Before I jump into the pool...

Hey everyone... I'm wondering if someone can tell me if BM3 is the right tool to do what I'm looking to do before I dump a bunch of time trying to figure it out:

Essentially I'm looking to use BM3 as a super-dooper LaunchPad with complete control over EQ, FX, etc. and not be locked into LP's workflow/process.

So here's the workflow I have in mind:

1) Create drum loops in SeekBeats (i.e. create a groove, use SB export feature to record a 4 beat loop @ say 132bpm)
2) Open this loop in BM3 (via audioshare, etc.) and assign to a "pad"
3) Route that pad to mixer so I can use FX, EQ, mixing
4) Turn the loop on/off by hitting pad

I know from watching a lot of videos etc. that BM does WAYYY more than this in terms of sequencing, etc. but I'm really just looking for a live loop triggering environment. I like what I see in BM in terms of the way the mixer is setup, etc. but so far I'm not seeing how to assign a sample to a pad and have it trigger loop on off.. All I see are tutorials where you assign a single drum hit to a pad for example then sequence it, etc.

My initial stump is I can't seem to figure out how to "latch" a pad...

Comments

• edited April 2018

Latch works but not with pads, if you are happy to trigger your loops with the touchscreen then you are fine, currently it can't be done being triggered via MIDI hardware.

1 Create an audiotrack
    2 Open scene view
    3 Drag a loop from the browser to the first cell of the audio track
    4 Touch it to play/loop, Touch it again to stop.

• Wondering if launch mode Hold + loop mode Forward would work? Can the launchpad be set to latch its own pads?

• Not as far as i know, but mine was a mk1

• @5pinlink said:
    Latch works but not with pads, if you are happy to trigger your loops with the touchscreen then you are fine, currently it can't be done being triggered via MIDI hardware.

1 Create an audiotrack
    2 Open scene view

After doing this you can then trigger all of your scenes individually via the pads ala launch pad style

• For the OP purposes LooptunesHD seems the right tool.

• I’m not sure why I assumed the OP has an actual Launchpad, as I don’t see any real indication of that. My bad. Anyway, if there’s no midi hardware involved then that makes this a little simpler, I think. Scenes mode should work, but so far I can’t see any way to make a pattern stop by tapping it a second time. It seems tapping a pattern in scene mode (a cell) will just start that pattern at the scene sync setting, and tapping it again will just retrigger it at the scene sync. Only way I can see to stop a pattern is to tap an empty cell for that track or use the track stop button at far right. Not sure that’s a deal breaker, though. After playing around with scene mode a bit I feel like I understand it more and could use it in a performance style with patterns/clips set in the different cells. I’m still not as familiar with the scene mode in the performance (pads) view, though.

• edited April 2018

@groovey said:

@5pinlink said:

1 Create an audiotrack
    2 Open scene view

After doing this you can then trigger all of your scenes individually via the pads ala launch pad style

No you cant trigger scenes in pad view, just switch them, triggering in launchpad style apps works like triggering samples.

@ronji said:
    I’m not sure why I assumed the OP has an actual Launchpad, as I don’t see any real indication of that. My bad. Anyway, if there’s no midi hardware involved then that makes this a little simpler, I think. Scenes mode should work, but so far I can’t see any way to make a pattern stop by tapping it a second time. It seems tapping a pattern in scene mode (a cell) will just start that pattern at the scene sync setting, and tapping it again will just retrigger it at the scene sync. Only way I can see to stop a pattern is to tap an empty cell for that track or use the track stop button at far right. Not sure that’s a deal breaker, though. After playing around with scene mode a bit I feel like I understand it more and could use it in a performance style with patterns/clips set in the different cells. I’m still not as familiar with the scene mode in the performance (pads) view, though.

Yes my mistake, when i said tap again to stop, i meant the stop button for that row of cells.

• edited April 2018

Yeah, it seems like in pads view scene mode just lets you trigger play a full scene, and also copy/paste/delete full scenes, but it’s weird cuz you can’t copy paste and delete without triggering playing full scenes as you do it. I don’t see a lot of use for the scenes mode in pads view. Scenes mode in song view is where it’s at.

Edit: I guess I meant play, or start, not trigger. =)

• edited April 2018

It doesnt let you 'Trigger' a full scene either really, that would imply start stop capability and latch or non latch capability ala Launcpad/Looptunes/Remixlive etc.
    It just allows 'switching' from one scene to another.

• @5pinlink said:
    It doesnt let you 'Trigger' a full scene either really, that would imply start stop capability and latch or non latch capability ala Launcpad/Looptunes/Remixlive etc.
    It just allows 'switching' from one scene to another.

But when you change scene sync quantise to ’none’ you are able to launch each scene instantaneously

• You should try the software it was being conpared to for reference, it works nothing like those.

• @5pinlink said:
    You should try the software it was being conpared to for reference, it works nothing like those.

Ok yes I don’t know much about that software tbh. Thought that was what the op was looking for though. My bad

• Heres my take on the important differences, maybe im wrong....

Clip Triggering apps ala Launchpad/Looptunes
    Triggerable by MIDI hardware.
    Trigger types include One shot/Latched Loop/On hold/Choking.

Beatmaker 3
    Only triggers entire scenes via MIDI, not clips, has no trigger types as above, just switches between scenes.
    However, the back bone is in place and it could easily be the first app to not only offer all the clip triggering features as above, but also triggering to the song arranger ala Ableton Live/Sonar/Reaper with Playtime.
    That would be a huge step forward on IOS and make B3 the ultimate performance app on mibile.