what are these INSANE values numbers ??!!!

This post follows the discussion about the issue I have with the graphic result of recorded automations in the automation window of BM3. I am fighting for days with Troublemaker and automations. I thought I found the solution when I reloaded Troublemaker. When I did that, BM3 was showing correct numbers and correct scales. But when I reopened my session, these crazy values were back again, with differences, but still crazy.
@brambos : I know you told me this problem was coming from BM3 and not from Troublemaker, and I totally trust you. The only thing I want is to be able to work on my session and have fun tweaking Troublemaker's parameters. @mathieugarcia But maybe it's time to share informations and feedbacks because the screenshots I posted are uplifting !
I'm gonna upload another video showing another weird thing about these AU knobs...

Comments

• That app making trouble for you again..?... hahaha, oh man! Nyuck nyuck!

• @Audiogus said:
    That app making trouble for you again..?... hahaha, oh man! Nyuck nyuck!

😄 well done !

• Automation is a mess in BM3 right now, this may be part of the cause.

• @5pinlink said:
    Automation is a mess in BM3 right now, this may be part of the cause.

This should be a top priority for the next update, nothing serious can be achieve without automations. I really hope Intua is aware of that...

• I will make them up a video of the issues i have, if i can rplicate these i will add that too ;)

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    I will make them up a video of the issues i have, if i can rplicate these i will add that too ;)

Is this one in the bugabase?

A pattern with automation....

Sliced the pattern in half...

Note the automation is not sliced/moved.

• Thats a new one to me lol

• @Audiogus There’s a video on YouTube which explain the conflict between pattern automation and track automation, and it seems to that it’s precisely what you’re facing here. I wanted to attach the link but I can’t find it anymore ! I thought it was a video from Macrophonist but apparently it’s not, maybe you’ll find it (it looks like a developer tuto, very good quality, short...)

• How can it be track automation, you can see he has pattern automation open ?

• edited February 2018

I'm way behind on reading threads and noticed this. I have this happen all the time. The Automations are running off on their own depending on scenario. Pattern duration is longer than the duration you set in the background. So somewhere Automations are running past the loop brace. Even if you don't have loop brace on, the automation will capture past the duration you set. I don't know if I'm making clear sense here so sorry if I'm confusing anyone..

Anybody else experiencing lost Automations as well? There's one you need to probably be aware of I've experienced.. If you capture certain automatable paramaters (like the sustain pedal) in a pattern, then clear the pattern, your automation might still exist when it shouldn't. What's worse, undoing this doesn't bring it back to the pattern/track Automations window so good luck finding it if you have done this.

• @Audiogus splits are not going to change your Automations. They were captured specifically to the original pattern it seems according to your screenshots. a split is just a split in time. Notice your pattern loop brace has cut the automation off short. This is normal.

• @cyril777 said:
    @Audiogus There’s a video on YouTube which explain the conflict between pattern automation and track automation, and it seems to that it’s precisely what you’re facing here. I wanted to attach the link but I can’t find it anymore ! I thought it was a video from Macrophonist but apparently it’s not, maybe you’ll find it (it looks like a developer tuto, very good quality, short...)

I have had the track vs automation conflicts but this is purely a pattern automation editing issue.

• edited February 2018

I say it's normal. Guess it's really not though if you play this in song view and that automation outside of your pattern brace is actually heard. If not, then it's doing what it is supposed to do.

• @mefisme said:
    I say it's normal. Guess it's really not though if you play this in song view and that automation outside of your pattern brace is actually heard. If not, then it's doing what it is supposed to do.

Issue is he chopped the pattern in half, opened the resulting second half and it still had all of the automtaion from the beginning of the original pattern. If original pattern 6 had automation going from 0-100, and got chopped in half, new pattern 6 should have automation from 0-50, and pattern 7 should have 51-100

• edited February 2018

Here is a clearer example.

Here are two bars. (Bar one uses pad2 while bar two uses pad8)

Note the automation directly under bar two (pad8)...

Now I cut the pattern..

Note the resulting automation on the pattern that is now bar two (pad8)

In other words...

Pattern automation should be cut and displaced just like notes are so that the two stay aligned. We already have track automation that runs independantly.

• @Audiogus @ronji . I follow now. There isn't pattern automation displacement though. True question would be are track Automations displaced properly? Because if not, automation is crap then across the whole app.

• @mefisme said:
    @Audiogus @ronji . I follow now. There isn't pattern automation displacement though. True question would be are track Automations displaced properly? Because if not, automation is crap then across the whole app.

As far as I can tell Track Automations are fine.

• @ronji said:

@mefisme said:

Issue is he chopped the pattern in half, opened the resulting second half and it still had all of the automtaion from the beginning of the original pattern. If original pattern 6 had automation going from 0-100, and got chopped in half, new pattern 6 should have automation from 0-50, and pattern 7 should have 51-100

Should it? That would sound awfully weird.

@Audiogus said:

@mefisme said:
    @Audiogus @ronji . I follow now. There isn't pattern automation displacement though. True question would be are track Automations displaced properly? Because if not, automation is crap then across the whole app.

As far as I can tell Track Automations are fine.

So even when separating the two tracks a certain distance apart does the automation go with it?. Probably not. These are some of the issues with pattern/track automation. We don't have simple controls to move automation lanes on song view itself. I bet if you move a pattern, a user will forget the original automation is even there at the original point of capture. :(

• Point being, if you look at every other DAW, both desktop and iOS pro even some cheap general DAWs. Automation lanes are almost always either fixed atop tracks with a button or as a collapsible window below the said track. I'm not sure why BM3 took the approach they did with automation. My guess is this pattern/track combination. And I suggest we all brainstorm together to make it better somehow. Maybe it will already be better in milestone release 3.1. ;)

• Pattern based should be a separate pattern to the note event data, so we have automation pattrns, not pattern automation, much much more powerful.
    Took me ten years to get them to implement automations clips (patterns) in Reaper, everybody saying i should shut up, now NOBODY uses the standard track automation lol.

But that cutting in half should work anyway obviously.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Pattern based should be a separate pattern to the note event data, so we have automation pattrns, not pattern automation, much much more powerful.
    Took me ten years to get them to implement automations clips (patterns) in Reaper, everybody saying i should shut up, now NOBODY uses the standard track automation lol.

But that cutting in half should work anyway obviously.

Ahhhh! Cockroach. Don’t let it eat your music! I’m glad you were part of Reapers development. No wonder it’s so awesome!

• @Audiogus said:

@cyril777 said:
    @Audiogus There’s a video on YouTube which explain the conflict between pattern automation and track automation, and it seems to that it’s precisely what you’re facing here. I wanted to attach the link but I can’t find it anymore ! I thought it was a video from Macrophonist but apparently it’s not, maybe you’ll find it (it looks like a developer tuto, very good quality, short...)

I have had the track vs automation conflicts but this is purely a pattern automation editing issue.

Yes, apparently. I had the track vs pattern automation conflict as well and it’s a bit tricky to follow BM3 logic.

• @cyril777 said:

@Audiogus said:

@cyril777 said:

Yes, apparently. I had the track vs pattern automation conflict as well and it’s a bit tricky to follow BM3 logic.

Yah I find when I load up an old project to work on again I am having a little initial 'checklist' of things to look for like 'where did I put the automation?'.