First beat missing when starting sequencer with apeMatrix loaded as IAA.

When apeMatrix is loaded into BM3 as an IAA, Link off, IAA sync engaged (this is necessary because apeMatrix and BM3 do not yet support Ableton Link start/stop sync), the first beat is not heard upon transport start. Thus, I have to record 2.9 loops and trim most of it to get the sample in.

Comments

• Missing first beats in various scenarios seems to be an issue. Even happens for me with some AU plugin sequences looping via the timeline.

• edited June 2018

Every time I set loop markers I expect the first beat not to play. I am used to this glitch, have found a few workarounds* and am pretty confident this will go away in version 3.1

*the workarounds are...
    1. Turn off quantise and move any midi notes on the first beat forward a few milliseconds
    2. Create lead-in/anacrusis-style loop markers - ie you deliberately set the loop markers to start and finish a beat early

• @tk32 said:
    Every time I set loop markers I expect the first beat not to play. I am used to this glitch, have found a few workarounds* and am pretty confident this will go away in version 3.1

*the workarounds are...
    1. Turn off quantise and move any midi notes on the first beat forward a few milliseconds
    2. Create lead-in/anacrusis-style loop markers - ie you deliberately set the loop markers to start and finish a beat early

Awesome thanks for this.

• @tk32 said:

*the workarounds are...

@Audiogus said:
    Missing first beats in various scenarios seems to be an issue. Even happens for me with some AU plugin sequences looping via the timeline.

Yeah I’ve seen this is AUM with Rozeta and Ableton Link too.

• FYI first notes not playing, so common on the desktop platforms that nearly all DAW developers suggest a one bar run in if you check their forums, Reaper even has a setting to offset the ruler lol.

• @5pinlink said:
    FYI first notes not playing, so common on the desktop platforms that nearly all DAW developers suggest a one bar run in if you check their forums, Reaper even has a setting to offset the ruler lol.

Ah ok thanks for the info. BM3 has no bar run except for when recording right? I’ll use the work arounds mentioned above those are vwry easy and not difficult to get into a habit of doing.

• A bar run in is not metronome pre, its leaving an actual gap at the start of the project ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    A bar run in is not metronome pre, its leaving an actual gap at the start of the project ;)

omg youre a genius

• @jstrotter
    I've heard from other users you can be a bit of a troublemaker, but I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt. So please stop posting stupid comments like above.

• @jstrotter said:

@5pinlink said:
    A bar run in is not metronome pre, its leaving an actual gap at the start of the project ;)

omg youre a genius

Yes i am, thanks for noticing ;)

• @tk32 said:
    @jstrotter
    I've heard from other users you can be a bit of a troublemaker, but I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt. So please stop posting stupid comments like above.

Not sure what comment you’re referring to.

• @jstrotter said:

@tk32 said:
    @jstrotter
    I've heard from other users you can be a bit of a troublemaker, but I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt.

There was a time when I wanted iPad and the apps in iPad to be everything I wished for and hoped for. When things didn’t work out, I took personal offense and had a lot of frustration that I vented down upon BM3 and its creators. My behavior during these times was less than stellar or appropriate.

That said, even though these days I’m determined to be polite, I am an honest iPad music maker. I don’t become a die hard fan of anyone and openly, candidly, honestly discuss limitations, mistakes, and shortfalls. BM3 has a huge amount of these, in my opinion. I am not here to shower praises and excitement for BM3 at all times and in all places, making sure to never have negative criticism or nary a dark word.

So, while you can expect me to be courteous and sane, you can’t expect me to the tow a line of constant positive imaging and promotion, because I don’t believe this is how things get better.

If your impression of my comment above is sarcasm towards @5pinlink , it’s not. I’m self deprecating and calling myself an idiot for having never imagined this simple workaround and extolling him as a genius because, obviously, compared to me, and perhaps compared to most, he is.

• edited June 2018

Ok. I've previously sensed an angry sarcastic vibe in your posts, so I might have misjudged your meaning above.

Apologies.

• @tk32 said:
    Ok. I've previously sensed an angry sarcastic vibe in your posts, so I might have misjudged your meaning above.

Apologies.

Your senses aren’t fooling you, so I understand your assumption. I’m doing my best to keep it together, and in all reality, I need to step back from iPad as being an entire music production solution for me because I become too emotionally compromised with the frustrations of attempting full production on iPad, probably because I’m a compositional, programming, midi sort of fellow vice a performing and recording one.

