Just got Beatmaker. 3.. Nice app but.. a lot of basic functionality bugs!

Just got Beatmaker 3.0.10. Nice app... but a lot of bugs and anoyances at basic functionality..

• play-pause: AU synths last note keeps on playing forever. This happens** all the time**.. sometimes restart is necessary
• midi panic button is hidden behind 3 clicks.. and doesn't stop hanging audio
• first notes of a pattern hard to record.. are recorded outside of a pattern most of the time
• first notes of a pattern don't get played, or get played a lower volume when looping pattern in song mode..
• how to paste notes at pre-defined position??
• GUI way too dark.. no lighter skin option?
• GUI is too cramped.. everything is so tiny, too easy to accidently change a parameter
• notes in a pattern + patterns can be placed right on top of each other.. confusing and hard to see
• moving short notes is hard to do.. requires zooming: please seperate move notes and lengthen notes function
• why no repeat pattern by stretching?

Comments

• @SlowwFloww said:
    Just got Beatmaker 3.0.10. Nice app... but a lot of bugs and anoyances at basic functionality..

There are a lot of things that have yet to be implemented because Beatmaker 3 uses in-house custom frameworks. Beatmaker 3 is a super complex DAW. It also will someday not just be an iPad iOS daw. Not all features can just be implemented like its a piece of cake. They will come eventually, and some of these things might even be resolved in 3.1. You never know.

I’m letting you know because I can agree with you on many levels with some of these ‘annoyances’ as you describe, but some of these you have posted are your personal annoyances and not all can be considered bugs.

• play-pause: AU synths last note keeps on playing forever. This happens** all the time**.. sometimes restart is necessary

You have not specified which AU synth is giving you problems. Let us know so we can confirm.

Midi panic button is definitely buried and agree it should be somewhere outside of settings. And hanging audio? What if the audio being produced is no longer being triggered by MIDI? We need more details as to what you are describing here.

• first notes of a pattern hard to record.. are recorded outside of a pattern most of the time

With polyphony and in KEYS mode I can confirm this. The first notes are touchy but this is also dependent on a user’s hesitation to the pre-roll. It would be only hard to record if you are not prepared to play the first notes. Try extending your preroll to see if that helps your mind prepare to record. If it still misses the first notes, then we have a slight timing bug in when the preroll actually turns off compared to actually recording.

• first notes of a pattern don't get played, or get played a lower volume when looping pattern in song mode..

I need to hear this and see this. Will try to confirm for you or others can.

• how to paste notes at pre-defined position??

Cant yet. Not implemented.

• GUI way too dark.. no lighter skin option?

No lighter skin option. This is a personal annoyance.

• GUI is too cramped.. everything is so tiny, too easy to accidently change a parameter

Personal annoyance. A full screen option for pads in PERF view would be nice.

• notes in a pattern + patterns can be placed right on top of each other.. confusing and hard to see

Confirmed. I consider this a bug even though it’s not. Overdub should be default.

• moving short notes is hard to do.. requires zooming: please seperate move notes and lengthen notes function

Personal annoyance. Definitely could use some UI changes.

• why no repeat pattern by stretching?

Don’t understand what you mean here.

Keep in mind, I’m on your side here on many points. Not shutting you down :)

• @mefisme said:

@SlowwFloww said:

Midi panic button is definitely buried and agree it should be somewhere outside of settings. And hanging audio? What if the audio being produced is no longer being triggered by MIDI? We need more details as to what you are describing here.

Hmmm, 'doesn't stop hanging audio'. Not too sure what this means either but maybe simply double tapping the stop button? I do this a lot to stop long samples from continuing.

• edited February 2018

Hi guys, thanx for taking time to reply to my post..

First of all, I want to say that Beatmaker is a very sophisticated app.. It really has great features and I’m glad I tried it.. I will commit the next couple of weeks to really master this app! I hope some bugs get fixed over time.. I',
    m planning to use this + Caustic as my main music prodiction apps, they have enough features for me to replace Ableton Live.

I agree, some points of my past are personal preference.. I compare Beatmaker to Ableton Live and Caustic - 2 apps that have a nice workflow.. and then some things ain’t that logical to me… But then, maybe I just have to get used to the BM workflow..

About the bugs, I will try to recreate them and record them with the screenrecorder of my iPad, and post the link to the video here..

And about that ‘hanging audio’.. I meant when I play my song and press pause, the last note of my AU synth (Kauldron) keeps on playing.. I doesn’t receive a note off message..
    Haha, ‘hanging audio’.. it was a quick translation from the dutch ‘hangende noten’ :-)

And 'repeat by stretching’.. Ableton and Caustic use this.. When I create a 1 bar pattern, it gets repeated/duplicated when I stretch that pattern in song mode.. So instead of duplicating a 1 bar loop everytime, I can just stretch it to 16 bars in a quick and easy way..

