Tardigrain issues in BM3

Big fan of this new granular synth. Issues in BM3 though. I record some notes in to the BM3 sequencer via the BM3 keyboard. When I play the recorded notes back there's a lot of glitchy artefacts and crackle. Cpu is only at 15% and these crackles aren't there at all whilst I'm playing notes during recording. Only ever there on playback. Is there some kind of setting I've skewed somewhere? BM3 problem or Tardigrain problem? Driving me nuts...
Thanks!

Comments

• Just tested in Cubasis and no glitching. So frustrating....

Think my BM3 patience is almost spent for the time being. Going to give it a break til the next update and see if the fundamental midi issues can be fixed. Still a big fan of the app and devs but it feels like it's going to be a while yet before it's a stress free environment, it's too exhausting and time consuming to constantly have difficulties with core functionality like this..

• This may be unrelated, but when using Model 15 as an AUv3 on my new iPad pro 10.5 BM3 still pops and crackles occasionally, even though the DSP never goes above 15%.

It tends to happen more when I'm using the modulation and pitch bend wheel.

I'll test the same setup in Cubasis later

• Yeah maybe related I guess? I tested it numerous times in BM3. New session with One instance of Tardigrain. Noodling around on keys and during recording is fine. But playback is audibly weird and glitchy.

Dunno really, just know that BM3 is the only daw I have that significantly often doesn't playback what was recorded. Either there's midi timing problems or audio glitches.

I wish I had more time for music amd this stuff didn't bug me so much but I have very little available time most days and things like this just kill a session dead or take ages to continually fix timing etc.

• Tried everything I can think of now but no joy. Anyone else on Tardigrain and having same problem? @5pinlink maybe?

• I dont buy many AUs unfortunately.
    With it being granular i would hedge my bets on BM3 not giving enough of a buffer for the effect to work, but as there are no settings outside of audio interface buffer, its hard to say, so is purely a guess.

• Just out of interest, is this a live input effect or load audio in effect or both, if so does it do it with both ways ?

• @5pinlink said:
    I dont buy many AUs unfortunately.
    With it being granular i would hedge my bets on BM3 not giving enough of a buffer for the effect to work, but as there are no settings outside of audio interface buffer, its hard to say, so is purely a guess.

It's weird though because playing it live and during recording, everything is fine. It's only a problem after it's been recorded in to sequencer and is in playback. Does that still point to buffer problem? It's a little beyond my understanding :/

• @5pinlink said:
    Just out of interest, is this a live input effect or load audio in effect or both, if so does it do it with both ways ?

It's both I think. There's an fx au too. But I'm only using the instrument AU.

• Yeah its a strange one for sure if its only during playback, MIDI is a bit of a problem right now in Beatmaker, but like it or not it is still early days for developnent.

• edited March 2018

What I get is a little crackle/glitch on the attack of each note. As OP mentioned, this is only on playback of recorded MIDI. Playing with BM3 keyboard live sounds fine. None of my other AU instruments have done this. Some incompatibility between the 2 apps? Not likely just a BM3 issue since other AU’s have not shown this behavior. Overall BM3 has been working pretty well for me until this.

PS - I have notified the dev.

• Being a granularity buffer effect, is this only happening at the start of a midi patter note or somewhere inside the duration of a midi note?

• @mefisme said:
    Being a granularity buffer effect, is this only happening at the start of a midi patter note or somewhere inside the duration of a midi note?

At note on. Every time. But only on playback. Live playing it sounds as it should.

• Sounds like a multi trigger issue then, hopefully they will track it down.

• @mathieugarcia is this a BM3 issue or Tardigrain? I assumed it was something awry in BM3, because it works fine in Cubasis. But let me know if I also need to contact the Tardigrain dev, thanks!

• @anickt said:

@mefisme said:
    Being a granularity buffer effect, is this only happening at the start of a midi patter note or somewhere inside the duration of a midi note?

At note on. Every time. But only on playback. Live playing it sounds as it should.

Yup, sounds like exactly the same behavior I get here, thanks for confirming! Doesn't do this in Cubasis so I'm not sure where the problem is?

• @Heyez said:

@anickt said:

@mefisme said:

Yup, sounds like exactly the same behavior I get here, thanks for confirming! Doesn't do this in Cubasis so I'm not sure where the problem is?

I don't have cubasis but does it capture the midi as audio or just as midi? Other question. Has anyone tried this at note on but not at the beginning of pattern (quantize off)?

