A gain control in the process menu of the Audio Editor

To improve this already fantastic sampler, be able to change the gain of a selected area of the audio file would be a great feature. Like in TwistedWave or Hokusai...

Comments

• You can use normalize for this. The only limitation to me is that the selection edges are 'hard'.

• @Audiogus said:
    You can use normalize for this. The only limitation to me is that the selection edges are 'hard'.

Normalize is not gain control at all. I’m talking about the possibility to boost a selected part of 6 dB or reduce the gain of 3 dB, or whatever.

• @cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:
    You can use normalize for this. The only limitation to me is that the selection edges are 'hard'.

Normalize is not gain control at all. I’m talking about the possibility to boost a selected part of 6 dB or reduce the gain of 3 dB, or whatever.

Why can't you just automate this or use resample to another pad?

• @mefisme said:

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

Why can't you just automate this or use resample to another pad ?

Process is one click and this should be in process with a ton of other stuff too.

• @5pinlink said:

@mefisme said:

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

Process is one click and this should be in process with a ton of other stuff too.

Gotcha. Would be much easier for sure.

• edited February 2018

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

but selecting a piece of audio and tapping process > normalize, you can adjust the region up or down by your chosen amount of db. let's say the current level of the selection is -8 db, and you want to boost it by 6 db, then you'd use normalize on the selection and set it to -2 db. that won't work for you? it would be nice if there were horizontal guides indicating the db of the waveform.

Btw, I’m not saying that a separate option to boost or reduce gain by a specified amount isn’t needed, just saw the suggested workaround as something that you could use in the meanwhile.

• @mefisme said:

@5pinlink said:

@mefisme said:

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

Gotcha. Would be much easier for sure.

and less use of storage, cpu solicitation...

• @ronji said:

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

but selecting a piece of audio and tapping process > normalize, you can adjust the region up or down by your chosen amount of db. let's say the current level of the selection is -8 db, and you want to boost it by 6 db, then you'd use normalize on the selection and set it to -2 db. that won't work for you? it would be nice if there were horizontal guides indicating the db of the waveform.

Btw, I’m not saying that a separate option to boost or reduce gain by a specified amount isn’t needed, just saw the suggested workaround as something that you could use in the meanwhile.

But it would much easier and more natural, in an audio editor, to work like this :
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7hB612f6CjbLTNHMDYtd0QyQ2c

• @ronji said:

@cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

It’s a good workaround solution, thank you for pointing this out. I usually don’t use normalization, because most of the time, normalization means boosting your audio signal to the maximum and stay under the clipping level (well, it’s not exactly the definition but you know what I mean). And it may be the first time I see a Normalize with the possibility the set the amount of gain amplifying or reduction. So thank you for this good tip !

• @cyril777 yeah! Exactly =)

• One way could be to attach a step-modulator to the gain knob to automate the gain-change of the audio-clip.
    This on the other hand doesn't work with audio-tracks.

Another option here then would be to have the gain parameter overlaid on the waveform and automate the gain-changes.(ie. draw the automation curve while the wave-form is visible).

This would make it easy to do non-destructive gain-cahnges on the audio.

• edited February 2018

@samu said:
    One way could be to attach a step-modulator to the gain knob to automate the gain-change of the audio-clip.
    This on the other hand doesn't work with audio-tracks.

Another option here then would be to have the gain parameter overlaid on the waveform and automate the gain-changes.(ie. draw the automation curve while the wave-form is visible).

This would make it easy to do non-destructive gain-cahnges on the audio.

@samu This is how I do it and a great tip, or as @ronji mentioned by the normalize trick for destructive uses, or by automating the sample directly through modulation and/or resampling to another pad. I use empty waveforms so my original samples are unaffected.

• edited February 2018

More processes for me lol
    Including AU and native effects too, a sample editor should not need to rerecord to process.