Why does my Midi keyboard play on all tracks at once and how can I route 2 devices?

edited March 2018 in Support

I am used to Ableton and Cubasis where when you arm a track and it's the only midi track armed, the unarmed tracks don't play. When I have a MIDI track playing and I want to jam on a new track, the keyboard controls the other tracks. How do I set things up so that I can choose which midi track I want to play at a time?

Comments

• To put it another way: You lay down your drums on a track, then you play some background synth on another one. But when you go to play some leads on the third track, the midi keyboard triggers notes on both the background and the lead track. What gives?

• edited March 2018

Beatmaker 3 currently assigns things at default by midi devices single channel capabilities. If your controller (assuming you are using a controller) does not have editable options or multiple midi channel capabilities, I believe you would have to use MIDI OMNI MODE set to ON. Unless I have mistaken your question.

• @mefisme I am using a CME Xkey (synth) and a KM Boppad (playable midi Drum interface). So I need to have these assigned on separate tracks and be able to arm one track out of multiple tracks for each at a time.

1= kick drum 2=hats and snare 3=AUv3 FM drum synth |||| 4=strings 5=brass etc...

In Ableton I would typically setup a midi controller for each track and then just arm what I want to hear and disarm what I don't.

It doesn't matter to me which way I set it up, so long as I don't play multiple tracks at once.

• @mefisme I think I got it! I read the appendix in the manual and it had to do with the OMNI setting getting turned on...As you suggested. Since I routed focus actions to the BopPad, it is working properly to trigger the bank pads, but then I am also able to used the BopPad to trigger synth AUv3's.

So far so good. Thanks.

• @futureaztec said:
    @mefisme I think I got it! I read the appendix in the manual and it had to do with the OMNI setting getting turned on...As you suggested. Since I routed focus actions to the BopPad, it is working properly to trigger the bank pads, but then I am also able to used the BopPad to trigger synth AUv3's.

So far so good. Thanks.

You are welcome. Glad you figured it out!

• So if I’m reading this correct, if I only have one controller I can’t use it for two different banks? I would like to be able to use it for all banks exclusively, i.e. it would only play on the selected bank, but it seems it will either play on all banks selected pads (Omni) or everything at once.

• edited April 2018

Omni on means it will play the currently selected pad, so when you select a pad all external MIDI will be sent to that pad.

If you just wish to trigger a kit across pads you use focus actions and assign keys to pads, focus actions trigger whatever is in focus (in view, selected etc)

So using a combination of both (this is why omni should be a button on the main UI) you can do exactly what you want.

Assign focus actions for pads, now your MIDI controller will always play the kit that is in focus, press omni if you want a pad to become foccused (synths, keys etc)

It would actually he a stupidly powerful set up if it had two things, first the afore mentioned omni button on the UI (going in to settings everytime is madness) and the ability to have a particular MIDI input for omni, this would open up the controller support massively.

• It would be cool if you could toggle OMNI mode via a midi controller binding.

Eg. use one of the spare buttons on my keyboard to toggle it on/off

• Yeah that too for sure, with something like one of those Alesis Vl jobs, you would have one seriously slick set up !!!!