Fabfilter Pro-Q2 is here $29.99USD and AUv3

13»

Comments

• @ronji said:

@silentvortex said:
    Also curious if anyone can confirm if sidechain works within BM3 for ProQ? I'm gathering from other forums that it may not be functioning within BM3 as a host and there are a couple of the powerful features of ProQ that require sidechaing

I'm actually not as familiar with pro-Q as I may seem, and I've never used side chaining with it, but from I've read online just now, I don't think B3's current mixer capabilities and in/out selections can work for the sidechain stuff in pro-Q. You're supposed to be able to send a signal to the specific pro-Q sidechain input, and I can't see how to do that.

Thanks. I'm not familiar either haha but I watched a few tutorials. Sidechain lets you use EQ match where you can analyze a reference audio source and then apply the eq profile to your own file. Sidechain also lets you overlay two signals in analyzer for things like EQ bass and kick drums that occupy same space. Definitely seems powerful but I'll assume those options will eventually be enabled in BM3

• @ronji said:
    Note that n-Track updated on 7/15 to support "effects sidechain (works with n-Track Compressor built-in effect and with AU plugins supporting sidechain input, f.e. FabFilter Pro-Q 2)"

So it's possible, so we should get this functionality in B3 at some point =)

We need to hold off on these requests until somebody declares that it is defined by Apple as defacto standard, we cant even use Rozetta because of those muggs at Cupertino ****ing developers with lack of information.

@brambos is sidechain defined cleary do ypu know, in the AU non documentation ?

• @5pinlink said:
    @brambos is sidechain defined cleary do ypu know, in the AU non documentation ?

Sidechain is not specifically mentioned in the docs/API headers. However, it is absolutely possible to have multiple audio inputs in an AUv3 effect. However there are a preciously few hosts that support it.

In fact, the picture above (n-Track) is the first time I ever saw support for it in any iOS host.

• edited July 2018

So the side-chain feature of DDMF NY Compressor also hasn't worked in any host either until n-Track's update a few days ago? That's what I was starting to think as I was searching for mention of any host that supported sidechain audio for AUv3, but I thought I had to just be missing something. I kept reading "not many hosts support this" but then NO names of even one host that supports it. n-Track is the first?

• So this could be another MIDI AU/Full screen debacle :(

• I mean if multiple audio inputs can be revealed by the AUv3 plugin and the host can see them as they're made available, this shouldn't be a huge issue right? If we could just choose where a send goes, rather than them being locked to send 1 = aux 1, then we could say send 1 = Sidechain input of FabFilter Pro-Q 2, as it is pretty much in this doc: https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/support/externalsidechaining

I for one don't have n-Track to test this, but it doesn't seem like it would be something Apple could mess up like the plugin scaling... or am I being too optimistic?

• edited July 2018

@ronji said:
    I mean if multiple audio inputs can be revealed by the AUv3 plugin and the host can see them as they're made available, this shouldn't be a huge issue right? If we could just choose where a send goes, rather than them being locked to send 1 = aux 1, then we could say send 1 = Sidechain input of FabFilter Pro-Q 2, as it is pretty much in this doc: https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/support/externalsidechaining

I for one don't have n-Track to test this, but it doesn't seem like it would be something Apple could mess up like the plugin scaling... or am I being too optimistic?

We're still awaiting Apples GarageBand update (with support for the Pro-Q 2) so who knows.
    Maybe we'll see how it should be done once it's out?

• edited July 2018

So you have never used VST then ?
    VST 2.4 doesn't support sidechain but multiple ins/outs no problem.
    VST 3 supports sidechain.
    Developers of plugins and hosts had sidechain working immediately in VST 2.4, note that those 2.4 plugins had to be reworked to work in VST 3 (a standard that took a long ling time for anybody to support because of this)

Sidechain as is now in IOS, user defines sidechain input etc manually, extra buses/sends created (Works perfectly)
    Possible sidechain as Apple may have envisioned but told nobody (VST3 style) turning on sidechain in the plugin self creates a sidechain destination, any source can be used, elegant yes, clever yes, works with the sidechain being set manuallyn(as is now) no lol.

