Scenes

2»

Comments

• You are a gentleman and always THE scholar @dubbylabby :)

• Hopefully we can at least all agree that 'duplicate vs repeat' should be the same functions in Scenes as it is in Song? And have a 'per cell'(pattern) option, not only the entire column. Unless I'm missing something?

Surprised none of the hardcore BM3 scenes users even commented on that part of my post/feature request?

• What do you mean per cell pattern option ?
    If you tap a cell with a pattern in it, it plays on its own, not the whole column.....
    Going to go and check that now, that is how it always used to work, maybe its broke since you have been tested, will test now lol.

• edited March 2018

Really hope Scenes environment sees some dev love soon. Can't think of anything on ios that compares to desktop for this. Would be a big USP for BM3 to get some more sales :) Would totally kill Auria and Cubasis in that area. Needs a fair bit of work tho from my POV -

Fluid workflow to record midi/audio straight to scene cell. With automatic clip length after 'stop'.
    Warp markers (seeing as BM3 uses Elastique am I right in thinking that theoretically this should be able to work at least as well as in Reaper?).
    Bounce/freeze in place.
    Fast copy/paste cell (with new cell being unique, not just another instance of the original).
    Some kind of 'select' button so can navigate to pattern edit without triggering the clip.
    Record performance to Song timeline.
    Adjustable clip start/end area/loop points (this might already be possible)

• @5pinlink said:
    What do you mean per cell pattern option ?
    If you tap a cell with a pattern in it, it plays on its own, not the whole column.....
    Going to go and check that now, that is how it always used to work, maybe its broke since you have been tested, will test now lol.

I mean i can't duplicate/repeat a clip, only the entire column..

And duplicate just repeats the instance. Whereas in Song view 'duplicate' makes unique new copy... Just a bit messy in terms of function naming not matching across views. Could all be just user error tho. I'll check it out again at some point..

• Yep still works the same way, you can drag individual patterns/ audio from the pattern helper to banks or audio tracks respectively, or you can drag straight from the browser in to cells too, then each cell can be triggered individually, not by MIDI though, just touchscreen, to be fair, MIDI and trigger modes and recording to arranger and scenes is a good enough clip launcher for me, the pad view clip launcher idea is better, but MIDI and trigger options is easier to develop.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yep still works the same way, you can drag individual patterns/ audio from the pattern helper to banks or audio tracks respectively, or you can drag straight from the browser in to cells too, then each cell can be triggered individually, not by MIDI though, just touchscreen, to be fair, MIDI and trigger modes and recording to arranger and scenes is a good enough clip launcher for me, the pad view clip launcher idea is better, but MIDI and trigger options is easier to develop.

But how do I duplicate a pattern from one cell to another and then edit the new cell without it altering the original copy?

INTUA don't need to reinvent the wheel with scenes view imo. Just copy what's successful elsewhere....

• edited March 2018

@Heyez
    There is no way to select a clip, if you touch a clip it is playing not selecting the clip, it is selecting the column/scene the clip is in, and when you duplicate it is creating a unique column/scene even though it contains an instance of said clip or clips (When you duplicate the column/scene, you can put whatever clips you like in this new column, the original version wont change to match it, so it is a duplicate not a repeat) so the naming is actually correct, it just isn't working how you would expect/like.
    I think it is an FR rather than BR/Naming issue.

• Yeah needs sorting.... Shift button or something to select clip... Something equivalent to right-click in ableton.

Surprised anyone can work in BM3 scenes tbh unless it's just launching loops or whatever. As a creative arena it's a no go zone atm.... Just my opinion etc etc..

• On that note, a Repeat button for columns/scenes would seem like a good thing too ?
    Also note, if you want to duplicate a clip you can, you just long press it, three dots and duplicate.
    I think the confusion here is just about tool location, the tools along the bottom are just for columns/scenes as selected, long press on a clip gives you your tools for clips.

