Midi controller blues..

Thanks everyone for the clarity on the other thread. I think focus actions were conflicting and causing my issue. Midi Learn within apps like Zeeon is working now after I removed all focus settings.

Now looking for some help/advice in setting things up in some kind of fluid way that resembles what I'm used to when working with a midi keyboard in a desktop daw. Some reason I'm struggling to get there in BM3 and it's probably down to user error. Midi isn't really my area :(

I have nanokey studio. Which is an OK controller keyboard but doesn't allow for switching midi channels on the unit itself. And I don't want to use the keyboard's 8 scenes for this.. I want those for different CC so I can assign to more than 8 knobs worth of params and access them via the scenes.

Going to look out for something that allows for quick midi channel switching though, sucks it's not possible on Nanokey Studio. I took it for granted that it was a hidden button shortcut but seems like it has to be done in editor software....

Soooo Im trying to figure out how/if I can make BM3 work like my desktop daw does. Where I hardly ever switch midi channel on my keyboard and just select the track and the keyboard automatically only plays that track.

Trying to do this in BM3 so that whatever pad I have selected is the only one my midi keyboard sends notes to. But it's playing synths from other banks too that are on the same channel.

Basically I want to be able to have 8 scenes on the korg that are all the same midi channel but 8 x 8 different CC on the knobs. And for this to auto work for whichever pad I am on. And no other pads simultaneously.

Any help would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• edited January 2018

@Heyez the Korg Kontrol Editor software should work for all Korg nanoseries. Have you read the manual?

• Thanks but that's not really the problem ;) My problem is I want to stay on the same midi channel on keyboard and have BM3 automatically just receive on the 'current' pad/bank. Like Ableton/Reaper etc. But I'm thinking about it now and wondering if I was just really dumb earlier, need to check couple of things when I get a minute...

• @mefisme said:
    @Heyez the Korg Kontrol Editor software should work for all Korg nanoseries. Have you read the manual?

Yup I read manual. But unless I missed a trick to change midi channel from the hardware without using editor it doesn't really help for my problem. Thanks anyway for links tho :)

• edited January 2018

I have all three nanoseries 2 and you have to edit the controller to listen to independent channels as it's set in the controllers ram to defaults. Probably midi channel 1 for everything. If I had one id program the presets for you.

• @Heyez you know what we need. Editors for mobile platforms. That would be so nice.

• @Heyez It may not help you as you may already know these things, but other users that buy the nanoseries will find this helpful so I’m putting this in the thread. I don’t know yet if there’s a program that can dump sysex from a controller and resend the new info to that said controller without a ram rewrite.

From the kontrol editor manual:

• @mefisme said:
    I have all three nanoseries 2 and you have to edit the controller to listen to independent channels as it's set in the controllers ram to defaults. Probably midi channel 1 for everything. If I had one id program the presets for you.

Ah! So it's a two way conversation for this stuff then? I always assumed that daws just received and allocated midi info. Didn't realise that they were also sending info back to the controller for this kind of thing. I'll check out the editor and see if I can get it set up. Need to connect it anyway to set up the scenes for CC.

Thanks!

• @mefisme said:
    @Heyez you know what we need. Editors for mobile platforms. That would be so nice.

Yeh for sure!

• @Heyez said:
    Ah! So it's a two way conversation for this stuff then? I always assumed that daws just received and allocated midi info. Didn't realise that they were also sending info back to the controller for this kind of thing. I'll check out the editor and see if I can get it set up. Need to connect it anyway to set up the scenes for CC.

Thanks!

Definitely two separate systems. Just trying to teach and help ya.

• @mefisme said:
    @Heyez It may not help you as you may already know these things, but other users that buy the nanoseries will find this helpful so I’m putting this in the thread. I don’t know yet if there’s a program that can dump sysex from a controller and resend the new info to that said controller without a ram rewrite.

From the kontrol editor manual:

Thanks. I don't fully understand all the implications.. Is that info going to hinder me achieving the setup I'm looking for?

