[Solved!} Noise Gate Solution for BM3

edited March 2018 in General

I am looking for a similar tool to use in BM3 that you see pictured above in Cubasis. I suspect that their isn't one native to BM3. I have a noisey fuzz pedal that I like to threshold a gate so that it is dead silent when I am not plucking the strings on my guitar...Is there an AUv3 out there anyone would recommend, or is there a way to achieve this in BM3 that I have missed?

Comments

• Last time I needed a noise gate like thing I used fac transient (because I have it). Not sure it would fit your purpouse, though...

• Sometimes you can just about fake it by putting the dynamics effect in expander mode, but yeah.. I'd love a noise gate too :)

• BRUSFRI is your friend here.

https://klevgrand.se/products/brusfri/

Put it on the track where you record audio, create a noise-profile and boom...

• @samu saves my day again! Happy Easter weekend!

• edited March 2018

$21 CAN :(

Here goes...

@samu worth every cent. I loaded it up pushed the ear button and the feedback vanished and the sustain from the fuzz trailed out perfectly. Thank goodness for the Swedes

• That looks interesting, though it’s not a noise gate as such if I read it correctly. Does it affect your original sound at all in a bad way?

• Its nothing at all likeca gate, its just for noise removal, keep that in mind, gates have way way more uses than just blocking noise ;)

• +1 missing a noise gate AUv3 (much as I love BrusFri)

• @starpause I have a fuzz pedal I built and it is fed by a small guitar l designed that has an acoustic pickup. So the hum, crackle and whiz droning on in the background before you even hit a note is a real problem if you want to record a track. I wanted a gate like the one in Cubasis as pictured above but there isn’t one in BM3. One issue l find with using the noise gate though is it kills the sustain on the guitar tones because it is triggered by a threshold and release. What l think is really worthwhile about BrusFri is it allows me retain the drawn out notes, which was the original point of making the fuzz pedal in the first place.

• edited April 2018

Brusfri is a type of gate that uses Multi gates that are statically closed and open. It analyzes and then keeps the door shut on those sounds rather being able to open and close allowing sounds to tail out correctly. It also has some other strange uses on the spectrum if you know where to look in your samples and what your trying to achieve. You can multi-gate very small parts even with multiples of the auv3 creating a very different sound. It’s one of my favorite plugins. It will be much more useful in the next version of BM3 if all goes well but probably only for harsh effects.

• edited April 2018

I have to be honest, that sounds like utter nonsense (I know you're quoting what it says on their site, so that isnt pointed at you)
    If it is using gates and trying to reduce noise and it has the controls of a gate, why exactly is it creating a noise profile ?
    A noise profile isnt needed for a gate, it is controlled by the threshold/Attack/Decay controls.
    Once again we have to take (dont get me wrong, absolutely amazing developers, indeed one of my favourites for years) Klevgrands advertising text with a very very biiiig pinch of salt.

• @5pinlink said:
    I have to be honest, that sounds like utter nonsense (I know you're quoting what it says on their site, so that isnt pointed at you)
    If it is using gates and trying to reduce noise and it has the controls of a gate, why exactly is it creating a noise profile ?
    A noise profile isnt needed for a gate, it is controlled by the threshold/Attack/Decay controls.
    Once again we have to take (dont get me wrong, absolutely amazing developers, indeed one of my favourites for years) Klevgrands advertising text with a very very biiiig pinch of salt.

I don’t know at all what their website says. I just typed that from my head thinking of the possible logic behind it (how it seems to work). Does it really say that on the website? If so, another weird moment for me. I literally haven’t read it, but will now after your comment. I would assume the profile it creates is always fluctuating these multigates on and off as the sound plays and the word ‘profile’ is being used for lack of a better word. Maybe? I’m not sure. We need interview. Lol.

• But if its using a sound profile, there is no need for Threshold/Attack/Decay controls.
    Like i said, Klevgrand you always grab the salt, they make great stuff, but they dont half talk some utter xxxx along the way.

• edited April 2018

And the only reason I say it’s multigating is when you don’t follow the tutorial or hold Learn. Instead a short quick press shows it can even de-ess any noise, radio effect, or even phatten and make drums do interesting stuff. It just doesn’t have selection of the gates. I think the ear might be the secret. When you let go it shows length of profile. Using it multiple times just does interesting things. Idk how this stuff works, I learn by using. In the end, if I find something cool I just be happy with my results.

• I just assumed it was a denoiser because it uses a profile, if it uses a profile then it is doing some spectrum analysis that no gate would ever do or need, especially if it already provided the controls it does, so i think it is safe to assume it may be using gates on the 'non audio' portion of a recording, but it is using filtering of some kind on the 'audio' portion of the recording, based on the profile you create.

