Slicing samples & recording them

Man, this is really kicking my ass. All I want to accomplish is to slice up a long sample into sections of say 4 bars or so. Then I want to record those individually into a song so they are each one pattern. I have tried this many different ways, none of them resulting in what I want.
What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks.

Comments

• Load the one long sample onto a pad, turn on slice mode at the top right of the sampler view sampler page, add your slice markers, then either leave them that way to play the slices with a keyboard or tap the save button to save the slices to pads. There can be a bit more to it depending on what you wanna do, so experiment and come back with additional questoins or check out some videos on “slicing samples in beatmaker 3” on Youtube =)

Or you could load the long sample onto an audio track, then use the scissors tool to cut the sample into chunks, and now each of those is a pattern you can move around or repeat like other patterns.

• If you are trying to use slice to grid set to 4 bars, make sure your original audio file starts on a down beat ;)

• It seems adding the audio file to an audio track and using the scissor tool was the easiest in my case. But, when editing a section I don’t the the fade in or out tool to eliminate pops. Also, the new sample patterns seem to default to 120bpm. It doesn’t affect playback so that might not be a big deal?

• @antkn33 said:
    It seems adding the audio file to an audio track and using the scissor tool was the easiest in my case. But, when editing a section I don’t the the fade in or out tool to eliminate pops. Also, the new sample patterns seem to default to 120bpm. It doesn’t affect playback so that might not be a big deal?

Yeah, that's a downside to using the audio tracks, you don't get the fade options there. Maybe someday fade in and out will be added to audio clips, but for now I only see them in slice mode for pads. The best workaround for you right now is to go edit the audio clip, turn on select mode at bottom left, select a tiny amount of the beginning, tap process > fade in, and then select a tiny amount of the end, then tap process > fade out. This is destructive, though, and a copy of the audio file you're editing will be made automatically. Audio clip editing is also finicky, so if you're using the select tool, remember that a single finger tap and drag will make a new selection, and if you want to pan left and right and not ruin your selection you need to use two fingers. I also find that when I try to drag the selection handles, I often miss and draw a new selection, which is super frustrating, and you should go back and zoom out to start your selection over after toggling select mode off and back on. Careful you don't drag the clip start and end handles, or you'll need to use the undo button.

As far as I know, the bpm shouldn't affect you at all unless you're using live stretch, which will stretch the audio to the song bpm.