Bluetooth 4x4 Pad Controller, where are you?

Unless I’m missing it, why is there no company making a 4x4 Bluetooth pad controller?!? It would be my dream controller for the iPad and BM3.

Comments

• So far I think this is the only option? I'm so tempted.
    https://sensel.com/pages/morph

• I didn’t realise it was also wireless. That makes it even more tempting 😋

• @drez said:
    Unless I’m missing it, why is there no company making a 4x4 Bluetooth pad controller?!? It would be my dream controller for the iPad and BM3.

Been waiting for one myself.
    Real pads. Not the sensel ones.

• Not 4x4 but LPD8 wireless

• This looks like a possible solution with the right hardware?
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

• I would already own the sensel if it wasnt horrific cost to get sent to the UK.

• @5pinlink Yes, it looks rather fantastic. A bit ot: Makes me wonder what you think about
    https://www.play-joue.com/en/
    Seems a bit expensive and less flexible, though...

• edited May 2018

I'm using an Akai MPD218 with a Zivix puc+ Bluetooth midi interface. But yes I agree that a 4x4 pad controller with integrated Bluetooth would be fantastic.

• @gosnote where is the MPD getting power from, does it have a battery?

• @denx said:
    @5pinlink Yes, it looks rather fantastic. A bit ot: Makes me wonder what you think about

Yeah that has always been interesting but just too expensive.

• @JDB said:
    @gosnote where is the MPD getting power from, does it have a battery?

The PUC powers it.

• @5pinlink said:

@JDB said:
    @gosnote where is the MPD getting power from, does it have a battery?

The PUC powers it.

Cool, any idea what sort of battery life you’re looking at with that? That’s pretty sweet

• No idea, i just read their website haha

• If I already had a 4x4 pad midi controller, it seems like the $80 puc+ would be the way to go. @gosnote can you elaborate on the battery life? After watching more videos of the sensel, I think that’s what ima save up for. @5pinlink would the cost be more reasonable if someone in the US picked it up and shipped it to you? I’ve heard of ridiculous prices on items like this purchased by UK residents, but I wonder if it’s more reasonable for a US resident to help out.

• Its doubtful mate, its the tax as much as anything else, will look in to it.

• I'm reviving this thread because NAMM is rapidly approaching and I'l love for this to finally be the year this happens. If it doesn't, I'd probably have to pull the trigger on the @gosnote setup, but the size of that puck is holding me back. BM3 as a live fingerdrumming setup is the goal. It would be nice to have the 4x4 next to the ipad where you could play the BT controller for finger drumming and then do the 4x4 or 8x8 on the screen to trigger samples or maybe scene's with @blueveek 's new midi app's triggering clip's? You could probably setup a launchpad as well, but trying to keep the setup small.

BUT, one advantage playing the pads on the screen is the best part of BM3, imo...the giant velocity pad in the 4x4 view! I'm going to try setting up some vocal chops across different velocity zones so that when you are playing live, you can tap on different sections and trigger different samples. Does this sound like something that's doable?

This way you can play samples by tapping the range. Its like increasing the number of pads exponentially on the screen without losing the 4x4 layout.

I know that it will change each time you tap a pad because its always locked onto the last pad you've played. That's ok, you just have to keep track of which one you hit last. I do it now to play ghost notes on snares by hitting the snare on the 4x4 pad and then quickly tapping the velocity trigger area at the bottom, for example, to create the ghost note. It works amazingly well.

Anyway would be a fun experiment at least.

• @drez yeah you can do that. Here’s a bad example haha

• That’s awesome!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for throwing that together and showing me the process. I’m going to experiment!

:smiley:

• Dont bother using the current Audioveek MIDITools to set up clip launching, trust me, something wicked this way comes ;)

• Crap, I'm jonesing for the Sensel again now lol.

• what about the midi fighter?

• @BitterGums said:
    what about the midi fighter?

Need velocity sensitivity. Otherwise I’d stick to the iPad screen. And those midi fighters are LOUD. Clacky McClackerson.

• @denx said:
    @5pinlink Yes, it looks rather fantastic. A bit ot: Makes me wonder what you think about

I own a Joue play with all the modules except the new synth one...
    Touch sensitivity on instrument modules is awful so it is a great companion to less dynamic instruments.
    The midi cc modules are great except from it doesn’t have an iOS editor so if you’re trying to configure the x/y pad it would be difficult if not almost impossible.

I was one of the early people on the Kickstarter page to adopt it and it is a mostly a disappointment. Lack of updates, lack of customer support and not having an iOS editor while it was advertised as a mobile device with iOS in mind is a bummer.
    I guess the sensel controller is the same in terms of sensitivity...

P.s
    Internal built-in latency is 8ms.

• edited January 2019

Sensel sensitivity is supposed to be amazing, everybody i know who has one says it is superb

• @winconway said:
    Sensel sensitivity is supposed to be amazing, everybody i know who has one says it is superb

In that case, I truly envy them.
    But then again, I’ll have to try it by myself after the joue experience.
    But if it does work well (and I just found out it has Bluetooth connectivity as well, very cool) I’ll sell the joue for it.

• Yeah i havent heard many bad words about the sensel to be honest, but like you say, until it is in hand and being used, you cant tell

• @winconway said:
    Dont bother using the current Audioveek MIDITools to set up clip launching, trust me, something wicked this way comes ;)

Which 1 might that be?

• I bought the Sensel and love the different overlays And the ease of customising mappings - I would say that the access to a computer is needed to do this and I think that the Bluetooth option doesn’t work for me as the latency is too much. But once I used the usb cable it was much more stable and great for my needs. Love the layout of the pads and the sliders and volume controls are lovely to use. Sensitivity wise you have to press quite hard On the pads or use the option of same volume setting. You have the option of mpe which is new to me and interesting to try out. I would say I like this more than any other controller I have had for BeatMaker to date but it’s all subjective. Hope this helps anyone.

• @BitterGums said:

I just contacted these guys and they said it needs more power then the iPad has so will need a powered hub to run. I asked if a Bluetooth version was in the works and he said he would Bring it up to the team after the holidays.. would be dope if it had 8 knobs up top.