Perforator live: AUv3 Gate Effect

2»

Comments

• :(

Perforator is still the mutt's nuts

• Tried it today, and midi is unpredictable at best. When I assign cc’s to control kq dixie some apparently random parameters recieve midi (most often 1 and 2 regardless of settings in perforator). Hitting record causes bm3 to crash. Turning of midi input doesn’t stop some weird stuff to go on anyway. So to all practical purpouses it does not work for controlling parmeters on this synth. As an audio effect, though, perforator seems to do the job 🙂

• Update just dropped “fixed an issue with AU automation on some hosts”
    Wonder if that’s relevant to BM3, and if so the wonder if it’s about the automation recording crash or the issue @denx mentioned about CC controlling other AU synths, or something else?

• @ronji said:
    Update just dropped “fixed an issue with AU automation on some hosts”
    Wonder if that’s relevant to BM3, and if so the wonder if it’s about the automation recording crash or the issue @denx mentioned about CC controlling other AU synths, or something else?

No, it shouldn't have an influence on those issues. It was mostly to fix an issue with automation recording in Cubasis (it would sometimes only record knob-movement, but not play them back again).

The two issues mentioned above unfortunately appear to be inside BM3, so I can't fix them from my end.

• Thanks for clarifying, @brambos! I guess we're all itching more and more for 3.1 to drop =)

• @ronji said:
    Thanks for clarifying, @brambos! I guess we're all itching more and more for 3.1 to drop =)

• 1 on both accounts 😁
  • That was supposed to be a plus sign 🤔

• @brambos FYI this is tight as anything in Cubasis, not so in B3 in comparison :(
    Maybe my install of B3 though, hopefully others can do a few comparisons too.

• @5pinlink said:
    @brambos FYI this is tight as anything in Cubasis, not so in B3 in comparison :(

Hmmm.. thanks for testing. Not sure if that's good news or bad news :|

• @5pinlink said:
    @brambos FYI this is tight as anything in Cubasis, not so in B3 in comparison :(

@5pinlink - I'm happy to repeat the Perforator comparison in B3 and Cubasis on my ipad pro, but wondered what your suggestion was for a quick and easy way to do this accurately?

• edited June 2018

Single tone, metronome, straight 32nd or 16th on off pattern, you will hear the difference.
    You can even record both outputs and compare the two waveforms.

Again, it could just be my B3 install though.

• In fact when i record it, it is so far out it wont loop.

• I've been working on a track that uses perforator throughout, and I have definitely noticed a significant drift in the sync when exporting. :(

Oddly, it sounds pretty tight when playing back live in BM3, much better than the export, but then again it can be pretty tricky to tell when gating these lush pad sounds coming from Synthmaster One.

Fingers crossed this is also rectified in the next release of BM3.

• edited June 2018

Yeah sync is bad, definitely needs working on in B3.

• So here's the track I was having sync issues with (Synthmaster One + Perforator). I managed to get around the issue by recording the main out to an audio track inside BM3 in real time.

By exporting in real time, perforator stayed in perfect sync for the whole track

• It doesnt stay in sync here playing live, will listen to your song in a bit.

• Got about twenty seconds in to the first trance gate, its out of sync, my ears might be slightly more atuned because of how long i have been DJing, but its out very very slightly.

Unfortunately i cant even use string libraries without editing after the fact because sample libraries dont take in to account that all string musicians play slightly before the beat to compensate their own attack.

It is probably good enough fpr most people though, i just cant use it at all in B3.

• It’s good enough for me, but I have a terrible ear for that kind of thing 🙂 Enjoyed the track!

• Unfortunately if you are making anything you want a DJ to mix, stuff that is slightly out of sync gets messy quick in the mix, so they simply dont play it, or it has to be good enough to just do a drop and not mix, which is pretty rare haha.

• edited June 2018

Heres a snippit example, non of the beats i put over this are in tight sync, but at the same time i know you cant really hear it and anytime i play this i am not going to mix it, it would negate the point of the silliness of it.

http://www.turntable.ninja/noodles/Flexi_vs_Aha.mp3

So while it sounds like it is in sync, its just out enough to be a complete elephant stamped if mixed with something else slightly off sync.

• I trust your ears 5pin, and I'm sure you're right.

For me this was bearable, the version I got from exporting was not. Whatever it is that is knocking the perforator sync out, it seems to be amplified when exporting at faster-than-realtime

• There is a ton of sync issues with various stuff right now, i am certain it will all get tracked down eventually, a lot of this stuff can be a complete PITA to fix as a developer.