How Do I Duplicate Patterns in Scenes?

Suppose I lay down 1 bar of hi hats and and a snare hit in scene mode. How do I take that one bar and duplicate/cut-paste (whatever) into 4 bars?

Comments

• edited April 2018

Easiest way is to expand the pattern markers in pattern edit mode then group-select > duplicate the midi notes

• The trouble is that either I can't get a proper 'select whole bar' or it won't paste at the start of the new bar.

So I had figured that I could just select all (double tap the finger with the dashed box), then stretch the loop marker to 2 bars and paste it. However, it seems to always paste to where the last midi note ends in the first bar, instead of where the new bar starts, which puts everything out of time. I have tried to select a timeline point marker at the new bar but it eludes me. This practice I understand how to do in Cubasis, but I do not understand it in BM3.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1 load pattern in song mode.
    2 Hit repeat
    3 Select both patterns
    4 Hit merge
    5 Done

• edited April 2018

@5pinlink’s suggestion is probably the fastest way to do this, but keep in mind your are creating a new pattern when you do the merge. Just like pressing the duplicate buttons when selecting a pattern will create new patterns as well.

Duplicating a selection of notes in the pattern editor is frustrating because there’s no way to include empty space as part of your selection. In Ableton, if you select the notes exactly, you’ll have the same results as in BM3, but you’re also easily able to include a range, such as a full bar, or even half of a bar, or whatever. In BM3, you can actually select a range of notes using the time bar at the top, but the selection will still only wrap itself down to the boundaries of the notes. We definitely need some way to create selections that include empty space to the left and right of the existing notes. There are workarounds like adding an extra note at the end that you later delete after duplicating, or stretching the last note to the end of the bar, or going out and repeating the pattern and merging, but it would be nice to enhance the note selection functionality.

Also, duplicating notes like you have been is also an option if you remember to then drag the duplicated notes to the correct starting position using the move handle at the left edge of the selection. That’s what I usually do.

• edited April 2018

Or you can use my patented 'full bar spacer note' trick to ensure duplicates line up neatly

• @tk32 said:
    Or you can use my patented 'full bar spacer note' trick to ensure duplicates line up neatly

Right, I forgot that trick! It’s like adding the note at the end, but easier to clean up after duplicating. That might be the fastest and easiest method if you’re working inside the pattern already or have some aversion to adding new patterns just to duplicate notes.

• @ronji said:

...or have some aversion to adding new patterns just to duplicate notes.

Nothing wrong with a new pattern. In fact, you need to add a new pattern so that changes you make don't change the pattern in the earlier scene. The double tap function should be set to bars, since it is such a common workflow need. Even better would be a "duplicate bar" option. What I don't understand is why isn't there some kind of vertical marker line that indicates you transport position/paste start point (like in Cubasis and Ableton). I must be doing something wrong -- there is no way we are on version 3 here and we need to create ghost notes, theres no way.

Regarding new patterns; I can't seem to figure out how you remove a pattern from a scene without deleting the actual pattern. In order to deal with this, I have been creating empty patterns as placeholders. How to I remove a pattern from a scene without deleting the pattern in all scenes?

• @5pinlink said:
    1 load pattern in song mode.
    2 Hit repeat
    3 Select both patterns
    4 Hit merge
    5 Done

Can I do this in scene mode or pattern mode?

• Yep. Here's my method...

1. Draw a temporary midi note lasting a whole bar (from start to end) on any note lane or pad lane that is currently empty.
    2. Select all midi notes in the pattern using the double-tap technique
    3. Press duplicate (bottom right)
    4. Duplicate another few times, if needed
    5. Finally select and delete the placeholder notes

In theory, there is an even quicker method.. but I haven't tested it yet (and currently away from iPad). It goes like this..

1. Switch grid mode to '1 bar'
    2. Select all midi notes (double tap)
    3. Press duplicate as many times as needed

(Not sure if this works yet, can anyone confirm?)

• @tk32 Just confirmed the select tool doesn't care what your grid setting is, only what the furthest left note start and furthest right note end of the selected notes. But I like your "selection note" trick better.

@futureaztec That's great if you don't mind creating additional patterns! It just wasn't clear to me from your post. I often want to simply duplicate a set of notes within a pattern, and of course other times duplicate a pattern round add variation from the original, so I wanted to make sure you knew what would happen in that scenario.

As far as what you can do in scene mode vs pattern mode, you can only merge patterns in song mode. I'll create a quick video that might help.

• edited April 2018

I love the merge tool, but hate that it always creates a new pattern and leaves the original patterns as they are (which are usually incomplete or fragmented). This often leads to a case of acute patternitis

It would be cool if you could choose between merge or consolidate

If you select consolidate it would delete the original patterns from the list and only leave you with the merged one

• @futureaztec said:

@ronji said:

...or have some aversion to adding new patterns just to duplicate notes.

Nothing wrong with a new pattern. In fact, you need to add a new pattern so that changes you make don't change the pattern in the earlier scene. The double tap function should be set to bars, since it is such a common workflow need. Even better would be a "duplicate bar" option. What I don't understand is why isn't there some kind of vertical marker line that indicates you transport position/paste start point (like in Cubasis and Ableton). I must be doing something wrong -- there is no way we are on version 3 here and we need to create ghost notes, theres no way.

Regarding new patterns; I can't seem to figure out how you remove a pattern from a scene without deleting the actual pattern. In order to deal with this, I have been creating empty patterns as placeholders. How to I remove a pattern from a scene without deleting the pattern in all scenes?

Highlight track containing pattern to remove and press the stop button to remove it

• edited April 2018

In this video I create a pattern, lay down some notes, duplicate them the “regular way” and move them over, then I do the selection note method (aka the @tk32 spacer note method ;) ), then I repeat the pattern and merge them, then I arrange the patterns in scenes and turn a pattern off for the track in one scene without deleting the pattern.

This is practically the extent of my knowledge when working with scenes.

• Note that the selection guide note doesn’t have to be a pad with sound, if you don’t want to hear that odd Tom then you can put the selection note up on an empty pad.

• edited April 2018

Thanks Ronji.

The bit starting 00:36 is my patented 'tk32 spacer note' method
    Works great for complicated rhythms or melodies, especially if they don't start on the downbeat :)

• This thread was worth reading just for "acute patternitis". Well played.

• I guess I have been spoiled with Korg Gadget's work flow. I don't use gadget these days because I am mesmerized by AUv3's and other features. I did a screen capture of performing the same task in Gadget. What I like about Gadget is that the flow feels like you are jamming, rather than doing video editing or something.

Can we make this a feature request? Or at least get the need for a ghost note fixed pronto? This seems pretty key.

• @ronji said:

I arrange the patterns in scenes and turn a pattern off for the track in one scene without deleting the pattern.

Okay that takes care of that issue. Thanks so much for the video. I also learned from the beginning of your video that I can get that pattern palette that you drag from by tapping the window at the top beside the three horizontal lines. Nice.

There has to be a way to avoid ghost riding the notes in 2018 though.

• I've actually just gotten used to duplicate, move, select all again, duplicate, move. It's not totally ruined it for me. Hoping 3.1 brings some joy there. If not, it will get there.

• @ronji What is that gesture at 00:29? I seem to be unable to drag a timeline with dragging notes, etc...

• edited April 2018

At around 0:29, I've selected all notes, pressed duplicate, and then I drag the small arrows handle on the left side of the duplicated selection in order to move the selection.