I am totally ready for version 3.1

edited April 2018 in General

Please forgive my impertinence, but I just wanted to let everybody (including Mathieu) know...

"I love BM3 and I am totally ready for version 3.1"
:)

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm in the same boat. The update will be pretty neat for sure and I'm already adjusted to some of the navigational improvements so it feels strange to go back to the previous version...

• Is there something you guys know that the rest of us don't know yet? Spill the beans already! :o

• @samu said:
    I'm in the same boat. The update will be pretty neat for sure and I'm already adjusted to some of the navigational improvements so it feels strange to go back to the previous version...

Are you allowed to say and is it ok to ask if you feel like general workflow has sped up ?

• @groovey said:

@samu said:
    I'm in the same boat. The update will be pretty neat for sure and I'm already adjusted to some of the navigational improvements so it feels strange to go back to the previous version...

Are you allowed to say and is it ok to ask if you feel like general workflow has sped up ?

No it's a beta, he shouldn't really be talking about it at all, often features in a beta wont make it to release, and if a beta tester mentions them, then it is "Developers promised this, developers promised that" (Transient detection, that Intua promised for release, but never actually did promise, for example)
    I am sure what @Samu posts is whatever he gets permission to post, so lets not ask him questions hahaha.

• Anyway, just go and use iMaschine or MPC Pro, those guys update their software too, right hahahahahaha, I nearly chocked on that one hahahahaha.

• @5pinlink said:

@groovey said:

@samu said:

No it's a beta, he shouldn't really be talking about it at all, often features in a beta wont make it to release, and if a beta tester mentions them, then it is "Developers promised this, developers promised that" (Transient detection, that Intua promised for release, but never actually did promise, for example)
    I am sure what @Samu posts is whatever he gets permission to post, so lets not ask him questions hahaha.

Yes makes sense

• We mainly know about 3.1 from what @mathieugarcia has said here on the forum and maybe in public channels like Twitter and Facebook. We have seen the official comments about certain bugs being fixed in 3.1 and vague excitement about some of the changes, but that’s it really. I can hardly wait for it to drop, myself. Usually we get a fix/feature list for the update a week or two ahead of release, so be on the lookout for something like that. =)

Also shout out to @tk32 for trying to coax more activity on the forum haha

• @ronji said:
    Also shout out to @tk32 for trying to coax more activity on the forum haha

Hes just turkeying because he isn't posting ten WIPs in the battle thread lol

• If you think that's a turkey.. wait till you hear my entry.

• @tk32 said:
    If you think that's a turkey.. wait till you hear my entry.

Badum tish, he will be here for early and late shows the next two weeks, don't forget to try our big plate special hahaha

• edited April 2018

@samu said:

‘Adjusted’... why am i getting flashbacks to Dotted Linegate? I will be sure to update the sacrificial mini2 first. ;)

• please be some improvements to the automation and AU compatibility. (crossing fingers and legs for this)

i don't know whether it's BM or the AU plug-in, but i'm getting some weird stuff happening when i try to automate, for example, the Replicant fx plugin by Audio Damage and the Effects Mix Mode. Drawing in the automation is a pain and frustrating (even with an apple pen) but the automation i draw needs to kick in and this doesn't seem to happen all the time.

and a basic on/off function for in-built fx plugins would be great.

footnote, thanks to the Intua team for making a great app, my Logic and Ableton colleagues are desperate for me to go back to the laptop, but i am determined, with your help, to keep going.

• edited April 2018

@cstep4444

This thread seemed to indicate some good things to come regarding automation improvements. Specificly to do with the intention of all available AU params being supported, which is currently not the case.

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/32722#Comment_32722

As for drawing automation it seems that you need to wait for playback to loop around before any automation you draw is used. This is unlike Cubasis or Gadget where you can scribble right in front of the playhead and it picks it up right away. I am not sure if that has been mentioned much or would be adressed.

• @Audiogus said:
    This is unlike Cubasis or Gadget where you can scribble right in front of the playhead and it picks it up right away. I am not sure if that has been mentioned much or would be adressed.

One thing that drives me nuts in Cubasis is that playback has to be stopped before the edits made to note-velocities kick in making it tedious to adjust velocities of notes during playback. Apparently it has something to do with the save & undo feature of Cubasis but it's on their to-do list. Cubasis 2.4.1 should be out soonish but it's mostly a freeze-fix.