• @mefisme said:

@Heyez said:

Thanks!

Definitely two separate systems. Just trying to teach and help ya.

Yeh I only ever had to use midi in/out in 'normal' ways in other daws with hardware... Didn't realise that when I use ableton it was sending info to controller for this kind of thing, even when I hadn't set up midi out!?

Thanks!

• @Heyez said:
    Thanks. I don't fully understand all the implications.. Is that info going to hinder me achieving the setup I'm looking for?

I don't know what your trying to do fully. I understand you want different CCs. You'll be able to do that. What I don't know is if scenes carry separate midi channel assignments.

• @mefisme said:

@Heyez said:

I don't know what your trying to do fully. I understand you want different CCs. You'll be able to do that. What I don't know is if scenes carry separate midi channel assignments.

Maybe easiest to explain if we totally forget about CC for a minute. I'd just like to be able to kind of auto-glue my midi keyboard to the 'current' selected pad/bank.

So if I start on Bank A, pad 9 and that's got zeeon on it, then my controller triggers notes on that synth.

Then I change to bank B and select pad 6 and that has a moog model 15 instance on it. Now my controller automatically plays that moog. Without also triggering notes simultaneously on zeeon on Bank A, Pad 9.

I always found this to be standard Daw>Controller behavior - select the instrument/track with mouse and the controller plays only that track. With no need to do anything like switch midi channels on controller etc.

Can't BM3 do this? Seems quite a basic/normal feature? That's why I think maybe I've just been dumb somewhere along the line....

Do I definitely have to use different midi channel per instrument and bank in BM3 to avoid numerous pads/banks being triggered simulatanously? I'd probably run out of midi channels anyway if that's the case?

• @Heyez yes. This is the standard midi specification. Controllers generally have 16 midi channels to work with. Unless the manufacturer dumbs them down in some way or doesn't include an editor. For example an Akai apc40 was originally only meant to be used with Ableton. It has no editor because Ableton itself is the editor. It is essentially DAW LOCKED. Also, the apc40 has 16 midi channels but only 9 of them are actually usable that I found so far outside of Ableton. Every single MIDI controller is different. It has nothing to do with the DAW you use. A midi controller sends its information to whichever DAW you choose unless the controller requires proprietary drivers and does not use Apple's core audio compliant system.

• edited January 2018

So if the korg Nanoseries doesn't have independent midi Channel assignments for scenes you will be stuck with one Global midi Channel for all banks and pads and your only workaround will be to mute the bank you aren't playing at a specific time.

As part of my ambitious project that I have yet to announce in the forums, I will probably house prebuilt controller presets and bank presets for the Korg Nano series, oxygen 49 series, Akai apc and mpk series, and hopefully more by collaborators in the BM3 community. I'm also building a suggested templating system users can use and a community directory to house all these things.

Currently, if you'd like try my apc40 templates and sessions to experience an APC40 simulated environment of how it works. It is available in resources category.

• Thanks for helping out and writing. Think we might be over-complicating things though? I just want to automatically use the nanokey studio keys on current pad/bank. No matter which pad/bank I've selected in BM3. Is this not possible?

Your controller projects sound impressive :)

• Have you noticed any other threads on this @5pinlink? If it's not possible then I'm surprised it hasn't come up before. Standard daw+controller relationship behavior? Took it for granted that it would be an option in bm3.

• @Heyez said:
    Thanks for helping out and writing. Think we might be over-complicating things though? I just want to automatically use the nanokey studio keys on current pad/bank. No matter which pad/bank I've selected in BM3. Is this not possible?

Your controller projects sound impressive :)

We are not over complicating anything here. It just seems like it. To find out if your controller can do what you want it to do, use the Korg Kontrol editor. I don’t have the new nanokey studio or nanokontrol studio to test at the moment. I’m working on the APC40mki, mpkminimkii, and nanoseries2, and Maudio oxygen49 series at the moment. The nearest Music store is two hours away until I move so I’m unable to program or test efficiently which is why I will need the community on board to help all users new to midi and BM3.

