. I opened the link in Safari on my phone, it had a button that said "open in app" which opened in the app and played there as well. Just tried via Chrome on my iPad, and it did the same thing as my iPhone, opening the dropbox app and playing there. There was a delay as it probably downloaded the wav before previewing.

• Just says wav can not be previewed here on everything, safari chrome firefox, must be a regional thing ?

• edited February 2018

Anyway just downloaded and listened, that is a combination of buffer over run and zipper noise, you can hear the zipper noise in the stuttering, but the slowing down of the audio is buffer over run.

This is all related to the zipper noise issue of MIDI CCs, but it is not the same, just related, i suspect fixing the zipper noise will partially fix this.

• @5pinlink said:
    Just says wav can not be previewed here on everything, safari chrome firefox, must be a regional thing ?

aw lame! a regional restriction on previewing wav files sounds odd, so hopefully it's not that. according to this article, wavs should preview. here's a post where someone couldn't preview images, and the fix has to do with browser settings. it should work on desktop browsers, and on mobile you should need to open the folder/file with the dropbox app.

• Im not too worried, downloaded and confirmed zipper noise is good enough lol

• @5pinlink Another example of audio noise/parasite :
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=109aPHF2LloNxfal34yqITYnig6wAz9UX
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5622np4ak9tnbyc/cracks_moving filter res knob.wav?dl=0
    (it’s the same file but I remember you had problem playing the file from Dropbox, so I uploaded it on GoogleDrive too)

I don’t know if it’s the same cause but this kind of audio “crackle/noise” happens all the time. In this example, I tap on a pad (not playing a pattern), a kick, while turning slowly the filter resonance knob. It’s very disturbing when you want to shape your sound and hear this all along. I don’t know if you experience this phenomenon too, but I think fixing this should be among the priority.

• i get this same crackle noise but only when i have my headphones plugged in to the headphone port. if i use the lightning adaptor it doesn't seem to happen much, and when it does happen it's probably a dodgy IAA plugin.

• Some effects parameters would require smoothing to avoid those crackles.
    This will be added in an upcoming update.

• @cstep4444 said:
    i get this same crackle noise but only when i have my headphones plugged in to the headphone port. if i use the lightning adaptor it doesn't seem to happen much, and when it does happen it's probably a dodgy IAA plugin.

I use an Apogee Duet and I still hear them. And it’s not coming from an IAA plugin but, like the example I linked, the low pass filter (I added) in the FX slot of the sampler. But I agree, I hear these crackles a lot more when I use my headphones.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Some effects parameters would require smoothing to avoid those crackles.
    This will be added in an upcoming update.

This is a very good news ! If this problem could be fixed for the Macro knobs and the AU knobs too, it would be even better !