• @5pinlink A gate is a metaphoric use of a logic function that can be achieved by an inexhaustable collection of conditionals. You seem a bit heavy handed in your approach, as though you haven't read Frege, Husserl, and, principally, Meinong -- but who has?

When you start to dig into logic, other than the prerequisite courses that computer science and math students have to take, things start to get very washy. Speculative materialism is definitely worth rooting around in. But that isn't a road that everyone ought to know about, it is a rather delicate subject teetering on the edge creative philosophy.

..."if it uses a profile then it is doing some spectrum analysis that no gate would ever do or need.."

That is a claim, it is itself a 'gate'. Why can't a logical gate be triggered by the output of a specrtum analysis?

• Dropping my IPad in tub filled with water would also prove quite effective, I’m sure. It might not be the kind of gate I’m looking for, though 😉

• @futureaztec said:
    @5pinlink A gate is a metaphoric use of a logic function that can be achieved by an inexhaustable collection of conditionals. You seem a bit heavy handed in your approach, as though you haven't read Frege, Husserl, and, principally, Meinong -- but who has?

When you start to dig into logic, other than the prerequisite courses that computer science and math students have to take, things start to get very washy. Speculative materialism is definitely worth rooting around in. But that isn't a road that everyone ought to know about, it is a rather delicate subject teetering on the edge creative philosophy.

..."if it uses a profile then it is doing some spectrum analysis that no gate would ever do or need.."

That is a claim, it is itself a 'gate'. Why can't a logical gate be triggered by the output of a specrtum analysis?

Hahaha, a gate is a studio effect that has been used for years in studios, you may wish to change what a gate is by pandering lots of words, i will stick to what a gate was is and will be lol.

• @5pinlink my point is that "studio gates" are types of gates that have specific applications. With certain results in mind one can achieve desired outcomes by using other kinds of gates. These "studio gates" are strategies to meet certain needs, but those needs can be met by various other strategies, which include alternative gate functions.

A gate is actually a door that opens to a garden, walkway, etc... The use of the term that you are referring to is a borrowed metaphor. But if we look into how the term is being used in the concept "studio gate" you will find that there is less limitation involved when you observe how studio gates are built -- namely, through the use of circuits. A useful concept to investigate here would be a logic gate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate

Since logic is a foundation for meaning implementation in circuits and programming, Eurorack style gates and modular software can both be used in the alternative ways I'm suggesting. I am not going to go into it any further because my sense is that most people reading this know what I am talking about...

• edited April 2018

Unfortunately i am dumb as dog poop and have no idea what you are talking about, luckily i dont actually want to, i know what an audio gate is and does, i know what gates are when they are requested in BM3, and i am pretty sure i have used them well for the last thirty years and not needed any of your fancy words, which i am admitedly too stupid to understand ;)

I also know what noise reduction based on spectral analysis of a noise profile is when i see it, and it isnt an audio gate, no matter what words are used to try and make it so.

• New favourite thread...

• It seems @futureaztec is determined to prove that a psychologism has occurred in our hitherto disccusion about gates, and proceed to dazzle to us with his philosophical references to Frege and Husserl.

Unfortunately for him, this obfuscation has not proven anything useful about Brüsfri or noise gates in general, which are a simple tool that block/allow a signal based on a configurable threshold and envelope. Nothing more; nothing less.

BM3 does not have a gate, and there are none in AUv3 format yet. Even messrs Frege and Husserl would agree with this statement.

The closest thing available is AUFX: Push, but this sadly remains IAA only.

• edited April 2018

@tk32 In my seminar on advanced theory of perception the prof tried to ram the psychologism line down out throats too. If you swallow that nonsense you come to think that Frege's dismissal of Husserl's work was justified, even through Frege himself recanted his position in writing. The reason that matters is because too many people think that their elementary formal logic class is the centrepiece of all logics. When, in fact, it tends to create a bunch of docile, self-satifisfied goofs who don't really grasp the deeper nuances of how understanding functions. But, in many ways this is a good thing, because I would prefer that the keys to AI remain out of the hands of pretty much everyone.

Without a logic gate, you cannot have a computer. But you don't need a "studio gate" to feed spectrum analysis to any number of other gates. Gates are just switches.

But, then, what of we look at the positive import of this line of thinking. What I really like about Eurorack, Reaktor Blocks, Audulus 3, etc. is that you are using a vast number of logical gate functions to produce sonically intriguing results. It is fashionable to name these gates after logicians.

However, if it is true that there are alternative logics, then couldn't some of the cutting edge work being done in modular synthesis be focused on implementing these alternatives by creating novel modules?

Clearly this thread has morphed away from the original subject, but I do appreciate @5pinlink for getting my blood flowing, as I am now sifting back through object oriented ontology and looking to connect some of these ideas to sound synthesis, which I have not properly taken the time to do given all of the knowledge I have acquired about it since I was last working on this stuff.

