Any way to set auto detect tempo as default?

Hi, folks, still kind of learning the ropes here.

I'm using audio clips as scenes, and I have some I want to use that are 75 bpm. I set the session tempo to 75, yet whenever I import a sample, it just assumes it's 120, so I have to then auto-detect the tempo and then adjust the loop range... am I missing something, here? If I have the session 75 BPM tempo, and I'm pulling in a 75 bpm loop, why would I have to go back and do that to every sample?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Because tempo detect is garbage and only works on very basic principles, this way you could have a 5 beat sample, auto detect would never know what tempo that was.
    Auto tempo is only good for exact bar loops, and even then it is guessing number of beats.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018

So how does it read a sample with 5 beats that is 4/4, are you saying it works that out from transient spacing or such ?
    (Thats pretty damn awesome, but a massive massive amount of development work involved)
    Maschine certainly cant do that, no other host i know can do that, in fact with most of them they dont give options, so it completely negates the auto tempo detect, Maschine is particularly bad.

• edited February 2018

If it is autodetecting exact loops, then it is all boiled down from the original masterpiece which was Acid Pro, and Reaper is currently the best you can get for that because you can turn stretch and resampling off or on etc.

But Logic is Logic, they may have some exotica going on that you simply wont get elsewhere, but it would have to be doing a lot of guesswork, and i am saying right now, the demo video (i havent watched admitedly) will be using samples "That work" "hey i have this pad loop that is 3/4 and 27 beats long" is going to fail miserably every single time lol, just no way anything other than a human could listen to that and guess its loop/beat points (needed for tempo calculation), and even humans will struggle badly without transients, two different people would use the sample in different ways/Tempos.

After even conquering that (not saying Apple havent, they have the only unlimited resources in DAW development) i will leave you with another thought, poly rythmns !!!

• So yeah, it still has beat markers that need adjusting, like every DAW, which is exactly what Beatmaker does pre the detection so that when it detects it is always perfect :)

Swings n roundabouts, some like to cure, some like to treat.

• I think it would be nice to have an opiton, perhaps, to, where when you set the temp, you have a 'set loops to tempo" button, meaning it tells BM that all of the loops you're using in the project should be treated as that tempo. Maybe I'll put in a feature request.

• Not sure what you mean ?
    As i explained earlier, for it to set it to the precise tempo it needs to know beats and meter.

• Perhaps a setting where you can hard sync tempo... let me give you an example... I have a 90bmp project that I plan on using 90 bpm prerecorded samples for. I'd like to have it so BM, if I choose, will go ahead and set those sample tempos to 90 bpm, that way I don't have to go back in and adjust the tempo AND readjust the loop cursors. It just makes a lot of unnecessary work. I don't need it to detect them, as I'm telling them what they are, right from the start. Does that make sense?

• @Lordradish said:
    Hi, folks, still kind of learning the ropes here.

I'm using audio clips as scenes, and I have some I want to use that are 75 bpm. I set the session tempo to 75, yet whenever I import a sample, it just assumes it's 120, so I have to then auto-detect the tempo and then adjust the loop range... am I missing something, here? If I have the session 75 BPM tempo, and I'm pulling in a 75 bpm loop, why would I have to go back and do that to every sample?

Thanks in advance.

Your sample doesn't have it's bpm details in metadata. The default is 120 if not set. BM3 is supposed to do this for you when you resave the sample after setting the initial tempo. If It's not, there are other ways of doing this.