• edited March 2018

Sweet, thanks! That's what I was looking for :)

Weirdly when you duplicate a pattern in a clip it actually does the same thing as we've been feature requesting in Song view as 'make unique'. Glad it's there but dang... BM3 rivals octatrack in terms of being haywire/lots of different workflow methods to figure out and remember....

All I'd really like for these kind of workflow actions is standard copy/cut/paste :) like having the Ctrl key on a computer keyboard and being able to drag to copy etc.... So quick and easy! no menus and different ways of doing stuff in every view etc..

This'll be ok for that particular repeat/duplicate issue I had tho, thanks!

• edited March 2018

On a positive, its mind blowing where BM3 is headed.. When everything is in place it'll be kind of like -

Pads view + sampler = MPC live
    Scenes view = Ableton clips view
    Song view = Protools/Reaper etc

And the deeper modulation/global macros and other cool rumoured stuff taking it vaguely toward Elektron zones.

All wired in to one. And mac/pc on its way too... Going to be a pretty insane environment and incredible for flipping projects between studio and portable.... Super ambitious for such a small dev team, massive respect to intua for their long term vision in BM3.

When I make requests and shit I never mean to sound like 'I want this and I want it now!'... I've got other tools to work with for now and just happy to be along for the ride til BM3 gets closer to where its headed.

• Yeah its pretty amazing going forward, it does have its rough edges that right now make it look like a complete hodge podge in some areas, but when you start looking at it in the long term as tweaks and fixes, it is going to be a very cool system.
    I cant get rid of Maschine for sample design yet, just for one feature and i cant get rid of Maschine for Mashups yet because of one feature, but for most everything else in composition BM has taken over.
    For mix work it struggles to compete with Reaper, it has no real item editing in the arranger or advanced routing yet.
    And right now it cant compete with the main clip triggering apps, but like i say MIDI and triggering options and even they will be uninstalled too though.

The fact we are even putting it in comparison with Ableton Live/Reaper/Maschine/Launchpad is a mind blowing really, and for me shows how it is light years ahead of anything else on IOS, non of the other apps could even come close to competing on the desktop.

Although like it or not, if they want to succeed on the desktop, the name Beatmaker has to evolve in to something else like the software has, its a terrible name for such a powerful app.

• edited March 2018

Totally agree on the need for a name change at some point in the future.

Don't want to upset anybody – and I understand there is 10 years of heritage here – but an app with this level of sophistication and professionalism needs a name to match.

'Beatmaker' just sounds like a toy

• @5pinlink said:
    You are a gentleman and always THE scholar @dubbylabby :)

I try to do my best.

@Heyez don’t worry anymore about POV it’s clear and the discussion gone towards constructive wishlist and improvements. BM3 has that step up learning curve and I find myself learning again after discouraging earlier versions. ATM I still not setted up my midi controllers with it, just dabbling with song mode sample import and sample page editor paths to find my own and I find it straightforward for the first time...
    with bpm set properly across the different places (it’s a bit redundant I know) it works as expected. Also it’s possible to avoid internal folder tool and dragndrop from files so I’m considering export from blocs into AudioShare, organize&tweak and finally load it into song/sampler... about scenes themselves I still not tried them deeply (I’ve done my homework at Blocs first so there is no need for a while) but I want to see if I can success with footpedal control and so.

About the name... mmmm I expect Ableton will buy Intua and rebrand the line as Abeaton lifemaker. If not maybe Intuableton seems right for me. :lol:

Names are just a logo. Look at the others... Cubase? Logic? Maschine? Cakewalk Sonar? Reaper? Ableton?
    These are all weird af but we are familiar with them, nothing else. Even BM Studio or BM mobile could be simple rebranding as Fruity Loops done back in the day...

• edited March 2018

[Edit: I put my comment in the right thread]

• I just sessioned the scenes mode in BM3. They should have called it something different, everyone is comparing it to Ableton but it actually works the exact same way as blocks in Reason. If you look at it like that it works a treat, it’s nothing like Ableton at all!