• @mefisme said:

@Heyez said:

@anickt said:

@mefisme said:

I don't have cubasis but does it capture the midi as audio or just as midi? Other question. Has anyone tried this at note on but not at the beginning of pattern (quantize off)?

Cubasis just midi and no probs.

Tried all quantize settings in BM3. It's unusable with this AU. Which sucks cos its one of the best AU instruments out there :(

• Cubasis just midi and no probs.

Tried all quantize settings in BM3. It's unusable with this AU. Which sucks cos its one of the best AU instruments out there :(

That means Beatmaker 3 might not be supporting buffer effects/plugins at the trigger level as @5pinlink said. Anyone have another buffer effect/plugin to try? Any granular synthesizer or audio damage's repeater (forgot what it was called)

• I don't think I have anything else like this AU I can test with. Anyone else got something?

• I have other granular AU (soundfruuze, idensity etc.) but nothing sequenceable chromatically.

• Also tested in Garageband quickly and seemed no problems there too.

• @5pinlink @mefisme here's something I keep getting that maybe also a symptom of same underlying BM3 issues? The sequencer doesn't record what is played.

This rushed video is with settings of quantize note ons only. Check out the playback of notes at end of the sequence after record it. Totally different to what I performed. Where did the weird long notes appear from when I only recorded quick stabs?!? I get this kind of inaccurate sequencer recording behavior way too often. This is with Ppg infinite but I get it across all synths etc. Never happens in other daws. Feels like the BM3 clock/midi guts need some serious attention..

• In the latest update to Tardigrain the dev (Erik Sigth) said he had fixed some buffer issues that were happening with Garageband.

It's possible (likely even) that he may be need to look at how it works when hosted in BM3.. unless the garageband fix already improves the issues you experienced above?

• edited March 2018

@Heyez said:

@5pinlink @mefisme here's something I keep getting that maybe also a symptom of same underlying BM3 issues? The sequencer doesn't record what is played.

This rushed video is with settings of quantize note ons only. Check out the playback of notes at end of the sequence after record it. Totally different to what I performed. Where did the weird long notes appear from when I only recorded quick stabs?!? I get this kind of inaccurate sequencer recording behavior way too often. This is with Ppg infinite but I get it across all synths etc. Never happens in other daws. Feels like the BM3 clock/midi guts need some serious attention..

That looks similar to the lost note offs and missing notes and shizzen timing of playing and recorded MIDI AU, Beatmaker MIDI is not ready for primetime at all, it seems to mostly work with the sampler OK, but everything else is kaput.

• edited March 2018

:( These things need addressing as priority imho. Tight midi and better functionality around audio clips in song view. Possibly the two most important elements of a daw. I can be patient forever for stuff like more modulation and slice to transient and all the other stuff I request on here now and again but these kind of midi problems make BM3 pretty much broken for me til it's sorted :(

• @tk32 said:
    In the latest update to Tardigrain the dev (Erik Sigth) said he had fixed some buffer issues that were happening with Garageband.

It's possible (likely even) that he may be need to look at how it works when hosted in BM3.. unless the garageband fix already improves the issues you experienced above?

The Garageband fix update didn't help :(

• edited March 2018

@Heyez said:
    :( These things need addressing as priority imho. Tight midi and better functionality around audio clips in song view. Possibly the two most important elements of a daw. I can be patient forever for stuff like more modulation and slice to transient and all the other stuff I request on here now and again but these kind of midi problems make BM3 pretty much broken for me til it's sorted :(

To be fair, i seen a screengrab the other day and one of your other huge pet peeves is making a big step forward, its near enough a one man show and Mathieu does try to get round to this stuff, but yeah its broken for me too :(

• Yeah man, I'm beyond impressed by the work that Mathieu has done and continues to. I'm glad that other people aren't finding problems as bad and there's a lot of happy customers outweighing critical posts like this one.

I'm in no rush really, I'm still sure that BM3 will be my main daw at some point in future. I'll just use something else until its fixed up. Was just saying that's probably my reality for a little while now. Spent quite a lot of dough on ios apps and just wanna use them for a while now without feeling like it's a struggle ;) I'll be back on BM3 again for sure tho.

• Oh trust me, i am considering buying AUM for working with MIDI AU until BM3 is ready, I do know where you are coming from ;)

• We will have a new bug reporting implementation in the next version allowing bugs to be reported/tracked properly. Just letting you all know.