Discussion on 3rd party eq/compression (vs built-in)

edited February 2018 in General

Lately I've been tempted to pick up some of the most useful looking 3rd party EQ and compression AUv3 effects, and I wondered what everyone's opinion on these were vs the built-in parametric eq and dynamics tools.

The 4 I am most interested in are:

• Zmors EQ
  • DDMF 6144 EQ (emulation of Neve Portico 5033)
  • DDMF NY Compressor
  • FAC Maxima (is this a compressor too, or just a limiter?)

Notes:

• The Zmors seems great for sound sculpting, but - apart from the m/s options - is it really any better than the built in EQ?
  • The 6144 EQ looks like a really nice way to boost freqencies and add shimmer more transparently than cheaper EQs.
  • The NYCompressor seems a far better option for my needs - ie drum compression - than Intua's dynamics, or the free Rough Rider 2.
  • Maxima looks nice, but is it really just a limiter? In which case it probably doesn't belong in the mixing stage.

Does anyone have experience witht these, or advise if they are noticebly better than the built-in options?

Comments

• I want to find one that has an FFT built in.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I cant get very good results out the built in limiter, in fact i am not sure it is a limiter at all, the compressor works but i wouldn't say it sounds particularly special, problem is that most IOS AUv3 effects are pretty poor anyway, it is pretty much only independent developers creating these plugins and unfortunately there is no Tonebooster or Klanghelm style developer on IOS yet, so there is very little standout.

With an overhaul (Usability more than sound) BMs EQ will be all anybody could realistically need on IOS.

• I struggle with bm3 eq and compression. I feel like GarageBand for me is the strength of iOS but rough rider 2 is easy for me. I’m trying FuxEQ right now. But it crashes in bm3.

• edited February 2018

Maxima, a chunk of the app store description says...

“It's a clever combination of dynamic processors that can be set to provide a gentle transparent signal boost respecting the initial dynamic or significant colorised level maximisation. ”

So in my amateur brain it implies that it is a bit of an under the hood parameter chain secret sauce. It really is not something I have used before and is the only AU that I would want a vst version of.

As for Toneboosters, that would be amazing. They could even get away with selling them at the same PC price imho.

• Yeah give me Toneboosters and Klanghelm and IOS is on par for mixing.
    That being said, a ton of Airwindows is now open source, hopefully they get ported because they are some awesome plugins.

• @Audiogus said:

“It's a clever combination of dynamic processors that can be set to provide a gentle transparent signal boost respecting the initial dynamic or significant colorised level maximisation. ”

So in my amateur brain it implies that it is a bit of an under the hood parameter chain secret sauce. It really is not something I have used before and is the only AU that I would want a vst version of.

As for Toneboosters, that would be amazing. They could even get away with selling them at the same PC price imho.

Would this be considered a transient master?

• @stormywaterz said:

@Audiogus said:

Would this be considered a transient master?

I dont think it has much of a transient shaper component going on. I would just call it a ‘level sweetener’.

• edited February 2018

Respecting the initial dynamic just means a long attack/short release on the compressor, no Transient design going i suspect.

• @5pinlink have you listened to the DDMF plugins? Great reviews on desktop versions and iOS ports sound great to my novice ears.

• Yeah DDMF do some good stuff ;)

• Woah just got No Limits by DDMF and it is great for taming Ape Filter.