Synthmaster One...

Comments

• iPad is just a computer, this isn't pushing its limits at akl, in fact it is very comfortable aside the buggy operation right now, hopefully it will get fixed soon though.

What is Jesus ? Is that an upcoming effect ?

• @5pinlink said:
    What is Jesus ? Is that an upcoming effect ?

Not sure if you didn’t catch the “second coming of Jesus” joke, or if you’re just joking yourself =p

• Its a music forum, just trying to keep it that way ;)

• "No religion; no politics"

Extract from chapter 1 of 'The Forum Mod's Guide to Keeping the Peace'

• Testify!

• Nobody was offended, you would have to be something a bit special to offend me, but this is a music forum, lets keep it that way ;)

• edited June 2018

• edited June 2018

Thanks Willie, I used...

Synths: mostly Synthmaster One, Couple bits of Zeeon, Synthscaper
    misc kick, snare and a couple small dubstep bursts from a library and an old scratch loop that I put through...
    FX: Kosmonaught, the FAC utilities, DDMF envelop, Haaze,

Spent a few hours working out the track in BM3 to its full length then exported it to PC where I did a couple hours mixing in Samplitude, the usual mixy stuff but the most noticable effect is izotopes StutterFX, which is a nice ‘push button, make neato’ effect. Quite happy with the ios/desktop balance now. Trying to keep it mostly chill on the couch.

Sampled youtube for...

The score from the first few seconds to a Sherlock Holmes and Dracula radio drama from 1981...

Clips from the X Minus One episode Nightfall...

• edited June 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    Great stuff. Love izotope. Samplitude? That’s taking it back to my PC days. Magix was everything until I crossed over to Apple land. Thanks again for the breakdown and 3.1 coming soon trailer theme. Pretty impressive assuming it was inspired by the thread.

Thanks, yah I was just pecking through these x minus 1 eps after reading the thread and these samples just popped out serendipitously. I got about 16 bars with Synthmaster One going and hopped back to youtube and this sherlock intro was in the queue on the side and just worked, without pitching or chopping, hah, love it when that happens.

Anywho, here is the raw Bm3 track before desktop/samplitude phase.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxoi6frx0xbp756/315 coming bm3 raw-converted.m4a?dl=0

• edited June 2018

With the exception of StutterFX giving its brand of quick shtickery that I enjoy I could have taken the BM3 native version further but it would just take longer. Not having a nice spectrum analyzer of some sort is tricky. Anyway, in the sparse/rushed Samplitude phase I am pretty sure I over compressed and ended up flattening it all way too much, I have too many different sounds masking one another and the dialogue is hard to parse etc etc excuse excuse. The whole process was pretty rushed. Midi export from BM3 will be nice for layering, overdubs or outright replacement too. Desktop Bm3 if/when it comes may be amazing for finishing.

Really I am more in sketchy demo mode just playing with different art directions and ideas right now. My best stuff was always 100% desktop back in the day with monitor speakers and not the couch / 380HD headphones. Heh, just trying to keep busy, not get too rusty for if/when I retire and can maybe go back to a room with speakers and not be as rushed. Wah wah, excuses excuses. ;)

EDIT: updated the Soundcloud link with one that I just exported from Samplitude with no compression and used NoLimits in BM3 to compress it. Seems to work better.

Anyway, I have had enough being neurotic for one night! ;)

• Amen 🙂

• @Audiogus said:

Gus you need a turntable and scratch mixer, some scratches over this and it would be unbelievable, would be like my most listened to tunes !!!

• @WillieNegus said:

@Audiogus said:
    Anyway, I have had enough being neurotic for one night! ;)

If being neurotic gets us another track like that I’ll be chasing you all over forums with terrible “coming soon” jokes. Yes guys, I am taking a shameful .1% inspiration credit for this record.lmfao. Hey, it worked for Pusha T vs Drake.

This record should have been on Nas’ most recent effort. Kanye went super lazy on the beats imo. It’s been a wierd few weeks in Music for me here in Mia:

1. 40+ yr old rappers and producers have taken the game back...from Canada,
    2. Ariana Grande got engaged...AGAIN, and
    3. some dude named @Audiogus from a random forum made the most insane beat I’ve heard in weeks.lol

Van Glorious.

Haha, aww thanks man, as a 40+ yr old Canadian producer I suddenly feel relevant. :blush:

• @5pinlink said:

@Audiogus said:

Gus you need a turntable and scratch mixer, some scratches over this and it would be unbelievable, would be like my most listened to tunes !!!

Thanks 5pinlink, would love to hear someone scratch over this! I did have a turntable running Torq for a bit but just never had the time to get to know it plus had to downsize and de-allergen the place (records) and I feel I may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, but square footage is tight here. Sure hoping a nice AU scratcher comes around. Maybe even sampling/chopping DJay2 may work.