Also In Cubasis, in order to 'draw' automation at least one point of the parameter has to be 'recorded' in order to make the automation lane visible for the parameter.

As far as I know we don't yet have any iOS DAW that allows the usage of proper 'curves' to draw parameter-automation. (Gadget with optional 'Curves Mode per Parameter' would be yummy).

Other things that bug me in Cubasis are the way audio-editing is done, I mean it's possible to do 'bounds adjustments' in the arranger to set start & end points but when going to the audio-editor those bounds are 'ignored' and the whole file is edited making it impossible to 'crop out' the portion that reflects the region in the arranger. And since there's no 'freeze region/selection' the only solution to 'crop out' parts of a larger recording seems to be to copy it to a new track and then freeze that track.

But at least it gives me some hope to know that the above 'things' are on the Cubasis teams 'to-do' list and have been for quite some time and from the looks of it the 2.5 update will be pretty 'massive'.

Back to BM3, sorry for OT rant...

• @samu

I am pretty sure midi wise that BM3 will be where I want it to be soon enough. My needs/wants are pretty basic in that area feature wise. Time stretching midi clips and... oh wait, that's it. Beyond that it is just puttying up the remaining automation and midi bugs. (PS... R.I.P. dotted line note movement)

OT-fest continued...

What I really want on iOS is a multitrack, timeline based audio editor to put all these accumulated exports and stems from various apps, recordings and projects together to just effectively collage them the way I do on a PC. At that stage for me it is no midi, no instrument plugins just fast/focused editing and manipulation/montage/mixing/mayhem.

I have been sketching an app idea for a while now, just to get it out of my head where I am essentially boiling out less than 2% of the features from classic desktop daws (reaper/samplitude etc) into what I think would work for me on iOS. I don't have any real means or plans to make it but it is more of an obsession to get it to feel right at least in an initial visualization. Reality of course would have it's own ideas regarding what is actually possible but it is a fun nerdy process I quite enjoy anyway. Likely such a thing will happen from someone else, somewhere... someday.

• Note movement needs revisiting !!!

• edited April 2018

@Audiogus like MultitrackDAW, or Auria? Perhaps you’ve tried or looked into them and they don’t satisfy the fast/focused requirements you have in mind.

• edited April 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Note movement needs revisiting !!!

Indeed, NanoStudio & BM2 are probably among the best out there.
    (My personal favourite piano-roll is still the Yamaha MMS but the app itself is quite limited).

I'm also slowly starting to like the way Cubasis does things (ie. make a selection, select a modifying tool and swipe to modify the selected events) even though it's a bit rough-edged at times.

And as strange as it might be I really do like GarageBand's way of drawing in notes and it 'remembers' the properties of the last drawn even and the grid adapts depending on zoom level for precise alignment.

Touch Based note-editing is a tricky thing to 'get right' but I do feel that given some care BM3 will end up on top.

• @ronji said:
    @Audiogus like MultitrackDAW, or Auria? Perhaps you’ve tried or looked into them and they don’t satisfy the fast/focused requirements you have in mind.

Yah the fast focus is the meat of the stick.

• We need more cowbell... Simon to be exact.
    :trollface:

• any indication for when 3.1 will be released?

• Is there something in particular you need ?
    Maybe we can think of a workaround.

• it’s the export problem i am having. i’ve sent the file to Mathieu, just hoping this problem can be fixed in the next release.

• edited April 2018

Here's one good reason we need it soon...

To bring back a bit of buzz and activity in these forums. It's like a ghost town lately :/

• Hey guys,

It will happen eventually, stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• edited April 2018

It's your fault @mathieugarcia

You got us all addicted to this amazing drug called BM3.

:)

But seriously, we all understand these things can't be rushed.. and we all know how hard you work already.

• this is one of the reasons (along with it being a great app) that i stick with BM3.

@mathieugarcia it's so refreshing to get some feedback from the heart of the team that develops the tools. Thanks.

• @cstep4444 said:
    this is one of the reasons (along with it being a great app) that i stick with BM3.

@mathieugarcia it's so refreshing to get some feedback from the heart of the team that develops the tools. Thanks.

+1