• @SlowwFloww said:

And 'repeat by stretching’.. Ableton and Caustic use this.. When I create a 1 bar pattern, it gets repeated/duplicated when I stretch that pattern in song mode.. So instead of duplicating a 1 bar loop everytime, I can just stretch it to 16 bars in a quick and easy way..

GarageBand does this very well. One of the best things about GB.

• @SlowwFloww @stormywaterz

Just to make sure I am understanding you both correctly, are both of you talking about extending a pattern and the MIDI automatically repeating in that pattern versus just extending the duration? That would be nice; however, BM3's sequencer does have a workaround to this you might not be aware of. Repeat a pattern, select all the repeated patterns, choose merge.

• @mefisme said:
    @SlowwFloww @stormywaterz

Just to make sure I am understanding you both correctly, are both of you talking about extending a pattern and the MIDI automatically repeating in that pattern versus just extending the duration? That would be nice; however, BM3's sequencer does have a workaround to this you might not be aware of. Repeat a pattern, select all the repeated patterns, choose merge.

Yah that is what they are talking about. I just tried Garage Band to see how it was implemented there. It seems the same as on my PC daw (Samplitude). It is handy. You can still slice the clip too after it is looped etc. I am not sure if there are any knock-ons or gotchas in getting this working in the BM3 design but it didn't feel like there would be any. But yah, ultimately I do find just hitting repeat with the option to merge to be pretty painless too.

• edited February 2018

@Audiogus BM3 definitely does follow it's own ideas of sequencing. But I can't really decide if this behavior like other DAWs would be necessary. If it improves workflow to implement then I would +1 this in a heartbeat. I would have to time it to a clock. Right now I just tap repeat quickly select merge done. I would have to test this in other DAWs to find out what is the fastest. Stretch/split or repeat/merge. You get me?

@mathieugarcia what do you think?

• edited February 2018

@mefisme said:
    @Audiogus BM3 definitely does follow it's own ideas of sequencing. But I can't really decide if this behavior like other DAWs would be necessary. If it improves workflow to implement then I would +1 this in a heartbeat. I would have to time it to a clock. Right now I just tap repeat quickly select merge done. I would have to test this in other DAWs to find out what is the fastest. Stretch/split or repeat/merge. You get me?

Oh yes, I totally get you. For me personally it would be down around 50 on my priority list and mostly just to make a fussy friend of mine happy who first brought it up to me a few months ago when I tried to sell his 'desk sitting' Ableton ass on 'use it anywhere' super awesome BM3. ;)

• Repeat merge is no workaround, Repeat is the workaround.
    If you merge then they are not ghosts IE if you change the first one they all change (Repeat) merge removes that.

• Beatmakers arranger is probably the worst i have used in any DAW, but nobody here seems to care that much, so no point me saying anything.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Beatmakers arranger is probably the worst i have used in any DAW, but nobody here seems to care that much, so no point me saying anything.

I find myself loving a lot of things in it that I have not used in other daws and missing only some things (mostly to do with audio tracks/clips). For the most part though, makes me pretty gosh durn diddely happy.

I would love to hear your arranger feature dream list though! Let loose the dogs!

• Put it this way, Beatmaker cant be released on desktop as it is now, it may be good enough for iPad producers, but as i have noticed a lot lately, they happily settle for second rate, desktop users that will already have an expensive DAW will not.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Put it this way, Beatmaker cant be released on desktop as it is now, it may be good enough for iPad producers, but as i have noticed a lot lately, they happily settle for second rate, desktop users that will already have an expensive DAW will not.

I get yah. For me PC is the land of many options and way more power at the price of cognitive overhead. It isn't so much relaxing and chill which is what I like about BM3 (on ipad). Chill but with sweet sampler/chopper power. That being said for sure the arranger could use more though.

For me my wish list is small. In order of priority...

-midi clip stretching (half, double or variable)
    -five point editing on audio clips.
    -overall better/ quicker bouncing to and from banks / audiotracks
    -subtracks per bank
    -automation clips
    -midi clip reverse

Honestly BM3 on desktop.... hmmm, eh, I dunno.

• BM3 in desktop will happen, there is a lot of money on the desktop, it isnt ready yet, thats for sure.

• @5pinlink said:
    BM3 in desktop will happen, there is a lot of money on the desktop, it isnt ready yet, thats for sure.

I meant I dunno if I am intetested, not I dunno if it will happen. I like laying on the couch too much.