• Thanks, Stewie.

• edited April 2018

@futureaztec :
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to hear about all the knowledge you've acquired on this matter.

Personally, however, I was thinking more that this thread had descended into intelligence-signalling autoerotic onenism.

• Is this the Beatmaker forum ?
    Think i took a wrong turn somewhere.

• edited April 2018

The information actualized here by @futureaztec is very value-able if explored (obviously do not have to as well). Personally, I am grateful to see anyone bring more information however it arrives. If anything, I was maybe simplifying some of these same concepts put forth but less eliquent, formal, and structured. I enjoy learning/using tools by manual AND no manual. When a new knowledge arrives and there it is above, I store it. This is value.

A process of elimination of my own bias/expectations is what I've been exercising lately. If I think I am supposed to use a tool based on what it perceived to do, then I will attempt to use said tool as intended. The other side is if I am not experimenting/imagining and exploring the potential logical possibilities behind anything, then I am no longer able to create something abstract and unique out of my own guesswork. It simply helps the creative practice (at least it does me). It is how I might be able to make more interesting musical journeys or other discoveries in life. Especially when I will be in the moment of a work needing completion.

For some, you might need to be at your own level. Withyour own likes/dislikes/information because it works for you. All fine and all good! Seriously.

But...

There isn't any argument here. There isn't any dumb or smart person. A simple thanks is exactly what is needed (at least by me because I needed this)....so.

Thanks @futureaztec !

And thanks everyone else here in this thread or other threads. This is why forums exist.

• Sorry, but the thread was about noise gates, im not thanking anybody for talking utter junk for self importance, do i have posh words, no, did i have any kind of formal education, no, do i know what a noise gate is, yes, you better damn well believe it and dont try and use theories of perception and other nonsense to change what is and always has been used in studios for the last 30+ years.

Whats next, we dont need clip launching in Bm because it is all a matter of perception and everything that happens inside a computer is based on the mathematical interplay of associated events and......oh shut up, we need a clip launcher.

While i dont care if anybody goes after me (everybody here knows this) if this nonsense technique is used to try and bring down any other users comments, I WILL be having a word and we WILL see heavy handed !!!
    Now have at it and call me whatever you like, like i said i dont mind, but it very much better stick to me and this thread ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Sorry, but the thread was about noise gates, im not thanking anybody for talking utter junk for self importance, do i have posh words, no, did i have any kind of formal education, no, do i know what a noise gate is, yes, you better damn well believe it and dont try and use theories of perception and other nonsense to change what is and always has been used in studios for the last 30+ years.

Whats next, we dont need clip launching in Bm because it is all a matter of perception and everything that happens inside a computer is based on the mathematical interplay of associated events and......oh shut up, we need a clip launcher.

While i dont care if anybody goes after me (everybody here knows this) if this nonsense technique is used to try and bring down any other users comments, I WILL be having a word and we WILL see heavy handed !!!
    Now have at it and call me whatever you like, like i said i dont mind, but it very much better stick to me and this thread ;)

I am going to hope this isn't targeting anyone or me for the matter. I have always showed kindness here to you and anyone. It wouldn't make any sense to target someome. A clip launcher as you have said? I don't understand what this means in reference to Gates. Why would anyone try to use an argument with logic that tries to remove what's already semi-present (scenes that can be launched) what clip launcher we're you describing we needed in BM3? Do you mean more finer control over the launching of the scenes? This I absolutely agree with. And we need a thread for that. You should make one.

If your comment was directed at me or another since it did not include an (@) handler I have no idea how to distinguish who you view a threat. I would be too if they specifically targeted you. But I'm going to have to read to see if anyone targeted you. It would be unfair if so.

Brusfri's uses when you and I were having conversations about it was not meant to cause an uproar. Yes, it is a noise gate. If you would like people to kill the app dig and destroy mystery, curiousity and keep it a noise gate then it forever stays a noise gate and nobody explores any companies apps further.

So here is an alternative look of how I perceive some comments you make sometimes:

Thats all Brusfri's good for. Just another noise removal tool. Plain Jane. Just another company lying and salting their marketing about a product. Boring, use the tool, don't use the tool. I don't care Move on. It does this, it does that. And that's it. Boring AUv3. Nobody buy it or someone buy it if you want. I won't, It sucks. It's crap. There are better ones. Do what I say.

What's above is I believe how you would like me and maybe even others to be. Closed until we are open again. So be it. Next rotation of my comments will be narcissistic at every level. To show you what your educating...Poor attitude.

If you did target me, you misinterpreted me. We are on the same side here. Not forcing a hand or changing anything's definition or most efficient use....just all exploring things differently.

Really hurt my feelings with this one, educator. Thanks.