Patterns creation and management

I think something can be done with the way patterns are created and managed. Maybe it’s just the way I work but I’m crawling under a gigantic number of patterns, and naming them conscientiously doesn’t help. When I work in Song mode, I think too many patterns are created when using the merge, duplicate and slice functions. I think in Song mode, BM3 should follow the BM2 logic, and the “Duplicate” (the white button at the bottom right of the timeline) shouldn’t be the same Duplicate placed inside the 3 dots menu of a pattern. For example, if I want my pattern “A” repeating 4 time and I move only one kick in the last one, I have to duplicate my pattern A. As a result, I have a pattern B in my list which differs from pattern A only by this kick. And it goes like this for each slight changes I want to make. Of course, one solution is to merge these 4 patterns but merging also creates new patterns, same as slicing. So even if I correctly name all my patterns, it’s difficult to keep tracks when I’ve got 30 of them, especially when you can’t move them manually in the patterns list : it would be nice to be able to create folders in this pattern list, so it would be easier to separate Song patterns and Scene patterns.
Another thing while I’m on the pattern subject, in the Song mode, it would be nice to be able to trim patterns from both sides.

Comments

• Hi @cyril777

This has mostly been discussed already (link below), and we all agreed that the quickest and easiest solution would be to add a purge unused patterns command

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/25684

• @cyril777 or build a naming sceme with patterns and save the bank as a template.

• @tk32 said:
    Hi @cyril777

This has mostly been discussed already (link below), and we all agreed that the quickest and easiest solution would be to add a purge unused patterns command

Glad to know it’s not just me... I really liked the editing process in BM2. Of course the Scene mode didn’t exist, so patterns only existed if they were on the timeline. And this cuts across another topic I mentioned a few days ago, which is to be able to save patterns as individual midi files and not necessarily embedded within banks. It was possible in BM2.

• @cyril777 said:

@tk32 said:
    Hi @cyril777

Glad to know it’s not just me... I really liked the editing process in BM2. Of course the Scene mode didn’t exist, so patterns only existed if they were on the timeline. And this cuts across another topic I mentioned a few days ago, which is to be able to save patterns as individual midi files and not necessarily embedded within banks. It was possible in BM2.

That would be very useful. Like u save sessions and banks. There should be a way to save patterns (and not on a per bank way). Or better to export as midi.

• +1 for => "to be able to save patterns as individual midi files and not necessarily embedded within banks."

• +1 some sort of export option of patterns.

I'd even be fine with their own proprietary format.
    My pattern.bm3p

• No it needs to be MIDI, compatibility across apps on IOS and the desktop is paramount for success.

• @5pinlink said:
    No it needs to be MIDI, compatibility across apps on IOS and the desktop is paramount for success.

I wasn't saying midi export not be available. I want to save them as droppable patterns as well. Haha.

• Midi is droppable patterns, save a MIDI pattern out of desktop maschine and it works as a pattern in Beatmaker, having both is overkill.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Midi is droppable patterns, save a MIDI pattern out of desktop maschine and it works as a pattern in Beatmaker, having both is overkill.

I hadn't imported any midi yet. I haven't gotten that far in BM3 to see how it currently works. The manual says you drop it on scenes I think. Says it does transpositions to a ton of pads. Does it create a pattern for you? I suppose I could just write some quick mids on desktop to find out. I just was moving through the software in sections to not overwhelm myself.

• Drag it in and its a pattern, if it is a compatible MIDI file, MIDI import is poor at the moment, Maschine MIDI files work.

• @5pinlink said:
    Drag it in and its a pattern, if it is a compatible MIDI file, MIDI import is poor at the moment, Maschine MIDI files work.

Never had Maschine. Wish I did. Is the program itself free or have a trial? I know the hardware isn't.

• No, the software comes with the hardware.