Lag with au on the master

Is it normal to have lag with an au on the master? I’ve been noticing lag with au fx on the master. When I press play it takes a second to start playing and when I hit a pad there is latency even if I adjust the buffer. My iPad is pretty new though it is not a pro..

Comments

• edited May 2018

No, this is not normal, and latency should be low enough that you practically don't notice it.

I wonder, do you have any instances of the BM3 compressor/limiter loaded on the bank effect chain (or pad effect chain) with lookahead mode switched on?

It's about the only thing I can think of that would cause this, so worth checking...

Also try restarting your ipad.

• It depends entirely on the effect you have loaded on the master.
    Unless a plugin is specifically zero latency (no buffer) then you will always get a delay (lag)

Right now nobody seems to know if IOS AU even supports PDC (@brambos you got any updates on this since the last time it was asked ? ) so the delay (lag) is unlikely to be compensated by the host app (B3) either.

Note zero latency effects on the desktop are pretty rare, i would suggest that in IOS it is even rarer, i know of no AU on IOS that is tightly in sync, any effects i use i turn off before rendering stems to be mixed on the desktop.

• If it takes a second to start playing it could be that BM3 is waiting for the current Ableton Link cycle to end. Most Link enabled apps start playing in sync with the beat phase - as soon as the new beat or bar starts.

Try disabling Ableton Link and see if that makes a difference.

• So thats a no idea yet still to the pdc in IOS AU @brambos lol

• @5pinlink said:
    So thats a no idea yet still to the pdc in IOS AU @brambos lol

No, but all AUs are synced to the audiostream - in fact they are rendered simultaneously on the same thread, so AU FX should have the exact same lag as the audio itself and not introduce any extra latency. I don’t know why you think AUs aren’t tighly in sync on iOS, they should typically all be in sync down to the last sample. B)

• edited May 2018

Because so many are out of sync, maybe it is just in B3 then ?
    I will send you some audio tests of Perforator, possibly only an issue in B3.

• So mostly I noticed the lag with fly tape au. All I have to have on is the noise, the one that makes it sound like vinyl and bam, lag..I’ve noticed it before with turnado on the play button but I think I figured out that had to do with link being on,.. I’m gonna test more stuff and see what makes it lag... thanks everyone for the replies

• edited May 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Because so many are out of sync, maybe it is just in B3 then ?
    I will send you some audio tests of Perforator, possibly only an issue in B3.

You're correct that in theory it is possible for an AU effect to add latency if it needs to 'look into the future' for its audio processing. However, I have never seen a plugin actually make use of this feature. I don't believe one exists yet on iOS, so this sounds more like a timing issue in the host itself.

• Thats not good :(

• So I deleted fly tape off the effects on the master of a very simple hip hop beat I made with a drum beat and a sample chopped, no bass line, no synths, there was lag and latency with just the noise slider on,. I opened turnado IAA on the master, dug in deeper and created the same tape stop fly tape offers of one of turnado’s knobs also have my go to effects on the other knobs and no lag or latency... so I guess the burden is fly tape. That app and others make me realize how much I love turnado, you can really dig deep in that app...

• Also no latency or lag with their other app lo fly dirt.