Confirmed: LayR synth update adds AUv3 support

2»

Comments

• I didn't read any 'head fits'? Just different opinions/some debate, no biggie?

• Jesus Christ people!!!! Almost every thread got some back and forth between posters. Can we all just sing a song!!!!

• @hansjbs said:
    Jesus Christ people!!!! Almost every thread got some back and forth between posters. Can we all just sing a song!!!!

Jesus Christ People

Almost every thread
    Got some
    Back and forth
    Back and forth
    Back
    Back
    Back and forth
    Between
    Between posters

Can we all just
    All just
    All just
    All just
    All just
    Sing a song
    Sing a song?

• edited April 2018

Dup

• @cstep4444 said:
    @drez would you say LayR would be comparible to Arturia's Analog Lab?

Yeah, I think its comparable to Analog Lab's multi mode where it can layer all the patches you have available in Analog Lab. in Layr, You can save individual Layers as component patches, as it were, so that you can reuse them in new "multi" patches, to use the same vernacular.

However, every "Layer" in Layr is based on the exact same synthesis engine, unlike all the different ones you have available to you in Analog Lab. But, Layr's synth engine is nice and easy to program and sounds good to my ears. It keeps things simple and allows you to build something pretty quickly.

• edited April 2018

Dup

• @drez said:

@cstep4444 said:
    @drez would you say LayR would be comparible to Arturia's Analog Lab?

Yeah, I think its comparable to Analog Lab's multi mode where it can layer all the patches you have available in Analog Lab. in Layr, You can save individual Layers as component patches, as it were, so that you can reuse them in new "multi" patches, to use the same vernacular.

However, every "Layer" in Layr is based on the exact same synthesis engine, unlike all the different ones you have available to you in Analog Lab. But, Layr's synth engine is nice and easy to program and sounds good to my ears. It keeps things simple and allows you to build something pretty quickly.

How well does it compare to Syntronik?

I couldn't find a video that really explained the Layr arp/sequencer. Looks like it 'might' be really cool, but I feel like I might not have fully understood it from vids and might be disappointed if I'm thinking it's more interesting than it actually is.

• @drez thanks for the insight. i will have to check out Layr a bit more.

• I wrote a huge post and the thread ate it :( NOTE: If you are posting something huge, always do it in an offline editor and paste it in.

I am not the type to hide behind internet anonymity and say things with no consequence. I try to conduct my conversations on the internet as if we are all in the same room having dinner together. It gives me a visual representation that helps me maintain civility and friendliness. Everybody should feel the right to be open with what they are communicating, but for me personally, if I'm in a forum or in a thread where things behave as if we aren't in the same room, then I'd do what I'd do in real life...I'd get up and leave the table. That said, I'd like to try to clarify some things...

@5pinlink I want to apologize if my comments were taken harshly. That was absolutely not my intent! I have great respect for not only what you do for the forum, but for your contributions to threads in general. This thread is no different. I have no problem with you brining the conversation around to BM3. That is definitely the point of the forum! I do believe that you are somewhat ignorant of how Layr works, and that was the basis of the first paragraph of my response. Basically: Layr isn't the same as BM3's sampler and comparing them is apples and oranges.

The second paragarph about "slapping it around" was meant as if we were discussing over a beer, not as if I was holding up a sign in protest about killing seals or something. I felt like a couple of your comments at the top of the thread were dismissing what Layr is capable of because you were comparing it to what BM3 was capable of and not necessarily because of what Layr itself was capable of. What I didn't do was state some examples. I've been working non stop on this data center migration to Amazon's cloud infrastructure and barely have time to hop into the forum. My statement was too terse, I believe.

So, in the spirit of @5pinlink bringing this discussion into the BM3 universe, I'd like to contribute and mention some of the key differences (IMO)...

(1) Layr is a Synth. It has morphable osciallators. BM3 does not. A sample engine is powerful in its own way, but it is definitely not the same thing as being able to create and change the sound source itself on the fly. They are different animals entirely. You can have samples of sine, square, saw waves etc, but you can't adjust those waves in the same way as controlling oscillators. If BM3 had a "Synth" page like the "Sampler page that, instead of the the sampler waveform, it had and one or two oscialltors that fed into the same filter, ADSR, and modulation matrix, it would take BM3 to a whole new level of awesome. I think people would then start creating a ton of synth patches. I know I would. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love both the internal BM3 sampler as well as being able to use synths like Zeeon or iSEM or whatever, but having native osciallators built in allows me to do much more within the BM3 ecosystem iteself.

(2) Layr has 4 link groups..for every parameter. I can have 12 layers and assign layers 1-6 to a link group control the filter freq on one of the filters and assign layers 7-12 to a different link group for the same filter control, but adust them independantly. I can sort of do this in BM3 with knobs, but you run out of knobs. And it for sure isn't as elegant as Layr.

(3) I can save each individual layer on its own. You can then create a component library of sounds that you can load up into other multi layer patches. Have a favorite bell layer? Save it and bring it into your next multi layer patch.

(4) The UI itself is completely built around the layer concept. Its super easy to add and move between layers and the mixer. Things are placed exactly where you'd think they should be (IMO). BM3 has me jumping from the left to the top to the right, etc. The mixer view feels more of a separate thing all together in BM3, but in Layr, it just feel like part of the synth itself.

So my take aways for BM3 are:

• Add a Synth page that has oscillators as a sound source instead of just the Sampler
    • Expand link groups so I can assign groups of parameters to individual link groups (unless i'm not using BM3 correctly)

Again, @5pinlink. I'm truly sorry for the way I communicated. I hope you know that I'm not a mean guy or upset. I definitely didn't have that in my heart, but might have had that in my communication. I'll try to do better with emojis and better word choices. I don't want to poison threads or relationships and appreciate being called out if I am doing so.

• @Audiogus said:

@hansjbs said:
    Jesus Christ people!!!! Almost every thread got some back and forth between posters. Can we all just sing a song!!!!

Jesus Christ People

Almost every thread
    Got some
    Back and forth
    Back and forth
    Back
    Back
    Back and forth
    Between
    Between posters

Can we all just
    All just
    All just
    All just
    All just
    Sing a song
    Sing a song?

Much better :D

• @drez six of one, half a dozen of the other, no apology needed at all, i should have been clearer that the vast majority of synths are not for me, not just this one, I dont use things i am too stupid to use, that shouldnt be taken as me saying others shoukdnt use it either, but i obviously wasnt clear on that.

• Great people on this forum. :)

• edited April 2018

FYI..

VirSyn Poseidon just updated to support AUv3 too

Long may this trend continue, until all IAA plugins become AUv3!

(ps. all Yonac synths — Kaspar, Kauldron etc — are currently 50% off)