Perhaps one of the reasons I am so emotionally compromised with BM3 itself is precisely because how close it is to being a solution for sole production on iPad for those who are of a midi, sampling, programming, structure building flavor of workflow person juxtaposed to how woefully it falls short because, despite constant releases of updates, its being plagued with crashes, bugs, incompatibility with other apps, terrible midi and IAA implantation, strange bugs that come and go, and in short, all around instability and unreliability.

I know that others haven’t experienced this same reality. It seems there might also be problems with iPad and iOS itself, seeing that there is a problem with 2017 2nd Gen Pros, the kind I have. Others may find it difficult to reproduce my experience, but they exist and understand where I’m coming from, and perhaps I am giving them a voice. I will continue to try and make sure that voice is pleasant and constructive rather than unpleasant and destructive.

• @jstrotter many share your frustrations as you can see from the posts. A large section of this forum is dedicated to work arounds due to limitations and bugs. Many of the users here though can see the immense potential in bm3 and often work together to help Intua nail out the bugs. People like ronji tk audiogus and lots of others and of course 5pin who is a knowledgeable, generous and super cool guy. Some people don’t always get his humour, though I do, I guess being a Brit. He’s been integral here in helping Intua, even though he doesn’t work for them. Many of your issues have all been noted and passed on in the bugs section. Intua are a super cool team of developers. Check interviews that have been done with mathieu. He’s a great guy. Dedicated, patient and a lover of music and pushing software forward.

It’s frustrating I’m sure. I’ve been there. But I’ve managed work arounds for the majority of cases. Not ideal. But for the time being it suffices. I’m confident bm3 is going to move forward in a really major way. It’s a sophisticated piece of software. And I am very particular about my tools. So even though you sometimes you feel like letting loose on here, hang in there instead if you can. BM3 will soon come of age.

• edited June 2018

@mathieugarcia is a good developer and a genuinely nice person, trust me when i say that he wants B3 to be all it can be ;)

FYI while he has a vision for B3 he is only stubborn to the point of conmon sense, he has point blanc told me that a suggestion i have made does not fit at all with B3 workflow, then after an hour comeback and said, yep ive been testing both ways and you are right, so he does listen and for what its worth he does read this forum too ;)

• @mathieugarcia @5pinlink @groovey @tk32

After reading you folks very reasonable reaponses which are full of goodwill and comraderie, as well as understanding of my frustrations, and giving Mathieu such support, I wish to apologize Mathieu for being an ass on the Facebook forum.

I only wish to help and contribute, and will try to not take things so seriously and personally in the future.

After all, it’s music and it should be fun, and I, too, believe in the potential of BM3 which is why I’m so damned concerned.

• Sometimes things happen that can halt development in one way or another, here is an example of the fastest developed software in the world of audio 'Reaper'

Two years+ users were asking for ARA support, it was not forthcoming, not because the developers at Reaper didn't want to implement it, but because ARA simply wouldn't work as was, ARA got an update, Reaper got ARA, not only that, but ARA 2 has the best support in Reaper apparently (ARA 2 isnt even public yet lol)

We all get frustrated when feature xyz isn't working well or simply not implemented yet, but it is not always down to a developer pulling their finger out and just doing it, sometimes external problems completely out of a developers hands come in to play.

Trust me on this, i could scream all day long about editing steps and the piano roll with those damn arrows, it isnt going to make any difference if i do though, well maybe just to my health lol.

• Nice to have you aboard for the ride @jstrotter

We hope some of our workflows and bug workarounds will help you make music in BM3 as it is now... and it can only get better in time.

Btw, all of us here have had moments of immaturity, diva behaviour or other causes for embarrassment - so no hard feelings :)

• @5pinlink said:
    Sometimes things happen that can halt development in one way or another, here is an example of the fastest developed software in the world of audio 'Reaper'

Two years+ users were asking for ARA support, it was not forthcoming, not because the developers at Reaper didn't want to implement it, but because ARA simply wouldn't work as was, ARA got an update, Reaper got ARA, not only that, but ARA 2 has the best support in Reaper apparently (ARA 2 isnt even public yet lol)

We all get frustrated when feature xyz isn't working well or simply not implemented yet, but it is not always down to a developer pulling their finger out and just doing it, sometimes external problems completely out of a developers hands come in to play.

Trust me on this, i could scream all day long about editing steps and the piano roll with those damn arrows, it isnt going to make any difference if i do though, well maybe just to my health lol.

@tk32 said:
    Nice to have you aboard for the ride @jstrotter

We hope some of our workflows and bug workarounds will help you make music in BM3 as it is now... and it can only get better in time.

Btw, all of us here have had moments of immaturity, diva behaviour or other causes for embarrassment - so no hard feelings :)

Sweet. And making a difference to my health is what I resonate with the most. I’m positive I’m gonna grey faster because my journey in iPad only music production.