808 Science CLEAN Tuning is Off - what do I do? [workaround]

edited January 2018 in Support

808 Science pack from the BM3 store. I was driving myself mad for a bit trying to pair another instrument with my 808 CLEAN bank, wondering why nothing was sounding good even though I was using the same notes... I finally brought out the TonalEnergy Tuner and found that I was not insane. Note: all other 808 science banks are in tune, and all but the WARPED bank have visually different sample mapping, but at least WARPED is in tune. CLEAN is not. I’m not yelling, the banks are just named like that. Also note I took each sample from the CLEAN kit and placed them on individual pads and they all appear to be tuned as named (not in the video below), so maybe this is just a mapping problem?

Anyone else have this pack and have this same issue?

Sorry, screen recording won’t record audio, and I’ve tried recording this 4 times now, but you can get the necessary info from the video alone.

Comments

• Of course not till after I made this post did I notice the difference between the sample mapping of CLEAN and WARPED is that CLEAN has all samples root keys set to C3. Set the roots to the same notes as labeled and now it’s all good! This has been my introduction to sample mapping.

• Did I mention I get 2% commission from "808 Science" sales due to this month's Electro battle theme...

(only joking)

I'm very excited to see the 808s coming out in full effect this month, and even more excited to hear what the almighty @Ronji can do with it :)

• edited January 2018

=D I’m definitely tryna use this pack in battle 5! But to be fair it’s probably the first pack I bought months ago and I even used it in the Xmas battle! I definitely recommend everyone go pick it up, especially since it’s only like $3, and now you can follow the tip in this thread to retune your CLEAN kit before INTUA can get the store copy fixed =)

• Hey @mathieugarcia not sure if you’re the right person to bug about this, but the 808 CLEAN kit is still out of tune due to the odd mappings that are set. Lemme know if you need any more info

• @ronji said:
    Hey @mathieugarcia not sure if you’re the right person to bug about this, but the 808 CLEAN kit is still out of tune due to the odd mappings that are set. Lemme know if you need any more info

The kit was probably meant to be played warped. It does not necessarily mean the kit is incorrect if someone didn't set the root keys while listening to the clean samples. I wish I had the pack, I'd dive in and solve this confusion.

• @mefisme nah, the kit has to be wrong. I can record another video, but ALL of the other bass kits in the pack are mapped differently than the 808 CLEAN kit, all of them with the root key set to the note on the sample. if you watch the vid in the first post, you'll see that i'm playing the keys in the unmodified kit, and they're totally out of tune. each sample layer is set to root key C3, even though they're clearly labeled with other notes.

• I see what you mean. Is the 808 kit being treated as a keys Instrument in the pack?

• in this vid I go through all of the 808 bass kits included in 808 Science. you'll see that all of them, including one called "WARPED" are properly tuned, except for CLEAN. towards the end you can see how differently the mappings are done, and how I fix them by changing the root note of each sample.

• edited February 2018

@ronji here's a possible issue. The reason clean might be out of tune is because of the way aged vintage analog gear works. This is called drift. Could this be the issue and why they chose to warp it?

• Maybe CLEAN should actuallybe called Raw ?

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Maybe CLEAN should actuallybe called Raw ?

In this case, yeah It might help users to label it something like that. Or ORIGIN or whatever. I could see the clean samples from the original gear drifting which is why it might be mapped so weird plus according to @ronji videos, everything else here seems modified so the tuning gets more accurate (more like covered up). Not sure if tonal energy is displaying completely accurate results. I saw like -19 cent deviation on that. Unless it’s the iPad mic interferenc and vibration of the device conflicting.

• edited February 2018

I still don’t get why you’d record a sample, name it E1, it is tuned at E1, it’s mapped to E1, but the root note is C3, and now it plays as G#. Why would you do that? TonalEnergy is pretty good at Tuning, and if it reads slight detuning then that’s fine, but whole semitones off doesn’t seem useful in a bass instrument, which these are. I didn’t show any of the 808 drum kits that come with the pack.

• I think I’m going to buy this pack. Just for the sake of this issue. The root note setting in mappings doesn’t have any way of knowing about your samples in any way. It’s for keys mode’s root key/or a pads key. I see how this causes utter confusement because they didn’t set the root note to the samples specific key. Thats why I was implying they never considered a user changing the instrument’s parameters or playing it a different way.

• @mefisme it is a great pack, and well worth $3, but this kit is set up as an instrument to be played with keys mode, not just some samples spread across different pads like a drum kit or assorted sound kit. I can’t imagine that they intentionally didn’t set the root note just for this one kit. Can’t wait to hear from someone who is actually responsible for this pack’s creation! =)

• @ronji said:
    @mefisme it is a great pack, and well worth $3, but this kit is set up as an instrument to be played with keys mode, not just some samples spread across different pads like a drum kit or assorted sound kit. I can’t imagine that they intentionally didn’t set the root note just for this one kit. Can’t wait to hear from someone who is actually responsible for this pack’s creation! =)

True. I'm just going to get it now so I can interpret what their decisions were. Brb.

• @ronji for starters the macros (metal machine specifically) are preventing this from being clean in any way. So step one is definitely Bypass crusher and other effects.

• Also, there it drift in the clean samples. So it is in fact vintage gear resampled.

• edited February 2018

Definitely a mapping booboo as well. Good catch @ronji however no one would hear it because the polyphony is set to 1. This was probably a very frustrating build for the samplist.

This also means you are never hearing the E that was in fact sampled. Intua needs to fix immediately.

Screenshot:

• edited February 2018

@ronji So to answer unofficially. Yes D#2 and above are most definitely out of tune worse than the rest. But they also implied to never hear it clean here which is backwards because it’s called 808clean. The name is only in reference to the samples apparently (raw) and because of macro effects (bitcrusher forced), you are never hearing it clean anyways.

• Thanks for confirming!

• And if anyone would like a video of me showing the drift and tuning error against a pure sine at concert pitch I can.

• @ronji said:
    Thanks for confirming!

No problem buddy!

• edited February 2018

@ronji best workaround is adjust the zone for this mistake to end key D#2, and anything past E2 to C4 will always be slightly out of tune unless you move it to a new layer turn warp on. You might get a less clean signal doing this but could also make a neat breakup effect. They didn’t sample anything higher. Meant to be used as sub here for sure. Someone gave up I think or ran out of time. 2.99 price point is labor costs and covers the gear. Lol. And for true clean bypass bitcrusher at least. I’d bypass all personally.

One other solution is to build this out up to C4 with the lower samples, could sound funky as well.

The samplist did a good job capturing the vintage gear here. So I’m not implying this sucks. It’s actually quite nice!

• @ronji said:
    I still don’t get why you’d record a sample, name it E1, it is tuned at E1, it’s mapped to E1, but the root note is C3, and now it plays as G#. Why would you do that? TonalEnergy is pretty good at Tuning, and if it reads slight detuning then that’s fine, but whole semitones off doesn’t seem useful in a bass instrument, which these are. I didn’t show any of the 808 drum kits that come with the pack.

I didnt watch the video, but reading that, its just a plain and simple xxxx up lol.