• Working in GarageBand and I have a 8 bar looos already set I can do a one bar pattern on another channel and just hit loop and it stretches to the 8th bar and if I make a edit in that bar it changes the rest of the loop to match. It has its advantages with editing. I can slide up and down the timeline to the length that I want. Bm3 is like blocks. One thing I hated about maschine was that same mentality. Say the block is 16 notes but I have a piece that is 20 notes and it starts early it’s hard to move on the timeline. You have to create a block and another pattern and slice them together.

• @Audiogus said:

@5pinlink said:
    BM3 in desktop will happen, there is a lot of money on the desktop, it isnt ready yet, thats for sure.

I meant I dunno if I am intetested, not I dunno if it will happen. I like laying on the couch too much.

Surface pro, Beatmaker + Serum GTF !!!!!!!!!

• @5pinlink said:

@Audiogus said:

@5pinlink said:

Surface pro, Beatmaker + Serum GTF !!!!!!!!!

Hehe, I suppose... Aparillo and BM3 would be a nice ride. Looks like the Surface is a bit big for me to use while walking down the street though, which I love to do, particularly in the summer. Hopefuly if/when/what/huh the day comes that there is a nice powerful >10" BM3 windows machine.

• Why not iPad mobile, Surface at home hahaha, that's the way forward ;)
    Serum, Klanghelm, Toneboosters ooooooooohhhhhhh !!!!!

• @5pinlink said:
    Why not iPad mobile, Surface at home hahaha, that's the way forward ;)
    Serum, Klanghelm, Toneboosters

Mayhaps, mayhaps... sexy plugins are my one weakness.

I have ODed on bouncing tracks and transfering files though... after my last xmas break PC mixing sessions I am starting to feel there should be no more mega platform spanning projects for me. BM3 has shown me that the most I should consider now is just plugging in an external sound source for midi/sampling. ‘Desk angst’ and ‘laptopittus’ are very real conditions for me. I need to minimise my exposure to them significantly.

If we can do some sort of convenient BM3 windows to BM3 iOS single session package back and forth track freezing / session parity magic tricks I would consider it but it would have to be pretty darn snazzy and quick. I just love having the unbroken, super smooth ‘ten minutes on the crapper in the morning before running out to continue plunking on the train’ seamless workflow, low barrier of creative entry in accessing everything at once on one portable comic book sized slab.

Even if I take a hit on fx and synth flexibility by only sampling my VSTS and using Zeeon then so be it.

• edited February 2018

I've made some videos to show the strange behaviour of BeatMaker 3. They are easy to reproduce, it happens everytime..

• track solo & aux track
    When soloing a track with a send to an aux track, the aux track gets muted. The aux track should not be muted.. Also, the other tracks are heard when 1 track is solo'ed and the aux track is solo'ed too. That's strange!

• when paused notes keep playing no note off:

• first note does not get played from Poison202 synth when a pattern is looping:

• First note does not get played from iSEM synth when a pattern is looping:

• edited February 2018

@SlowwFloww said:
    I've made some videos to show the strange behaviour of BeatMaker 3. They are easy to reproduce, it happens everytime..

• track solo & aux track
    When soloing a track with a send to an aux track, the aux track gets muted. The aux track should not be muted.. Also, the other tracks are heard when 1 track is solo'ed and the aux track is solo'ed too. That's strange!

>

It makes sense to me the way it is now. Solo should only play the track(s) that are solo(ed) so if the aux is not solo than it should not be heard. Hearing all the tracks on the solo’ed aux track that are being sent to the aux also makes sense to me.

• when paused notes keep playing no note off:

Yah a quicker kill switch for all notes seems needed.

• first note does not get played from Poison202 synth when a pattern is looping:

• First note does not get played from iSEM synth when a pattern is looping:

this does happen to me with a few synths at times as well, not always though. I seem to recall seeing it as a known bug.

• edited February 2018

Alright.. it's just personal preference then. Ableton and Caustic do not work this way.. when you solo a track the sends are not muted.. Even on my MPC500 track solo means the other tracks are muted, so they do not produce sound. So they also don't send audio to the aux channel.. I rather prefer that...

But okay... no sequencer is perfect... So, I just have to live with these design choices..

• edited February 2018

@SlowwFloww said:
    Alright.. it's just personal preference then. Ableton and Caustic do not work this way.. when you solo a track the sends are not muted.. Even on my MPC500 track solo means the other tracks are muted, so they do not produce sound. So they also don't send audio to the aux channel.. I rather prefer that...

But okay... no sequencer is perfect... So, I just have to live with these design choices..

You want non-exclusive toggling. Me too. We may get it if I can explain the darn issues right. Lol. Auxes are currently limited to effects and have no Input options. So yes. Audio isn’t actually outputted by them independently. You’ll want to use an audio track instead. This is just currently. If it’s heavily requested it might be implemented.

• What you are asking for is called "Solo in place" and has been requested as an option previously ;)