Do we give Apple the benefit of the doubt (Hows that FAC fullscreen or StepPolyArp working out for you in B3 lol)

• @5pinlink I actually have very little VST experience. My background is that I was trying to recreate the Mortal Kombat theme in Fruity Loops 2.something (I was like, 17?), then Sandstorm :joy:, eventually purchased the $200 producer version license (lifetime free upgrades what what), then going gaga for mobile music apps in 2009 (bleep!BOX yesss), finally bought Ableton Live Suite 9 about 2 years ago but mainly use audio and internal plugins, and here I am after a year of BeatMaker 3. So I trust your history lessons, and I just look forward to the upward movement of mobile music production to keep on going. What a time to be alive.

• To be fair, the only history lesson of any import is the recent ones if AU MIDI and fullscreen AU, anybody who trusts a feature before Aplle implement it in Garageband and define the standard is walking a very thin line of defining a dead "nearly standard"

• So I gave in and this is a stunning/amazing plugin. It is like someone pouring hot gravy in my ears, in a good way.

• @Audiogus said:
    So I gave in and this is a stunning/amazing plugin. It is like someone pouring hot gravy in my ears, in a good way.

Awwwww Yeah!!! 🤗😁👊

• It’s dope have the Auria full suite this initially hurt but it speeds things up for me in bm3. Just hope we get a new update soon

• @tk32 said:
    Seriously tempted now - even if just to place on my master bus so that I can monitor the frequencies and 'fix the mix'

The spectrum analyzer is a really great way to visually check for things like over-hyped bass frequencies when you're mixing on headphones/earphones - as I often do.

Yes one of the no Brainerd for me the visuals are key when I’m mobile

• @samu said:

@groovey said:
    Hey @samu coukdnt you have created the vintage speech sounds more easily with other AU vocoders ? And what does quanta do?

Quanta is a new Granular synth from AudioDamage which ticks in most of the boxes for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=XEozcvZ72K8

The computer generated speech synths have a certain charm to them, there is a web-based SAM to check out.
    https://simulationcorner.net/index.php?page=sam

As far as I know rbSAM uses the same code for generating the speech and with Files.app support it's easy to move the generated samples into BM3 :)

Dude, thanks for SAM SAMU. LOL!

• edited August 2018

@ronji said:
    I then decided to try with a different session, one which only contains samples and no FX at all, no AU anything, and just started adding pro-Q to each track, while the track was looping. The first thing I noticed is that I got the glitchy playback stop issue immediately upon adding an 8th instance (sound glitches to a stop, the playhead moves at something like quarter speed or less, all sound is lost until B3 is reloaded). Next time, I tried this again and stopped at 7 instances, and again couldn't see a measurable impact on CPU. Maybe a couple percent increase? It shifts around so much it’s hard to tell.

I hope the devs and beta team are doing some of this kind of testing on 3.1 before it's released.

An update just dropped for this that says memory usage was optimized. I loaded up that same session I was testing with before, and I was able to add additional instances of Pro-Q 2 to the rest of the 13 tracks, with absolutely no issues. I saved and quit B3 and reloaded the session and everything is still fine. I then just added more banks and wasn’t able to cause any issues up to 25 instances (one of which is on the master).

• Slick !!!!

• Wow crazy!!

• Oh Snap!
    Yessssss!!
    <3 <3 <3

• edited August 2018

Congrats @ronji , your video just got a mention over on discchord...

http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/29/fabfilter-pro-q-2-update

I bet you wish you had enabled ads for the video now :p

• edited August 2018

Oh yeah, that 24 pence for 3.5 million views goes such a long way lol.
    Google and Apple, gouging for the 21st century.

• Oh nice! Hahaha

• @tk32 said:
    Congrats @ronji , your video just got a mention over on discchord...

http://discchord.com/appnews/2018/08/29/fabfilter-pro-q-2-update

I bet you wish you had enabled ads for the video now :p

Nice one 😁