Save only samples that are in use / remove the samples that are not in use

2»

Comments

• edited April 2018

Yeah, dont make such a long file name hahaha, go check out my banks in resources, trust me, it took me a lot of iterations to get them super readable in the browser, but still unique namable for missing file searchs.
    (but anyway, if you are desperate to read it all, hit edit and rename, you will be able to read the full name, its a hacky workaround, but hey)

What do i do ?

Ok here is my run down.
    1 Create new session, Save session, close session.

2 Go to my browser, find said session, create a new folder in my own personal session folder that is named for said session, move the session file in to that folder, create a samples folder inside that folder too.

3 Open and work on session, if i record a sample and know 100% that i will never use it anywhere else (I would suggest this is rare) i will save that sample to the session sample folder, if there is a slight chance i will ever use it elsewhere, it gets saved to my main sample folder structure (No duplicates if it can be loaded from your main structure everytime, less mess)
    Note here that i am careful to make sure it goes in the correct folder type and named well (do not ever ever ever call things Sawtooth or Beat or Snare etc etc, this will completely kill the lovliness that is "Search for missing files" example, Snare 1 Electro 1, that is the first snare in the first electro sample bank, unique name, easy to read, perfect, if you have two files called Snare 1 and they end up in the wrong folders, how could a missing files search ever know which one to load, now imagine 100 Snare 1s, yes i have seen commercial sample packs like that !!! )
    Reload the sample from the stored location once edited/saved (no more nonsense names in the sample list, no need to keep unsaved sessions)

4 You are now not only doing good housekeeping ala sample storage and duplicates, but also as a happy accident building up a vast library that is easy to access and read.

I have spoken to @mathieugarcia about the sluggishness of some of this saving and moving etc in B3 and i know for 100% fact that this is being worked on to become a super slick system for housekeeping.

FYI this isnt IOS or B3 specific, this is typical Sample storage housekeeping, it becomes second nature eventually, after years of spending hours searching through folders for an aaaah yeah sample, something has to give lol.

• Thanks for explaining how you do it.

:)

• @5pinlink but if you save your session at the beginning, there shouldn’t be any samples in unsaved sessions right ?
    For me most of the samples I create are just for that individual session so I’ve no need to move them into the main folder structure. For me it’s rare that I do need to. And those times I move them to the main folder.

• Cool thanks 5pinlink.

• edited April 2018

@groovey said:
    @5pinlink but if you save your session at the beginning, there shouldn’t be any samples in unsaved sessions right ?
    For me most of the samples I create are just for that individual session so I’ve no need to move them into the main folder structure. For me it’s rare that I do need to. And those times I move them to the main folder.

Yeah whatever works ;)
    Keep in mind that an unsaved session has nothing at all to do with the saved session, but if your way is working for you, go with that.

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks for explaining how you do it.

:)

No probs.

@Audiogus said:
    Cool thanks 5pinlink.

Youre welcome.

• @5pinlink said:

@groovey said:
    @5pinlink but if you save your session at the beginning, there shouldn’t be any samples in unsaved sessions right ?

Yeah whatever works ;)
    Keep in mind that an unsaved session has nothing at all to do with the saved session, but if your way is working for you, go with that.

I think I might not be clear about what an unsaved session is. What’s the difference between that and the saved session ?

• @groovey said:

@5pinlink said:

@groovey said:

Yeah whatever works ;)

I think I might not be clear about what an unsaved session is. What’s the difference between that and the saved session ?

If you load up BM3 and start playing around you will get an unsaved session... saved... confusing?

Anyway, best thing is when you load BM3, save right away with your own name.

• Thanks. So what do you do when b3 crashes and you open up your session which you had saved, and a message comes up saying ‘can’t find some samples, do you want to search database’. And then when you do, everything seems ok until you realise that one of the audio clips in your audio track is empty. How do you then relink the Clip?

• edited April 2018

I dont, i never have that issue because i save all my samples and never rely on unsaved sessions.

As far as i know there is no way to relink, you will need to reload it.

• @5pinlink said:
    I dont, i never have that issue because i save all my samples and never rely on unsaved sessions.

As far as i know there is no way to relink, you will need to reload it.

Why do you think it is that saving each individual sample in a new ‘user folder session’ means that bm never crashes as opposed to using intua’s method?

• I didnt say it stops crashes ?
    I said i dont have the problem IE empty files.

But i rarely have crashes in B3 anyway, and i suspect others rarely have crashes, there arent many reports of crashes.

• @5pinlink said:
    I didnt say it stops crashes ?
    I said i dont have the problem IE empty files.

But i rarely have crashes in B3 anyway, and i suspect others rarely have crashes, there arent many reports of crashes.

Let me rephrase:
    Why do you think it is that saving each individual sample in a new ‘user folder session’ results in bm never having empty file patterns as opposed to using intua’s method?

• Because it isnt missing random files that you accidentally deleted or forgot to save.

It isn't an issue with B3 as such, it is an issue with users assuming some kind of failsafe saving system that stores everything as they go.