Inputting audio via iPad mic input issue

I know it's not a preferred method of doing it and I'm not looking for anything hifi but I just purchased one of those splitter cables that allow for a separate mic in and headphone out to monitor.

I just wanted something for the road to get ideas down and later work on them at home with better equipment.

The annoying thing is when I record in from a small keyboard I get this short burst of white noise behind the keyboard audio and it goes away. Like a 2 second burst. I thought it might be Apple's AGC but it doesn't seem to happen with any other app that allows audio recording.

Is there a setting somewhere in BM3 that I need to change for this to go away?

Comments

• Are you plugging the audio from an external keyboard in to the microphone input of a splitter cable ?
    First off there is an impedance mismatch there, you are plugging line level in to mic level, its gonna distort.
    But it should be just distorted, not giving bursts of white noise.
    Try measurement mode in preferences, see if that helps at all

• @5pinlink said:
    Are you plugging the audio from an external keyboard in to the microphone input of a splitter cable ?
    First off there is an impedance mismatch there, you are plugging line level in to mic level, its gonna distort.
    But it should be just distorted, not giving bursts of white noise.
    Try measurement mode in preferences, see if that helps at all

I'll check that out tonight. I can hear a noise floor issue, and I'm sure that's the impedance mismatch. It's not terrible, just sounds a bit gritty and old school lol. I can also hear the AGV kick in if the volume is too loud on the keyboard, that's not a big deal either. The volume on the keyboard has to be cranked for it to do that.

This is actually like a short burst of white noise like the kind you'd find on an analog synth. I happens right after BM3 receives a note from the audio input if the volume is barely up and will last for a approx 2 seconds even if you hold the note at the same volume for say a minute.

• I tried measurement mode on/off last night and it didn't change anything. Weird that it only does this in BM3. Oh well I thought it could be convenient not having to pack an audio interface I guess I just struck out with this.

• edited March 2018

I would suggest you do not use that adapter. It sounds like it could damage something. What other apps are you using with this? There are more points to address with this. It is not just BM3, but the way the iPad reroutes these audio signals and changes the conversion process from analog to digital. And as 5pin said, you are already dealing with an impedence mismatch.