• edited June 2018

Beatmaker 3 with Synthmaster One, exported stems and mixed with Stutter Edit etc

• @WillieNegus said:
    I’ll go out on a limb and say you’ve been up to this for a long time. Not my fav flavor of tea but I know when tea is prepared well. Vibe was fun and you made a lot of busy sound very simple which is where the magic is in this thing of ours. More kudos deserved and for sharing. I’m getting the impression you really do like SM1 aLOT.lol. Me too.

Hehe, yah I do have a bit of a 90s industrial techno monkey on my back still that I never fully scratched back in the day, so I take occassional parting shots at it from time to time in order to keep it in place to focus on the ‘real stuff’. I have a genre/platform agnostic album I have been working on for a few years now that is the main focus while the SC stuff is more of the forum dropbox of misc fun / shameful misadventures.

Totaly can’t wait for the SMOne and BM3 issues to be smoothed out. To be able to take tracks as far as we can now on something the size of a comic book is... ah, words fail.

• edited June 2018

Here's some more love for Synthmaster One...

A little retro trance track I've been working on that uses Synthmaster One + Perforator.

• edited June 2018

Btw, I loaded SMOne into GarageBand and toggled fullscreen...... Really hope we can get this in BeatMaker 3!

GarageBand

Note selecting mod sources at bottom left reveals all of the LFOs and envelopes in place of the mod matrix.

SynthMaster One standalone

• edited June 2018

It looks even better than standalone!

Does anyone else find the dials in SM One far too sensitive? I was trying to build a patch with a sub-oscillator at -1 octave, but it's a bitch to fine-control those rotaries - especially when using the AUv3 UI - and there's no way to adjust sensitivity, or tap in values manually.

• edited June 2018

Fullscreen Synthmaster One crashes even in Garageband for me...

iPad Pro 12.9” 2017 256GB/4G with iOS 11.4...
    Hmmm....

• Since the update I can’t load my last project anymore. A bit of sound, a few cracles and then nothing... reboot, reinstall, start synthmaster first, nothing seems to help. Hope it’ll settle 🙄

• Yeah. It's safe to say full screen mode should be avoided for now :)

Sorry to hear about your issues @denx

Perhaps there'll be a hotfix tonight?

• Well I'm exporting all of the tracks in my session before updating. I was gonna go try and save the presets, but I can't find any way to save presets in AUv3 mode. Dang. Hope this doesn't blow up! The glitch @denx Is mentioning sounds like what happens when the AU freaks out and loses its patch state, like @tk32 And myself have found. Thankfully I have a working session to export before updating. Will report back after doing the update.

• @tk32 said:
    Yeah. It's safe to say full screen mode should be avoided for now :)

Sorry to hear about your issues @denx

Perhaps there'll be a hotfix tonight?

Cheers, I knew updating could be risky, silly me 😉

• Yeah don't update if your SMOne is working. I'm getting "SynthMaster One: Cannot instantiate" when loading my battle session.

• Now updating my iPad to iOS 11.4 cuz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• At least you can now save presets inside the AUv3. Confirmed working ;)

• edited July 2018

Whether you've updated or not, if you have a good session that had SMOne working when you last saved or not, try this. I've recovered my SMOne banks that got broken after the update.

Load your session, save the banks that contained SMOne, close and reload B3, open the broke session, unload all SMOne plugins, save this session with a new name (you shouldn't just trust me enough to overwrite your last known good session), close and reload B3, load the newly saved session, load the banks you saved earlier. Then report back here with your stories of success or failure.
    Note I'm on iOS 11.4 and SMOne 1.1.1

Note, I don't know if this will work if you have already saved over your known good session after you experienced the loading problem. Please do test and report back anyway if you're already in dire straits.

Update: I've only managed to recover one bank this way so far. =\

• @ronji said:
    Whether you've updated or not, if you have a good session that had SMOne working when you last saved or not, try this. I've recovered my SMOne banks that got broken after the update.

Load your session, save the banks that contained SMOne, close and reload B3, open the broke session, unload all SMOne plugins, save this session with a new name (you shouldn't just trust me enough to overwrite your last known good session), close and reload B3, load the newly saved session, load the banks you saved earlier. Then report back here with your stories of success or failure.
    Note I'm on iOS 11.4 and SMOne 1.1.1

Note, I don't know if this will work if you have already saved over your known good session after you experienced the loading problem. Please do test and report back anyway if you're already in dire straits.

Update: I've only managed to recover one bank this way so far. =\

I’ll give it a try, thanks 🙂

• All instances working, but all but 1 back to first patch. So, mixed success, but not bad 😊
    Funny thing, though, some patterns are missing in the playlist (but are present in ‘pattern helper’) 🤔