• Have you tried turning on midi OMNI mode? The description is to route all midi to the selected pad.

• edited January 2018

@ronji said:
    Have you tried turning on midi OMNI mode? The description is to route all midi to the selected pad.

Duh forgot this. If he’s using one controller this works perfect.

• @ronji unless BM3 doesn’t listen to banks properly this way. Actually don’t think this will work. We don’t have a midi Omni option per bank. @mathieugarcia would this be possible?

• @ronji said:
    Have you tried turning on midi OMNI mode? The description is to route all midi to the selected pad.

Just came back on to say that I'd found this! Previously I had only been looking on the 'audio and midi devices' tab in settings.. Thanks for posting tho :) Yep this is exactly the behavior I was looking for. I can just toggle this off if I need to use a bank as a drumkit. Happy :)

Thanks for your help too @mefisme

• @ronji said:

This.
    Otherwise you have to set up the MIDI input each time.
    Unfortunately if you forget that it is on, it can be a complete pig brained rat bag and over ride anything else you try to do, so remember you have it turned on.
    It really should be a big bright button on the transport bar to be honest.

• @ronji said:

I can test later but wondering if this will mess up rozeta or if this setting only applies to external midi input?

• edited January 2018

Yeah like i said above, it is a complete rat bag, it will stop Rozeta working, i have pondered that omni should be removed and a more robust focusing of keys should be implemented.
    Focus Action:Trigger bank ?
    Or an extra option with Omni that instead of sends all MIDI to selected pad, sends all MIDI from selected MIDI input to selected pad, that would probably be the best solution for this.

• @5pinlink said:

It really should be a big bright button on the transport bar to be honest.

+1

@5pinlink said:

+1 for this hands down for Omni bounce per bank if that's what you are implying.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah like i said above, it is a complete rat bag, it will stop Rozeta working, i have pondered that omni should be removed and a more robust focusing of keys should be implemented.
    Or an extra option with Omni that instead of sends all MIDI to selected pad, sends all MIDI from selected MIDI input to selected pad, that would probably be the best solution for this.

Ah man... Bummer :( @mathieugarcia I'd definitely also find it very useful if we could do like 5pin suggested and select which midi input when activating this omni option in settings. So it only applied to my nanokey and didn't mess with rozeta functionality... Hopefully that's a possibility?

• @5pinlink said:

I wound up in this thread trying to do exactly what @Heyez is after. After hitting the same wall I said screw this and am back to just banging on the screen. What @5pinlink is suggesting sounds perfect, hope it'll work it's way into a feature request.

Successful Steps:

• When I used either Gadget or BM3 to establish the BLE connection, it was estblished for both pieces of software, so I guess that's an iOS dialog not an app specific dialog. Ok, at least it's connected.
    • New BM3 project, 1st bank go to plugins, load gadget.
    • Go into that bank's sampler section, highlight that first pad, hit horizontal ..., midi setup, midi output port gadget midi output channel 1
    • BM3 settings, settings & behaviors, (OMNI) ON
    • Back to Gadget, MIDI Input to Advanced, hit the midi button on the mixer strip for a channel, set that gadget's MIDI to "Gadget (Virtual Port), Ch. 1."
    • that works fine! and i can even set up another, 2nd pad to trigger an instrument on channel 2.

The wall I hit is that I can't control a bank full of different samples on each pad using the nanokontrol. omni mode correctly focuses on the bank/pad, but it seems like there's no way to focus omni on the bank and play notes across the different pads.

So I guess I just long windedly repeated what everyone on this thread has already said, but I'm maybe hoping someone has a solution that would let me play notes across different pads? It feels like it should be a button like the "keys" button on the right in pad mode.

• edited February 2018

We need Omni options per bank/pad or a toggle somewhere that enables Omni but disables output somehow from others if Omni is set on those. A focus action would be a great addition as well.