Any kind of music?

edited March 2009 in General
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am thinking about buying beatmaker. I just would like to know if it is possible to make any kind of music? I am doing a doctorate in music performance and I like ,of course, classical and folkloric music. I was thinking about Aymara music from Peru with the flutes drums and guitars.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited 6:12AM
    Nobody?
    Well first off, that's a really broad/general question. Beatmaker is a sequencer/sampler so what you put in is what you get out. Everybody has a different mindset of how it can and should be used. Why ask a question that will only limit your creativity? Personally, I say go for whatever you have an idea for. If it doesn't work out you might be pleasantly surprised by the result. And if not chalk it up as experience and move on to the next project.
    If your question is related to the in-built samples, then no, you wouldn't be able to do that AFAIK I haven't encountered any packs similar to you describe.

However you can transfer whatever samples you like to use with BM, so you can do whatever you like.
    well, as an instrumentist, I must say that beatmaker is not on the "theorical" side of music, it's pretty much the same as an akai MPC machine. So it's a sampler with pads to trigger the samples, you have some editing tools to tweak your samples.

so basically it's an empty box, whatever goes in it, goes out of it. You can not "compose" as you load a piano sample and then you can "play" different notes, it's more oriented to musics that use sample as a base component, hip hop definately, but also electronic music, mostly.

I took the step to go from instrument to sampler (still playing my instruments tho) basically because I thought that sampling music was for non-musicians and that I could kill any worldclass beatmaker with my "uber" instrumentalist skillz...

and I must say that it definately got into me, into my music, I learn 10x more about *music* doing sampling than whatever I learned before practicing my instruments. And now it's a part of my music.

so a sampler IS an instrument, beatmaker for iphone IS a music instrument, definately. So you can use it as a music instrument and do whatever music you want. Simply understand that it's rarely used in classical or folkloric music but if you feel like trying it out for that, go ahead, it will surely be interresting.

let us know how it turns out
    well, as an instrumentist, I must say that beatmaker is not on the "theorical" side of music, it's pretty much the same as an akai MPC machine. So it's a sampler with pads to trigger the samples, you have some editing tools to tweak your samples.

so basically it's an empty box, whatever goes in it, goes out of it. You can not "compose" as you load a piano sample and then you can "play" different notes, it's more oriented to musics that use sample as a base component, hip hop definately, but also electronic music, mostly.

I took the step to go from instrument to sampler (still playing my instruments tho) basically because I thought that sampling music was for non-musicians and that I could kill any worldclass beatmaker with my "uber" instrumentalist skillz...

and I must say that it definately got into me, into my music, I learn 10x more about *music* doing sampling than whatever I learned before practicing my instruments. And now it's a part of my music.

so a sampler IS an instrument, beatmaker for iphone IS a music instrument, definately. So you can use it as a music instrument and do whatever music you want. Simply understand that it's rarely used in classical or folkloric music but if you feel like trying it out for that, go ahead, it will surely be interresting.

let us know how it turns out

When I saw beatmaker, I instantly thought of the possibilities to do contemporary classical music, specially minimalist and textural. I was thinking to do something like
    Shaker loops by John Adams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLwfDoaCsw

I have done about 180 loops for classical. Now, I have to find the time to actually start doing something interesting in beatmaker. I'll post some examples as soon as I fell more comfortable with it.

Another question, is it possible to use two sets of pads to do one single piece? I haven't figured out how to do that. I would like to have more than 16 loops to do a single piece.

Thanks!