Looking for some help in Sampler View existing layers question (SOLVED)

edited February 2018 in Support

Are all parameters in Sampler View inherited by all samples in an existing layer? Including the modulations and macro assignments? What about Loop Start/End pints or AHDSR / FILTER TYPE bypass settings? Modulations, Layer FX, mappings?

Comments

• edited February 2018

Also how would I load a sample to an existing layer if I have multiple layers? Do I select it first in the samples tab?

• edited February 2018

All parameters in sampler view are layer specific, except for start and end markers, sample loop, crossfade, bpm, signature, and duration controls. I don't know if inherit is the proper term, but if you add a sample to an existing layer, the existing settings for that layer will not be changed, and you can adjust these settings regardless of which sample in the layer you have selected.

Similarly, all controls in the modulations panel are shown per layer, regardless of which sample in the layer is selected. Selecting a different layer will show that layer's modulated controls.

Layer FX of course are specific to all samples in the selected layer, but mappings show all samples in all layers at the same time, highlighting the selected sample's mapped range.

To add a sample to an existing layer, select the desired layer in the samples tab first, then open the browser and make sure the setting is "add to existing layer". If you have it set to add to new layer by mistake, or if you just want to move a sample into another layer, simply select the sample in the list and tap the ... to move it to another layer (even a new layer if you're selecting a sample in a layer that has multiple samples).

• @ronji I appreciate this alot. So the only thing that doesn't inherit the existing settings is apparently the mappings for that layer. Would be cool to have an option to turn this on as a setting.

• There is no inheritance, a mapped layer is basically an oscillator, everything is post that in the audio chain.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    There is no inheritance, a mapped layer is basically an oscillator, everything is post that in the audio chain.

I'm using the word "inheritance" in relation to code programming. My bad. I was asking If I have existing layers already then adding a new sample to whichever layer "inherits" any of the controls already being modulated. Sorry for using the word this way. Need a different word.

• @5pinlink @ronji sorry about the word guys. My work is getting me mixed up.

• all controls are tied to layers (except for the sample loop, crossfade, bpm, signature, and duration controls), but key mappings are sample specific. it's a little confusing that the selected sample name and info is shown in the layer FX and modulations panels, when pressing the preview button plays the whole layer (unless a sample is muted). the sample name and info is only useful in the mapping tab, and the sampler tab as the waveform is shown and you can adjust the sample's start and end points and other sample specific controls. I guess it would be convenient if you could copy mappings or select multiple samples for adjusting all of their mappings.

that said, I'm getting some weird problems with a sample not playing even though it's muted after I've done some sample moving amongst layers. will probably file a bug report after more testing.

• @ronji except samples that are moved to a pre-existing layer will "change" the trigger type/hidden loop type of that sample to the pre-existing layer. I have not made sure other controls don't change that we don't know about.

• @mefisme Yeah, almost forgot about that bug/trick haha

• @ronji want any preset modulation pads?

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme hmm?

I have built a preset pad for users that allows quick setup of up to 4-8 modulations to be able to be used simultaneously or independently per sample on your external/virtual controllers. It is easier to setup this way and you won’t have to make any additional modulation adjustments to your own samples so it is in away non-destructive (prevents confusion of what’s being modulated). It uses an empty RIFF file renamed (since we can’t name layers or have a layer unless a sample is loaded) stored in pre existing layer and/or multiple layers.

• Sounds interesting. I can't quite visualize how I'd use it but I'm game to try it out.

• @ronji said:
    Sounds interesting. I can't quite visualize how I'd use it but I'm game to try it out.

Well I thought you had a nanokontrol? I've figured out how to use the modulations area to have as many encoders doing different things without any focus actions or macros. So I built this preset pad so users (should they want it) can simplify modulations by setting the modulations to empty WAV files rather than their own samples. Then all you do is drop the sample you want to modulate and it does so. You're only limited to the amount of control based on the number of CCs available by your controllers(externally or virtually).