LFO modulating GAIN? Or something else..

edited March 2018 in Support

Would this be able to emulate what repeats are doing so I can map this to a single encoder? A harsh enough gated effect to simulate a retrigger at whichever 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. I'm building a rather agressive synth for everyone and wanted a similar effect achieved bypassing the repeats (since they are global).

The only other way I could think of to simulate this is to use the velocity layer trick ,but because this is a multisampled instrument I would need to map out 6 samples (multiple sampled only C notes 0-5) to have 6 independent layers and set the loop brace accordingly for each tempo change (this thing isn't warped).

Tough concept. If anyone has any ideas for me to try it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Not if the repeat is a proper buffer repeat, a repeat repeats a slice of audio over and over, an LFO would be like a stutter effect.

The best way to do it is the original way to do it before the (IMHO) crap repeat effects appeared, make a perfect grid loop of parts of the sample and trigger them as needed, just like sample reverse sounds crap compared to reversing a sample and then re-editing the start, a well edited hard repeat sample will always sound better than a Repeat effect.

• @5pinlink said:
    Not if the repeat is a proper buffer repeat, a repeat repeats a slice of audio over and over, an LFO would be like a stutter effect.

The best way to do it is the original way to do it before the (IMHO) crap repeat effects appeared, make a perfect grid loop of parts of the sample and trigger them as needed, just like sample reverse sounds crap compared to reversing a sample and then re-editing the start, a well edited hard repeat sample will always sound better than a Repeat effect.

I had a feeling id have to possibly go with route two. The samples themselves don't have a strong transient, so stutter would partially work even though the whole sample is still being played. If I can get this instrument to do both, would be so cool. Thanks 5pin. Guess I'll try resampling the thing to get a locked grid so loops will work.

• If stutter is ok, you could try adding Rozeta LFO on a spare pad, and set it to rapidly modulate gain?

Not sure how effective it will be

• For stutter you have the step modulator in BM, it just doesn't have enough features, so goes out of sync with the clock, but if you are retriggering should be fine.

• @tk32 said:
    If stutter is ok, you could try adding Rozeta LFO on a spare pad, and set it to rapidly modulate gain?

Not sure how effective it will be

Would work except I’m going to post this as a community resource and not everyone has Roz. Appreciate the idea though. Was considering making the modwheel do this stutter effect. Right now this thing has tweaks galore. (aggression level, mutamento(portamento and choker), pitch squeal (pitch wheel tuning modulation adjustment), EQ/filter tweaks, etc. it’s definitely an interesting multisampled instrument. Default setting is legato, but does other interesting warps granular stuff in the higher keys. Sounds awesome in Roz bassline.

• So would something like this work or nah? I set a new lfo to modulate gain on this pad, then I set it to square wave, set it to sync, mapped the amount to a macro, set the macro min and max accordingly, and it works.

• @ronji said:
    So would something like this work or nah? I set a new lfo to modulate gain on this pad, then I set it to square wave, set it to sync, mapped the amount to a macro, set the macro min and max accordingly, and it works.

For stutter absolutely. But I’m not sure how retriggering will work with this instrument and that being manipulated at the same time. Because the square gates it, but just a tad to harshly. Unless I create a second LFO slightly off sync. Hmm. Hadn’t thought aboutever trying that. Wonder what that would do. Having a square and one with less harshness so it sort of acts like an attack adjustment. Unless I use a small attack amount of attack as well on an lfo. Thanks for the vid. Lots of stuff to try.

• Yeah, I wish there were settings to adjust the roundness of the square or squareness of the sine inside the built in LFO tool!

• edited March 2018

@ronji said:
    Yeah, I wish there were settings to adjust the roundness of the square or squareness of the sine inside the built in LFO tool!

A second one might do the trick I'm looking for. On another note though. I've just reached the point where maybe I should just stop doing this anyways. There are way too many touch bugs with the entire panel section to the left of performance view. Regardless of view, it triggers notes in the pad section. Driving me batty.

I need to do a video showcasing this horrid bug for sure. Trigger section, rolls, wheels, chords, scales. All these sections all trigger notes I’m not touching. It’s been there since forever. Makes these controls useless in my opinion.

• @mefisme that bad? Seems to work ok on my side, only in chords mode triggered notes seem to be a bit unpredictable, but still fit in the chord.